T.V reception question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by glen donald, Mar 5, 2003.

1. glen donald

glen donald Extra

O.K here's the deal,

I live in an area that sucks big time in terms of T.V reception. I've asked the Pros to install the biggest outdoor antenna as well with the most powerful booster, but my T.V reception still sucks - The picture is grainy on normal reception while digital reception is sometimes smudgy.

Is there a way I can fix this problem?

What about Satellite dish?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Glen, if you're located in an area that prevents good OTA reception (lots of tall buildings or steep hills or mountains or too much distance from the transmission tower), the biggest antenna in the world won't help (unless it's hundreds of feet high). And a signal booster will only amplify the signal's shortcomings even more.

If you have an unobstructed view of the southernmost portion of the sky, go with the DBS option.

3. Vern.S

Vern.S Extra

Glen,

Go to http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/DishPointerServlet and enter your ZIP code. It will then tell you the direction and angle to the DirecTV Satellite. You can then go outside to where you might install the dish and see if there is a clear path to the spot in the sky where the satellite is supposed to be.

If there are buildings, mountains, trees, etc in the way, DirecTV won't get a good signal either.

Vern

4. James Dailey

James Dailey Auditioning

Does Direct TV broadcast the network affiliates in Hi-Def? Or do you just get HDNet, HBO and Showtime at Hi-Def?

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    No. For now, only HDNet, HBO, Showtime and HD PPV although they might add NBA HD like Dish network did. Dish, OTOH, has now added CBS HD to their list for select areas--still no other HD locals though. Also, Dish does Discovery HD (for a fee) instead of HDNet. Might want to check w/ them instead.

_Man_

6. glen donald

glen donald Extra

Hi Guys,

I am outside the U.S so that website can't help me there [​IMG]

I live down a hill with lots of buildings on the top, so I guess this means 'tough luck' huh?

cheers,