TA-P9000ES or something else? Suggestions welcome.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim_J_M, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Tim_J_M

Tim_J_M Agent

From the great help Ive gotten here and at another forum, Ive decided to add strict 2 channel capabilities to my HT setup. The Sony ES TA-P9000ES seems to be the popular favorite here and I can get one new for around $500 shipped or used for about $400-$450.
    They are in short supply at the moment and Oade brothers is out of stock for a few days on the Sony so I went searching for another option and came across this.
    http://www.monolithicsound.com/pa-1.html
    Monolithic PA-1 Passive Preamp. With this preamp when you put the knob at the 12:00 position it becomes a true passive preamp bypassing all gain controls. It does everything the Sony does except having a 5.1 input (which my receiver already has) and it doesnt have a remote. By turning the knob to the right I can add up to +6db gain if I so choose when listening to my TT or CDP, or I can keep the gain bypassed and use my source for volume control. I can pick one up used for $300, so about $200 cheaper than the Sony.
    Any thoughts on the PA-1 and/or the TA-P9000ES? ALso any other sub $500 options out there? Thanks in advance.

2. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

The ta-p9000es seems to be one of the best budget components of all time. From expereince, the 12 o'clock thing gets old.

Anthem preamps have ht bypass, as well as cj, and a bunch of opthers. Do a earch for "unity gain" or "ht bypass"

-rob

3. Dre J

Dre J Stunt Coordinator

Adding Fuel to the fire.
    I like the TA-P9000ES
    Take a look at StereophileStereophile

4. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Any analog preamp would do the job you are after - just choose the one that sounds the best and has the features, inputs and outputs you want for stereo.

HT unity bypass thingy just makes the HT source selection a (tiny) bit easier as you don't have to set the preamp volume to the calibration system. Or you could just use a good stereo switch box to bypass the preamp altogether for HT mode.

5. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I just put a Creek OBH-10 volume control between my DVP-S9000ES and the extra 2-channel input on my amp.

It's a very nice little piece which only cost ~$200 and works great.