What's new

Tae Guk Gi and Der Untergang DVDs (1 Viewer)

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Thought I would save some space by inquiring about two films that have alot in common with each other.

Anyway, has anyone seen these films? The trailers and the subject matter really appeal to me because both films share that trait of depicting situations we really haven't seen before in detail or at all (Hitler's last days and the Korean conflict as well as being told from the respective sides) plus the films look absolutely stunning.

Does anyone know if the DVD of Tae Guk Gi will be subtitled? I really hope so. And has anyone heard plans of releasing Der Untergang over here anytime soon whether in DVD or theatrically. Both DVDs are on my most wanted list for this year.

Jonathan White

Stunt Coordinator
If you are multi region compatible you could get the region 3 of Tae Guk Gi. I've got it and it is STUNNING. Very cheap also.

Matt_M

Stunt Coordinator
I really enjoyed Tae Guk Gi. The way the battle scenes were made reminded me very much of Saving Private Ryan. The story of course is quite different but definately a great movie. This was the biggest budget movie in Korea so far and also the most popular. I got the HK version of the movie picture quality is good and the DTS track kicks ass! :D . So if you like war movies I would definately recommend it.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
I've seen Tae Guk Gi and it's spectacular. Saving Private Ryan was an obvious influence, not just on the battle scenes (which I think are even more graphic than SPR) but on the framing device. Except I like the framing device *better* in Tae Guk Gi than the one in SPR. I found it far more moving and that dissolve near the end back to present time is devastating.

A movie not to be missed. I'm glad I had the chance to see it in the theater. It played at my favorite multiplex (!) for two weeks.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Sony is releasing a region 1 2-disc special edition on Feb. 15. Pending them sending me a screener, I plan to review it here.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Thanks for the info. Tae Guk Gi sounds like my kind of movie. Seems like it's getting a good DVD treatment as well. Not too big a deal for me, but is it 16x9 enhanced? Didn't see any mention of it so I figure it isn't. I'm still picking it up on the 15th!

I take it there really isn't any info about Der Untergang. It's supposed to be shown in NY on the 18th of February but I don't see any other plans for it over here, which is saddening. I am sure it will make it to DVD, but some people think it may generate controversy over here because it may not show Hitler as being completely overwhelmingly evil (which is an absurd reason to me). But that's just what I read.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

It will be a big deal when you buy your next TV! ;)

Pretty much everything Sony's released lately has been anamorphic (with the exception of Return To The Blue Lagoon, which just arrived and only lists Fullscreen on the back :frowning: ), so I'd expect this one to be anamorphic as well.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Well, of course 16x9 enhancement is important to me, but unlike alot of people, I don't "need" it. I would be satisfied with just getting the movie.

Armin Jager

Stunt Coordinator

There's no hurry for a US-DVD, Der Untergang will appear in Germany on 17th March in a 2-DVD-edition (German with german subtitles). It's a quite expensive production and was one of the biggest successes in Germany in the last years. It features Bruno Ganz as Hitler and our most hopeful young star, Alexandra Maria Lara.

Unfortunately the huge success completely overshadowes G.W.Pabsts 1955 version of the events which is also a very powerful film, but strangely unknown.

Anthony Wolfe

Stunt Coordinator
I was going to make a thread on this a while ago, but assumed it was covered. Anyway, I think Tae Guk Gi looks to be quite a film and I can't wait for the DVD treatment. It's harsh that Der Untergang is getting a German release but nothing here (yet), but meh, how many movies get US releases for a long time? So I guess I can't complain as much.

Anywho, I'll be ordering Tae Guk Gi right now.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Thanks for the link, David. Heh, funny that one of my favorite films of last year was a foreign one, looks like this year may be a repeat of the same kind of thing. That's just going by what I have heard and read about this film.

Can't wait!

As far as Der Untergang, I think it has a good chance of getting the best Foreign Picture Oscar (notwithstanding some kind of sinister politically motivated conniving:)), and if that happens, we should see it hit the fasttrack to DVD. Here's hoping.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
You fans of foreign war-themed (well, sorta war-themed) films can also check out my review of Želary, which I just posted. :)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I saw Tae Guk Gi last year and thought it was just an average movie. I didn't connect with any of the characters.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
DOWNFALL begins a NY engagement on 2/18 and given its Oscar nomination is likely to roll out gradually across the US. It depends more on the distributor than on any other factor I imagine.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I had the pleasure of seeing this film last night and...wow! This is one of the finest films I've EVER seen. The performances are all amazing and frightening at the same time. This film is a downer, from the constant bombardment of approaching Russian artillery to the 'doom and gloom' mood of knowing the end is very near that permeates the grimy bunker where many await their fate. The filmmakers have taken you back to Berlin in 1945, and the world they've created is horribly realistic.

Bruno Ganz turns in one of the finest performances I have ever experienced. He simply nails the role. The way his emotional range goes from depressed to hellish explosions of rage in no time flat are testament to his tremendous skill.

They need to get this on DVD very soon. This week actually marks the 60th anniversary of the events portrayed in the film and they should have tied it in with this release.

I haven't seen the film that beat this one out at the Oscars, but I cannot imagine it is even close to the greatness of this one. I don't see it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks