What's new

T2 Extreme vs. T2 Ultimate comparison screenshots (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm sold too, I was very impressed at those screenshots. :emoji_thumbsup:

I have one question though as i'm a tad confused, how are you guy's going to watch an HD version of the film from this dvd? :confused:

If dvd's native resolution is 480p how is it possible to view it at 1080i? Or is the computer simply upconverting it?

Gruson

Second Unit
John,

There is a WM9 encoded version of the film which is actually at 1080p. You need a HTPC with at least a 2.5GHz CPU, half gig RAM, and a nice AGP and sound card. Then you have to use a program called Powerstrip to set up the correct resolution to your HDTV. It takes time but there is nothing like watching HD from your computer.

I cannot wait for T2 in 1080i! :)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Someone asked to see a picture of the new metal case. I don't think this will help, but here's the front of the box, an image from DVDPlanet:

Actually, I can't even tell that it's metal at all.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Matt and Sam,

Have you been able to compare the audio tracks?

Also, I would like to hear about comparisons done on your TV displays. Thanks.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Man those shots of the LA skyline make a believer out of me. It almost looks like laserdisk vs DVD. I will have to get this version but keep my old one as well.

Britton

Screenwriter
I kind of like the fact that the menus for both the UE and EE have the same design with some minor differences. It gives the DVDs a sense of continuity.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I watched this on my television (a 40" Toshiba HDTV) tonight.

The Extreme Edition has an almost reference quality transfer. It is much better than the transfer contained on the Ultimate Edition (which I really had no problems with, but when you compare it to the Extereme Edition, it's almost a night and day difference). The only problems that lie within the transfer for the Extreme Edition mostly deals with the print source used for the transfer (as it is over ten years old). If one wants the best looking version of T2 on the market (with the exception of the D-VHS), this is the way to go.

The Dolby Digital 5.1 EX soundtrack seems the same as the one on the UE DVD (to my ears). Both are really agressive soundtracks and both DVDs do one hell of a job at making the film sound good. But the Extereme Edition ditches the DTS-ES (Matrixed) soundtrack for a Dolby Headphone soundtrack.

Now the biggest problem I have is that for a re-release is with the exception of the new transfer, there is really no reason to upgrade. With the exception of the new audio commentary with Cameron and co-writer William Wisher (I listened to bits and pieces and it's informative, but the two guys are having fun watching the film), the extras here are lackluster. The trivia subtitle track does repeat a lot of information said on the commentary track and the extended branching to the behind-the-scenes footage runs very short. Now on disc two, since the HD version of the film takes up most of the space, we're left with a 24 minute documentary on the visual effects and an 8 minute montage of behind-the-scenes footage. Oh, and you can't forget the 3 minute trailer for the Ultimate Edition DVD. Oh, and the DVD-ROM features in which you can make yourself look like a terminator.

In all honesty, for what could've been one hell of a re-release was blown once again by Artisan (*cough*Reservoir Dogs*cough*). Artisan could've devoted a 3-4 disc set just to this film, but instead we get what seems like a half-assed release what seems just to cash in on the upcoming sequel. But as I said, the transfer is a great step up from the previous DVD. And if you want the best transfer available, here you go.

I'm personally satasifed with the Ultimate Edition, so I really don't find a need for this Extreme Edition (it's not a title I watch on a regular basis for me to include the set in my collection just for an improved transfer and nothing else). But if anybody wants to take my copy off my hands (of the Extereme Edition), I'll be glad to offer it to someone (that is if they paid me cause I'm not one to give DVDs for free). :)

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
And to those wondering about the DVD cover, think of it like the original Ultimate Edition release. Just a "metal" slipcover with the actual DVD case inside.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Matt,

Thanks for the review. I am very excited about this. ALL I care about is the transfer. I already sold my UE on Ebay for the price of the new one. :)

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Dave, it is a very nice transfer, but I liked the "Film School in a Box" extras of the UE.

I don't like owning two copies of a film (Battle Royale is the exception), so I'm keeping the UE and ditching the EE. Now if you just want the transfer, go ahead and pick it up.

I'm sure Artisan will re-release this title again (T2 is to Artisan as Army of Darkness is to Anchor Bay), so maybe the next release will be a step-up both transfer, sound, and extras wise. :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Gruson,

thanks for the info on viewing the film in 1080i, it sounds like a lot of hardware is needed for this though.

So here's the obvious question, if this is possible to do, why not do this with all dvd's, hence an HD DVD of sorts right now? Too expensive perhaps?

The simple fact that this can even be done right now, to me anyway, is huge news! Is it safe to say that Aritsan is the first to do this?

Stephen Ford

Stunt Coordinator
Sam Davatchi,

Just set up the Proxy Setting in Internet Explorer with the following and get that license

Server: exodus.broward.cc.fl.us
Port: 80

That's it, enjoy.

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
When it was released, I mentioned in a thread right here that the T2: Ultimate Edition just didn't impress me with its transfer (the DTS track was another matter!)

People jumped on me for that. Sam's screenshot comparisons finally show how T2 should have looked. Great job Sam!

Now if there was only a way to sync up the EE to the DTS audio on the UE...

Andy_MT

Second Unit
the only way i'll be owning this dvd is if the president of artisan flies over to the uk, drives up to my house, hands the dvd over to me (with no charge) and sincerely apologies for recycling the (joke) transfer from their 97 release on the UE. and only then, will i consider owning it.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
What annoys me is that Artisan used the OLD transfer for the D-Theater release, which is only slightly better than the p/24 transfer, the D-Theater would have been much better (more so on very large screens). :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks