What's new

Tactile Transducers (Home Theater Builder DIY) (1 Viewer)

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Well, after reading this article in Home Theater Builder, I have decided to spend my Christmas money on a tactile transducer, but I was wondering what everyone thinks about the three companies and products that were discussed in the article?
AuraSound, Inc.
Clark Synthesis, Inc.
The Guitammer Company inc.
The article states, "There are differences in the various manufactures' designs and the way they accomplish the sense of feeling. So choose the right one is important. Size, fidelity, power, handling and efficiency are good shopping criteria."
Well, I have the article now to know how to install one, but which is the best one? I don't have a lot of money, which makes me want to go with the AuraSound, but I think the cheapest of the Clark Synthesis would still be in my price rage as well. I am sure the Butt Kicker is good, but it seems to be a little large for my apt and more expensive as well.
So, let me know how everyone likes their products and I will base my purchase on them. (I would love to try them out before I buy, but there is no one in my area that sells them.
Also, a quick question, I am powering my SVS Sub with a KLH stereo amp, couldn't I just send the right speaker output (that I am not using) to the tactile transducer? Thanks for all your help and assistance! I look forward to spending my Christmas money!

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Since no one has chimed in I will =)
I have a pair of 50 watt aura pro shakers installed in my couch powered by a 100 watt monoblock amp. The amp is fed the line-out signal from the sub. The pair are wired in a series for an 8 ohm load. I bought them off ebay for $80 bucks, bought the amp used here for $90.
All in all, I love 'em, they add to the experience. Also a plus since I live in an apartment, I can turn the big sub off & run just the shakers.
As far as your wiring suggestion, I have no idea =)

John H

Second Unit
Grady,
I have been using tactile transducers in my system for several years now. I use them to activate a queen size adjustable bed in my bedroom based system.
My first setup was an array of 8 RBH FX80 units.(ultra high performance Aura) I used these for over a year and decided to upgrade.
I replaced the entire array with a pair of Clark Synthesis 329F models. A year later I upgraded to a pair of Clarks Platinum models when they made their debut.
The Clarks were a significant performance improvement over the RBH units. They offerd much more control and detail.
At that time I also installed a pair of "original" Buttkickers and Carvin DCM1000 amplifiers. The Clarks are exceptional units but when in comes to low frequency extension and output the Buttkicker has absolutely no peers!
I now drive the BK's with a pair of bridged Crown K2 amplifiers, 2500w available to each.
I use a pair of subharmonic synthesizers on their signal. A Paradigm X-30 lowpassed at 35Hz sums the 2 processors signals before feeding the power amplifiers.
I have no experience with the Buttkicker2. It is a revised version of the original. It is smaller and more efficient and according to the manufacture offers equivalent performance.
IMO any properly implemented tactile transducer setup only adds to the the HT enjoyment experience.
John

Mike Poindexter

Stunt Coordinator
I will add my $0.02 to this thread. I have an Odyssee motion simulator and was looking at adding these to my system for the additional seating in my theater. I didn't want to spend the high dollars for another set of Odyssee actuators but wanted something for the chairs that are occassionally occupied.

I wish I could say more, but there is something new in the works that will be, um, a new top of the line for the tactile transducers. Think of it like the poor man's Odyssee. While I am not privy to what is being developed, I heard enough from some people I was able to put together what is coming out and I think I know how they are going to do it. As it wasn't made official, I think it would be best to not say what I know except that something REALLY cool will be coming out for those who cannot afford the Odyssee...

Mark Rejhon

Auditioning
>>I wish I could say more, but there is something new in the works that will be, um, a new top of the line for the tactile transducers. Think of it like the poor man's Odyssee. While I am not privy to what is being developed, I heard enough from some people I was able to put together what is coming out and I think I know how they are going to do it. As it wasn't made official, I think it would be best to not say what I know except that something REALLY cool will be coming out for those who cannot afford the Odyssee...

I really would love to have an Odyssee style motion simulator. This would be the ultimate sound system for myself, being hearing impaired! (Since birth)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks