What's new

Table Saw recommendation (1 Viewer)

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
I am looking to get a table saw but could use some of advice - just bought my first house and want to try out a few projects. I was happy to see that they are a lot less than I expected but have no idea which are good and which should be avoided. I am going to get it either at Lowes, The Home Depot or Sears and want to spend about $200 - $300. Any recommendations would be very helpful. I saw a couple of Craftsmans ones I liked but not sure how they stack up againt some of the other popular brands. I am a novice at this stuff if that makes any difference.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
The Ryobi table saw is a great value. It's solidly built, has a great factory fence that locks securely and stays parallel to the blade, and it has the best (that I know of) factory miter fence of all the budget table saws. It's big and stable enough to accommodate large sheet goods (4x8 plywood, for example) with outfeed rollers, but small enough so you can push it off to the side of the garage and still get the car in. I've had mine for almost 20 years, and it's still going strong. In all that time, the design has changed very little, which, I think, is a testimony to its functionality and reliability.

Actually, truth be told, I wouldn't get most other Ryobi power tools. They're not at all bad, but they're not great, either. They're about the same level of quality as Black & Decker. But some tools, like circular saws and table saws, don't even have elements like journal bearings or jack bearings which Ryobi (and B&D) are known to cheap out on. So without those parts to go bad, the Ryobi table saw is a much better tool than most other Ryobi tools.

There are a lot of good table saws in that price range. Find one that has the following features, and you'll be do great:

* The fence should lock down securely on BOTH ends, front and back.

* The fence should remain perfectly parallel to the blade each time it is moved and locked down. (Don't expect the fence to remain parallel to the blade while it's not secure.)

* The table should be made of machined aluminum or cast iron. Stamped steel, even heavy gauge, will never stay flat.

* The factory miter fence (if you intend to use one) should be more than a protractor on a stick. Something with a large, beefy miter fence that locks down in two places is best. Aftermarket miter fences are usually better than factory miter fences, but they add considerable cost, and some factory miter fences really are quite good.

* Controls should be easy to use for YOU.

That's really about it.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The Craftsman table saws aren't bad either.
I worked in a cabinet shop for eight years. We used a Craftsman table saw for doing dados. That's all it was used for.

The majority of table saw cuts were done on an industrial strength Delta Unisaw. It has an eight h.p. motor, and cost about $2k........ :)
Good luck!

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Andrew,
Fine Homebuilding, a magazine I have a lot of faith in, has covered this subject.
If your library gets this periodical you might check the back issues.

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
Well it looks like the table saw purchase may be put on hold - was mowing the lawn today and the mower broke down.

This will give me plenty of time to research for a table saw, will check out the Fine Homebuilding mag.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Yeah, those Delta "Big Rigs" are nice. :)

Good call on the Fine Homebuilding article, Henry. I haven't been able to keep up with that mag because, ironically enough, of some remodeling I'm currently doing. I'm almost a year behind. :eek:

I just wanted to add one more thing: when you get around to getting your table saw, get good carbide blades. If the saw comes with a blade, it's probably not worth using. (Disclaimer: it's been a while since I've looked at blades packaged with table saws, so YMMV.) If you're really on a budget and can afford only one blade to start out, get a "combination blade" or "universal blade". Though it's something of a compromise, it will do both cross cuts and rip cuts quite well and is great for every-day use.

Keep us posted!

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit

A friend of mine said the same thing about the blade. I will definately get a decent one but for now the projects I have are very basic and nice smooth cuts are not necessary. But eventually I would like to use the table saw to try out a pair of DIY speakers. Then I will upgrade the blade. This year is all about some rudimentary shelves in a closet for office supplies and linens.

I think I am going to go to home depot as I have a gift certificate and a 10% coupon.

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
Just want to give an update - ended up getting this Ridgid saw at Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=8125

It was more than I originally wanted to spend but I got lucky in that the price listed at the store was from a sale a week ago but because they hadnt changed it yet I got the sale price. I want this to last a long time and felt I would outgrow a cheap table saw in a couple of years. Also, I want to use it to try out speaker building so clean, accurate cuts are important.

I had narrowed it down to a Bosch or Ridgid but every single review I read for the Ridgid was very positive, not a bad one anywhere to be found. The bosch was a portable model with collapsing stand. Both are very nice and either would have been fine but the Ridgid seemed just a tad better.

Getting it home was a bit of an ordeal but its now in my garage waiting for assemebly. It is one heavy son-of-a-gun thats for sure.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Congratulations on the purchase. Now before you make one single cut with it go out and purchase or make them yourself several push sticks and always have them in easy reach when you are working.

Two other tips from an old woodworking vet. One, make sure your workshop is properly illuminated. One of the biggest mistakes people make is to have few to lights in their workshop. An under illuminated workshop leads to eye fatigue, which leads to tiredness which results in trouble.

The second tip, never make any cuts when you are the least bit tired. The time you save by making those last few cuts before you call it quits for the night are never worth the digits you could lose.

Have fun and safe time woodworking.

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit

Thanks!

I need to get a couple of tools to put the saw together and will get some push sticks. When I was reading the manual and spotted them I realized I forgot to get them.

Light will not be an issue. The previous owner of the house I just bought spent a lot of time in the garage working on his car. As a result there are three good sized overhead lights which make it seem like a bright sunny day in the middle of the night.

This is my first real power tool so safety is very important, for both me and the saw. That reminds me, I also need to get some googles.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Congrats, Andrew! It's good to see that you're taking safety very seriously.

One more bit of advice: Never take woodworking lessons from someone named "Nubby". :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks