T2 Glitch?!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Illingworth II, Aug 20, 2001.

1. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

The search function is not working, so I couldn't any previous posts about this.
    I bought the Ultimate Edition a few weeks ago and noticed right away that it had two bad skips in it, right where Sarah first aims her laser sight on Dyson's back, and at the end just before the credits roll.
    Annoyed, I took the disc (DVD-18) back to Target and ordered one from barnesandnoble.com. It finally came in on Friday, and it was the 2-disc version. Well, guess what? The glitches are in there in almost the exact same place. The one with Dyson isn't as bad, but the end credits one is the same.
    Is this a common problem? Have you guys experienced this?

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

This sounds like and issue with your player not 'branching' seemlessly.

3. David Illingworth II

Now that you mention it, my Stargate DVD always skips on one part of the branch as well.
    Well, this is not good news for my DVD player. If I'm going to have to consider replacing it, are there any players which handle branching perfectly?

4. Ed Vandeweerd

Ed Vandeweerd Stunt Coordinator

David,
    I'm wondering whether a Firmware Upgrade to your player by the Manufacturer might solve the problem? I would investigate that first b4 going to the expense of replacing your player. I sent my Toshiba 3109 in for a Firmware upgrade recently. I paid courier costs 1 way they covered the rest and did the upgrade for me at no charge. What do you think?
    ------------------
    Ed Vandeweerd
    [email protected]
    my collection

5. David Illingworth II

I have never heard of that. I have a Hitachi, but maybe they do something like that too. Thanks, I'll look into it.

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

David,
    Both my old Sony DVP-330 and new Panasonic RP-91 handle the seamless branching of T2:UE without any audio dropouts. I did experience this audio glitch using a Toshiba 6200 player. In all cases, the receiver was a Sony 50ES and I was listening to the DTS soundtrack.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Panasonic machines seem to be real good with branching- I've owned 3 and not a single one ever hiccuped on a braching disc.
    -Vince
    ------------------
    http://www.musicianassist.com
    AIM: VinceMaskeeper
    Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here

8. David Illingworth II

The problem is not just audio, it's the video as well. By the way, I use a Technics receiver and it's Dolby Pro-Logic. (Don't think I'm some loser who can't appreciate the good stuff, I just can't afford it.)
    While we're talking, does anybody know if there is a BIG improvement in video quality if you connect the DVD player to the TV using the S-video connection?

9. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

10. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Ah, yes, the Hitachi is notorious for skipping when playing branched DVD's. A friend of mine has the P305 (I think that's the model #) and it does this on the Abyss as well. Sometimes it skips on non branched DVD's as well. Oddly, it's very fast with layer changes.
    Jeff

11. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

You know I recently noticed a branching glitch with my T2:SE disc that I could swear was not there before, what happens is that before every "branch" in the special edition the image "jerks" just before the added scene and it does this in increasingly bad jolts (I.E. as the movie plays on the "branch jerking" gets worse).
    I had loned this dvd out to some people and I was wondering if they had bent the disc while taking it out of the case, I had demonstrated to them how to use a Alpha before I gave it to them....they even did for me and seemed to understand ,well anyway if they had bent the DVD-18 while removing it I was wondering if this could cause the branch glitching that I now see in the disc?
    By the way I have The Abyss - ID4 & Stargate SE and I have not seen these problems in those DVD's.
    ------------------
    -Kevin M.
    "Have a good time all the time........that's my philosophy, Marty."
    [Edited last by Kevin M on August 20, 2001 at 10:02 PM]

12. David Illingworth II

Until this point I have been very happy with the Hitachi. I've had it for over a year now. I have found it to move pretty quickly, but it takes a while to get through those T2 menus, although I think they're some of the coolest ones around.
    I know some people don't like them and think they're too slow and showy, but I think they add something extra. However, I was pretty annoyed with the X-men menus. WAY too slow to start the disc, and then there's that extremely loud (and not at all soothing) motorcycle running during the special features menu. Who fell asleep at the wheel?