T.V. as center channel??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Al Tank, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Al Tank

Al Tank Auditioning

I have a Toshiba 57H81. Was wondering if it would be a good idea to just use it's own speaker as my center, and buy new mains. Do you think it would sound good enough??

Thanks

2. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Depends,

If you use a receiver with any substancial power, you will blow them out.

Buy a center!

3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

No. You will likely have a timbre (tonal) mismatch between the main speakers and the tv speakers. Buy your mains together with a matching center speaker.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I agree completely with BryanZ.

5. eric nyhof

eric nyhof Stunt Coordinator

TV speakers are usually pretty crappy quality. For a decent sounding hometheater you're going to want to use a seperate center channel, prefferebly one that matches your main speakers.

6. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

This has been discussed before and the overwhelming sentiment was that is shouldn’t be done. First timbre matching is impossible and as stated above TV speakers are not just sometimes crap but very low quality in comparison with HT speakers by good brands. If you have good speakers you could go without one for a while and play your system in stereo mode (Heck some people prefer the sound). If you properly calibrate your speakers you may be surprised that you swear you have a center channel when you don’t. After I calibrated my speakers I have played movies and I can ask people which speakers certain things are coming out of and they will say right, left, center speakers. They have to stick their ear up to the center before they will believe there isn’t sound coming out of it. The downfall is that your voices will be harder for people sitting off center to hear as clearly.

Then when you have enough money to buy a good center, do that.

KyleS

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Hi Al, welcome to the forum. I'm in the situation of not being able to afford to upgrade all at once - I've just got a pair of Axiom M3tis & I'm using them as front speakers with no centre speaker & it works great. Ditch the idea of using the TV's speaker - honestly, your mains if they're halfway decent will work & sound much better.

And as someone said - after spending some time with a sound meter, the 'spread' of sound from left/centre/right is great just using the two speakers.

Then, when the budget suits, buy the matching centre speaker.