Taegukgi HK version out November 5th

Discussion in 'DVD' started by mathieu_l, Oct 21, 2004.

1. mathieu_l

mathieu_l Auditioning

Good news for fans of the movie, the HK version of Taegukgi will be out soon. According to Layoyo.com, it's suppose to have Korean DTS and Dolby 6.1EX, widescreen video and English subtitles. The disc is Region 3 NTSC and the price is HK$116.

2. Harminder

Harminder Second Unit

That's great news. I didn't buy the Korean Limited Edition because it didn't have DTS.

I saw the trailer for this while I was on a bus in Hong Kong. Can't wait to see it. [​IMG]

3. DanFe

DanFe Second Unit

Yes, but is this the Director's cut which is supposed to be longer? It implies that it is, but there is no timing listed. The theatrical is 149 minutes. How long is this one?

4. Kris Deering

Kris Deering Stunt Coordinator

Kris Deering
    I just finished watching the Korean release. Outstanding film. The transfer is one of the best I have seen to date. The Dolby mix is outstanding as well. I don't see DTS bringing anything more to the table with this one.

5. Harminder

Harminder Second Unit

That's what I thought about Bad Boys II (R1), but after listening to the Superbit edition of it... I'm still trying to get over the amazing DTS track. [​IMG]

Taegukgi DTS... can't wait.

6. Les Fowler

Les Fowler Extra

I have the Limited Edition which is superb in all respects , but for DTS 6.1 I.ll go for it. As for the directors cut , it seems to be only 1 minute longer !! I only hope the video quality stands up to the L.E.

7. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Is the HK disc spread across two discs like the Korean set?

8. Eric.

Eric. Stunt Coordinator

Ok here it is,my official verdict on Tae Guk Gi .Well the short version is it is the best war movie i have ever seen in my life.A hands down winner but there are several reasons why.
    The obvious comparison is with Saving Private Ryan because of the similar filming of the chaos of war,that is however where they both go there own separate ways.The emphasis here is on real people who are flawed,conflicted and human.They have nothing in common with the characters in SPR who are more stoic models of how Americans see themselves and how they would like the rest of the world to think of them.
    This movie has much more in common with Oliver Stone's "Platoon" where things are not so black and white but a very murky grey.Kang Je-Gyu is way more skilled than Ollie at bringing his characters to life in a realistic way though and this is what sets this movie above all other war movies.
    This is no place for the squeamish either as the consequences of combat are shown in a very up close and personal way.Be warned this movie does not pull any punches and you will be shocked by some of the gruesome attention to detail.
    The story revolves around two brothers who get drafted into the Korean war,they have a strong bond with eachother but very different ideas on what is morally right or wrong.These questions are explored in a very deep and realistic way.Thats the core that makes this movie so great.A rare gem for movie lovers.
    As for the dvd (Asia video hk)well the transfer is great with clear,crisp detail and easy to read subs(White).The dts soundtrack is clear and active as you would expect but it isn't in the same class as SPR.This seems to be one thing where Hollywood's higher budget still has a clear advantage in,most of the modern war movies like (SPR,Black hawk down,Pearl harbour,We were soldiers ect) clearly outperform Taegukgi in the sound department.There are also a few quick CGI effects that look a bit dodgy but overall this has no adverse effect on the emotional impact of the movie.As it turns out the bigger budget effects don't translate into a better movie.

The final word is you need this dvd if your serious about movies in any way.The 2 best movies for the year both from south Korea.Who would have thunk it?[​IMG]