Szell / Wagner: Orchestral Excerpts [SACD]

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jagan Seshadri, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Has anyone on this forum heard the Szell/Wagner Orchestral Excerpts SACD? I have the CD version (LSBK 48175) and I have my doubts that SACD would improve the sound of this recording. It sounds like some microphone overload distortion (clipping) happened during peaks in the performance (example: Ride of the Valkyries, starting around 2:24).

Is this corrected in the SACD version, or is that just the way the recording is?

-JNS

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I have never heard the regular CD, but I have no complaints about the SACD.

The problem you're describing sounds like a recording issue, and my guess is that that particular issue would cannot improve, but that's just my (un)educated guess.

I unabashadly love all of my Szell SACDS, so I'll recommend this one, too.

NP: Pat Metheny, Imaginary Day

3. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

I may actually be wrong about this 'microphone overloading' that I am hearing. It may actually be the echoes from the horns going full blast (which make a harsher jackhammer-like sound naturally).

I have been trying to get into classical music for a while, as I was primarily a classic rock listener and then a jazz listener. The Szell / Wagner performance is very good (although I wish the recording had more low-end to it).

Although I am not sold on the theoretical advantages of SACD, I am considering picking up an SACD player *if* I can be convinced that the SACD remasters are really that good. I have heard the Byrds greatest hits on SACD and it was nothing great, so I tend to be slightly skeptical about remasters of old recordings. As I am just beginning my classical music collection, I may as well think about getting them in SACD format.

Which Szell SACDs do you have, Mike?

-JNS

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

5. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit