TA-P9000ES Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Loiterman, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Mike Loiterman

Mike Loiterman Stunt Coordinator

I just recived this unit yesterday and so far it sounds great. One question though...on the front panel there is a mute LED with a small hole. It would seem that this should be a button rather then a hole.

According to the manual it says to "push" it to turn muting on, but there is nothing to push its just a hole surronded by an LED. The LED does light up when I use the remote to mute it. Also - there is no mention of the remote in the manual. Could it be that there once was a button there before there was a remote included with the unit?

I called J&R, where I got it from, and they say that they're all like that. They said I could exchange it if I wanted, but its all hooked up in my rack and I'd hate to pull it apart, ship it back just to get another one with the same thing. I just wanted to check with actual oweners to be sure.

2. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Stunt Coordinator

Mike:
    I don't have this unit but from the reading that I've done it appears to me that there should be a mute button that lights up when its pressed.
    The best photo of the unit I could find is at Crutchfield. Here's an extra large photo of the TA-P9000ES
    Larry

3. charles_w

charles_w Stunt Coordinator

Mike,
    Do you know who you bought the TA-P9000 from at J&R. I just called them because it wasn't listed on their web site and was told they don't carry it.

Thanks,

Lee

4. Dzung Pham

Dzung Pham Second Unit

Yes, there should be a silver button there, just like the three 6dB/12db buttons over to the left. I'd return it and get a new one.

5. Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson Stunt Coordinator

I second what Dzung said. My unit has a silver button for mute as well. It's a bummer but I would exchange it if I were you.

Greg Johnson

6. Mike Loiterman

I will call to have it exhchanged on Monday, but just out of curiosity, when did you guys get yours? The reason I ask is becuase the guy at J&R said the one they had there didn't have the button either. I guess he could by lying, but I can't really figure any benefit for him to not tell me the truth since he offered to exchange it for me anyway. Is it possible that they don't come with that button anymore? I looked for a manufacture date on the back of mine but all that was there was the serial number which is 800519.

charles:
    just keep calling until you find a salesman bright enough to find it in their database. Its there. I don't remember who I got mine from but they definitly carry them.

7. Dzung Pham

Dzung Pham Second Unit

I got mine about two months ago direct from Sony.

8. Jay.S

Jay.S Auditioning

Mike:

Mine is new too and I have the mute button. Maybe there was a bad run of the product? This type of design change would be a little strange.

Jay

9. Mike Loiterman

I feel a bit silly making a big deal about this, but I paid for a product and feel like it should not be defective or flawed right out of the box. I guess I'll call J&R tomorrow, but I wonder what I'll do if the second one has the same problem...I guess I'm just a worrier! [​IMG]

10. Gary_R

Gary_R Agent

Be grateful you don't have a hum. During "warm up"--2 to 3 minutes--the P9000ES produces a hum in all five channels. It subsides after the initial warm-up, though. I'll be sending it back. I've run into about five or six other owners with the same problem.

Gary

11. Tom Boucher

Tom Boucher Second Unit

Can you even get one? Crutchfields says it isn' in stock or carried any more.

12. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I just received one from Oade Bros. today (www.oade.com) $450 + $25 shipping and am in the process of deciding how I will use the inputs. Was afraid if I waited I would not be able to get one.

13. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor