What's new

T.A.M.I. SHOW (1964) (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
It's here!

I actually saw this filmed concert in either very late '64 or early '65. Based in southern California at the time, just turning 18, the T.A.M.I. SHOW ran at the outdoor theater (no cars, you just sat on benches) at my little part of Camp Pendleton.
I have thought for a long time that I still liked all the music from my younger days, but have just added to and expanded my taste.

This may not be completely accurate.

The very young me walked away from the TS during James Brown's performance.

It wasn't easy sharing that with you.

Now, quite rightly, I see that as the highlight of the movie. Some say it is simply the best James Brown & his Famous Flames on video.

But, what follows JB and ends the evening at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium on October 29th 1964 was, The Rolling Stones.
Bill, Brian, Charlie, Keith and Mick; just two years after the group had formed.

O.K. Here are a few other names on the stage that night. The Beach Boys, Chuck Berry, Marvin Gaye, Lesley Gore (the biggest, hottest name there that night!), Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, The Supremes....and hosting the show and doing a couple of their hits, Jan & Dean. Who looked just like average talent from a high school variety show. I say that with affection, I've always loved Jan & Dean.

So, this thing has never had a legit release over the last 45 years. Now it's out in widesceen. It's mono, it always was, and it's black and white.

Hope you understand why I put this in MUSIC.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I was at my brothers house Saturday and while he was scrolling the channels he past by this. I made him stop and go back because I remembered what I thought was the "Tammy" show (I was only 5-6 years old in '64-'65). I hadn't heard or thought about that name in who knows how many years. I thought it was going to be a sit-com but when we read the description/credits I knew I was going to have to watch it sooner or later, which I will.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Looking forward to the release of this, which is due next week I believe.

Little Steven's Underground Garage has dedicated several shows to the TAMI show over the years. They're worth checking out in the web site's archive section:

http://www.littlestevensundergroundgarage.com/member_area/membership_free.htm

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
"T.A.M.I." was used to mean both Teenage Awards Music International and Teen Age Music International.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm looking forward to this as well. I remember it from a TV airing back when MUCH MUSIC started up. That means I never saw the Beach Boys or the Stones from what I recall. James Brown & Chuck Berry though were amazing. My jaw dropped when I saw this was getting a release. Can't wait. :)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I watched this a couple of weeks ago on the PBS station in my area - they were offering the DVD up as a reward for making a donation at a specified level during their fund drive. The show is fantastic and I will definitely be picking this up. From Amazon:

Filmed at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, October 29, 1964, performances include:
Jan & Dean- (Here They Come) From All Over The World
Chuck Berry- Johnny B. Goode, Maybellene, Sweet Little Sixteen, Nadine (Is it You?)
Gerry And The Pacemakers- Maybellene, Dont Let The Sun Catch You Crying, Its Gonna Be Alright, How Do You Do It?, I Like It
Smokey Robinson & The Miracles- Thats What Love Is Made Of, You've Really Got a Hold on Me, Mickeys Monkey
Marvin Gaye- Stubborn Kind Of Fellow, Pride And Joy, Can I Get A Witness, Hitch Hike
Lesley Gore- Maybe I Know, You Dont Own Me, You Didnt Look Around, Hey Now, Its My Party, & Judys Turn To Cry
Jan & Dean- The Little Old Lady (From Pasadena) & Sidewalk Surfin
The Beach Boys- Surfin U.S.A., I Get Around, Surfer Girl, & Dance, Dance, Dance
Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas- Little Children, Bad To Me, I'll Keep You Satisfied, & From A Window
The Supremes- When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes, Run, Run, Run, Baby Love, & Where Did Our Love Go
The Barbarians- Hey Little Bird
James Brown & The Flames- Out Of Sight, Prisoner Of Love, Please, Please, Please, & Night Train
The Rolling Stones- Around and Around, Off The Hook, Time Is On My Side, It's All Over Now, & I'm All Right
All Performers- Show Close: Lets Get Together

MitsuruX

Grip
Real Name
MitsuruX
Saw this (and recorded it on the DVR)... it was great!
I think Chuck Berry got the shaft being the openeing act and not even getting to play 2 compete songs..
Absolutely LOVED the Beach Boys portion..

Is the DVD of this out in stores? (The one they wanted you to donate money to get?)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The DVD is out now. My copy arrived yesterday. Was only able to watch a short portion of it, but it looks great, and will be a lot of fun to see in its entirety.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Finally got a chance to watch the whole thing, and it's great. I had read some years ago that the whole of the film was lost, since certain segments were thought to be gone. Glad that turned out to be wrong. It's terrific that it is on DVD now for future generations to enjoy. A shame it went more or less unseen for nearly 50 years (46 to be precise).

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Sam Favate

Finally got a chance to watch the whole thing, and it's great. I had read some years ago that the whole of the film was lost, since certain segments were thought to be gone. Glad that turned out to be wrong. It's terrific that it is on DVD now for future generations to enjoy. A shame it went more or less unseen for nearly 50 years (46 to be precise).
playV2('en/US/st/stdfdsdtd7shdnsrd7sfyhh5h5');playV2('en/UK/st/stdfdsdtd7shdnsrd7sfyhh5h5')Didn't this get a re-release or something in the late 80s? I went to see this at a Landmark Theater around this time. I can't tell you if any of the performances were missing but I definitely saw it on the big screen. I was just discovering 'oldies' then and was thrilled to discover this showing.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I remember that THE T.A.M.I. SHOW (1964) was scheduled to air on MuchMusic in 1988 or 1989. I had set the VCR to capture this event that my older Brother had told me about, but I had never seen. At the time, I knew nothing of The Beach Boys having been a part of that event, let alone the subsequent removal of their performances!

Sadly for me, I'd have to wait more than two decades to find out, as I somehow goofed up on setting the VCR timer, and ended up with snow, instead! :P

This week, I get the recently released Blu-ray containing this and T.A.M.I's successor, THE BIG T.N.T. SHOW (1966)! I wish my brother and his wife were around to see this!

Time to retire the DVD, which has served me well!

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I finally got around to playing my T.A.M.I. SHOW (1964) Blu-ray this evening. Yes, the original UK title TEEN AGE COMMAND PERFORMANCE remains, however....

The superior (To the DVD) audio was immediately noticeable to my ears! The visuals also benefit a fair bit from the HD upgrade.

Another plus for the Blu-ray is the included English subtitles (As opposed to the Closed Captioning on the DVD), which except for a couple of minor exceptions (IE. Mick Jagger's "She hurt my nose open" instead of 'eyes', slip up on "It's All Over, Now!"), appeared to be word for word correct, and they also didn't seem to have any lag time with the corresponding audio, which can be a real downer when that occurs!

The running time on the Blu-ray version of T.A.M.I. is 7 seconds longer (1:52:34) than the DVD (1:52:27). I think the brief "Here They Come (From All Over The World)" interlude that plays between the Marvin Gaye and Lesley Gore sets may play just slightly longer on the Blu-ray version. That this doesn't have it's own listing on either the DVD or Blu-ray is a minor annoyance to me.

In my opinion, T.A.M.I. is well worth the upgrade, even without considering THE BIG T.N.T. SHOW (1966), which I haven't yet viewed!

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks