What's new

tactile transducer question (1 Viewer)

Terry Flink

Stunt Coordinator
Living in a condo has its challenges for a home theater. The shared walls mean that "earth shaking" bass from my SVS 20-39CS needs to be occasional at best. I was wondering about the experiences of people with tactile transducers as this may allow me to "feel" the bass, while still being kind to my neighbors.

Thomas J. Coyle III

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Terry

Do a search on "bass shakers" and your questions will all be answered. I personally have four Aura Bass Shaker Pros attached to an "L" shaped sectional and they work very well. I was driving them with an Audio Source 5.1 amp that puts out 100wrms into 4 ohms. I am now driving the shakers with a ButtKicker power amp that puts out 1000wrms into 4 ohms. I also have a ButtKicker2 bass shaker that will eventually replace the Aura shakers. The bass shakers work very well, but you have to keep the drive signal below 50 Hz for them to work well. My ButtKicker amp has a variable low pass filter that I have set to between 40 and 45 Hz. I am also experimenting with a Rane PE17 parametric equalizer so I can improve the drive signal in the 20-40 Hz region.
Regards,
TCIII

John H

Second Unit
I have been using tactile transducers in my system for 6 years. I use them to activate a queen size bed in a bedroom based system.

I have used RBH (ultra high performance Aura's), Clark Synthesis 329F and Platinum models and currently use 4 platform mounted original Buttkickers driven by a bridged pair of Crown K2 power amplifiers. I use a 20Hz 24db per octave lowpass on their signal.

I highly recommend a TT arrangement.

John

John H

Second Unit
How are the Clark Platinums compared with the Buttkickers?
At the time I upgraded my pair of 329F's to the Platinum models I also installed my first pair of BK's for direct comparison. While the Clarks were nice performers they could not come close to the BK's low end extension and output. When it comes to low frequency output the Buttkicker has no peers.

I have no experience with the smaller BK2. According to the manufacture...

Efficiency & Power:

"The ButtKicker® 2 has an improved magnetic circuit that increases the unit's overall efficiency and power, and in certain installations may reduce the amount of amplification it requires. This efficiency increase causes the ButtKicker® to be even more responsive, and to have a tighter, "on-the-beat" transient response that even the most demanding musicians and engineers will appreciate. And although the piston weight has been slightly reduced, the ButtKicker® still moves the tremendous amount of mass it has become famous for."

John

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Tactile transducers are an excellent way to "feel" the lfe without having the walls shaking too.... My son HAD a wife who couldn't stand the sub sound (I think it must have rattled her airhead) so he installed some shakers to suppliment his sub feel..... solved his problem......

Personally I"ve had TT's for over 2 years now and now my HT simply isn't the same without them. Love to shake my booty..........;)

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
For my info... what are most of you folks doing as I am interested. Are you attaching them to your sofa or chair or under your wood floor? My problem is a large couch which is the main watching area but have two large chairs off to the side that if everyone is watching something together would need them as well if they had to be mounted in chairs or couches only. I consider myself an average do it yourselfer guy when I have time. Is this something I really can consider doing myself? I have heard or read horrer stories here about people getting their shakers with no instructions and such. I would not know the difference between wiring in parrellel or series and stuff without some reference to work with. Thanks

John H

Second Unit
Are you attaching them to your sofa or chair or under your wood floor?
The first 3 years all my TT installations were coupled directly to my furniture. Even my first pair of Buttkickers. I now use platforms fitted with isolation feet. The Aura's need to be mounted directly to furniture. You would need the larger TT's to activate a platform or wood floor.

There is another TT that has just been recently released that rests directly underneth the furnitures legs without modification.

Crowson Technology

John

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
So in other words with a large family room with multiple chairs the buttkicker is the way to go or would one need more than one mounted under the wood floor?

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Mike, For a simple installation and great tactile feedback, I'd recommend putting two shakers in your couch and one each in your chairs. Two paiar can be hooked to anamp at 4 ohms and do a great job. When you get your hands on everything, post and some of us will guide you through the wiring......... which really isn't as complex as it may seem.........

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the help offer. So I take it that the bass shakers under the couch and chairs are a better idea than the butt kicker under the entire seating area?

John H

Second Unit
So I take it that the bass shakers under the couch and chairs are a better idea than the butt kicker under the entire seating area?
That depends on what fits into your budget and what your expectations are. The Aura installation will be quite less expensive. And while it is possibly going to be an easier installation it is not going to extend anywhere near as low and offer the performance of a BK installation.

Although properly installed the Aura's will definitely add to the HT experience. Many use the Aura's and are very pleased with their performance.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks