T-heater -4 Days and counting! ...almost there!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by SpenceJT, Feb 22, 2006.

1. SpenceJT

SpenceJT Second Unit

Jeff Spencer
    For what it's worth, here are the latest progress photos just in case anyone is interested (perhaps interested, but none are as excited as I am getting to hear my Axioms for the first time)!

My plan is to work on installation of the ceiling all day on Thursday (sofa comes later in the day) and finish up ceiling on Friday.

Saturday will be the day to finally start bringing things out of storage and begin hooking them up!

It sure sounds and feels different down there than it did this morning! Right now I've got about a 1.5 second 'clap' echo. I sure hope ceiling, furniture and wall decor help to mute it or I'm going to be in accoustical hell!

Back to work!

NOTE - distortion in photos is due to the way in which individual photos were stitched together. The software has a problem with merging photos taken from closer than 50 feet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JeffCar

JeffCar Agent

Great Job!! I too am in almost the same position... I have the first layer of wallboard (5/8) up and in comparison to the room when I had fiberglass all over the place.... WOW! What a difference. A veritable echo chamber by comparison. From the looks of the underlayment, are you putting in hardwood on the floor?

3. Steve Ridges

Steve Ridges Stunt Coordinator

I'm almost there too. My carpet is being installed right this moment!

4. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
  5. SpenceJT

SpenceJT Second Unit

Jeff Spencer
    Thanks for the reviews guys!

Good eye Jeff! It is wood ...of a sort. It's DriCore underlayment. 2' by 2' tongue and groove MFB with a dimpled plastic membrane on the underside which raises it up from the cold concrete creating an insulating 'air gap'.

We've put down a nice dark Berber on top of the DriCore.

I'm hoping that a combination of the DriCore underlayment, floating walls and heavily insulated ceiling will help to reduce sound transmission through the rest of the house.

Regards,
    Spence

6. JeffCar

JeffCar Agent

Exactly what I was considering Spence. I used DriCore in my wife's craft room, and am planning on using it in the new HT room. VERY easy to install (as you already know). I too am concerned about sound transmission, but to tell you the truth, I think it is really the application of the 80-20 rule I am looking for.

I built the walls with staggered stud 2x4s on 2x6 top and bottom plates. I insultated the heck out of it (used R13 unfaced on either side of the wall if that makes sense to you) but didn't float the walls on the DriCore. I have already hung the 5/8 drywall, and am waiting on the arrival of some help to put up the 1/2 inch drywall as I am going to be hanging it in 14ft sections. I could have gone to resilient channel, some sort of elastomeric barrier in between drywall layers, etc, but the way I looked at it, the biggest bang which gets me 80% of the sound reduction is what I was shooting for. To get the other 20% the cost really gets prohibitive for the value obtained.

Besides, I have two 36 inch doors in the room..... without spending a FORTUNE on fully sound insulated doors, I think the walls will outperform the doors I get, even though I plan on getting some nice heavy solid core doors with good rubber gasketing. So I figured take my chances that there will be a bit more sound transmission than I want, but the vast majority will be muted (I hope). Of course this is all conjecture, as I have never done this before.... just a lot of reading.

Keep us up to date on the progress, and I hope it tuens out just like you want it to!

Jeff

7. David_MSP

David_MSP Stunt Coordinator

From one "Spence" to another, this looks great! Very nice job! I can only dream about being as far along as you. I'm still in the framing stage and also hope to start up an album in the HTF gallery sometime soon as I track my progress.

Regards,
    David Spencer

8. RonR

RonR Stunt Coordinator

Looking good Spence!