What's new

System Review: Denon 3802, Swans Diva, SVS (1 Viewer)

Ed C

Stunt Coordinator
This is a review of my recently purchased system consisting of:
Denon AVR-3802
Swans Diva 6.1, C3, 2.1
SVS 20-39CS
12-gauge speaker wire from Home Depot
Existing equipment:
Sony PS2 - currently used as a console, DVD, and CD player. I'll be looking for a progressive scan DVD changer in the future.
Akai AM-U04 amplifier to power the SVS 20-39CS.
I purchased the Denon 3802 from MyDigitalUniverse.com. The factory fresh unit was shipped double boxed. All documentation was included including the warranty card. This was the lowest priced online dealer when I purchased my unit. I ordered the unit on a Tuesday night and it arrived Thursday morning.
The Swans Diva were purchased from av123.com. Steve Ozmai's patience and support was second to none. He even helped me save a bit of money with a pair of b-stock 6.1s that have a slight imperfection in the varnish (barely noticeable and only if you're looking for it). As many people have noted, these babies are very well packed for shipping. You will need a LARGE area in which to unpack these. Total shipping time: 10 days including the weekend.
The SVS crew is extremely responsive. The turnaround time for both e-mail questions and posts on hometheater.com is unmatched. Total shipping time: three days at a great shipping rate ($16.73)!
I've been running this setup for two weeks now. The Denon is a wonderful receiver. I tend to listen to music in Stereo, Neo 6, and 5-channel stereo modes. DPL2 is used for TV broadcasts.
I was a bit concerned about the Diva's WAF. My fiance didn't like the look of the speakers when I showed her the web pictures however she loves their look in real life (note to av123.com - get better scans online ;) ). The 6.1s have definitely blossomed during its run-in period. I am continuously amazed by the bass extension and the sound stage produced by the 6.1s. All this while maintaining a level of clarity and separation that allows me to hear individual instruments and voices sing the way they were meant to. The C3 performs well in a HT setting. I was a bit concerned about the size and weight of this center speaker since the top of my 27" TV (need to upgrade this too) is slanted slightly forward. A bit of Blue Tac took care of this. I am curious though, what kind of midrange is on the C3? I've never seen anything like it.
While shopping for a sub, I limited myself to subs that were sub-$500. I did not hear anything in that price range that compares with the SVS 20-39CS. This thing is great for both music and HT.
It provides great musical low-end extension and rumbling that resonates in my chest when called to task.
Bottom line, I couldn't be happier with my setup (for now anyway :D ). Thanks for all the help that forum members have provided in assisting me with my purchase.
In case somebody else is comparison shopping, I auditioned, at length, Paradigm Studio 60's and B&W 603 S2's prior to purchasing the Swans Diva setup.

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
Ed,would you mind posting some details on the purchase of the 3802.ie. tax,duty,price.As I'm sure you know,purchasing this in Canada is a bit of a joke price wise.Thanx in advance for any help.

Wayne

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Ed, what did you pay for the 3802? Also, how much for the B Stock Divas? Seems like you have a nice setup going, enjoy your new purchase.

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Congrats on you new system. I have the 3801 and just order the 4802 for my boss. So i will have a chance to audition it at home before I give it to him:D

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
Congratulations...that's a fine setup you have there!
That's very nearly the speakers setup I want and the same receiver manufacturer (I'm currently thinking either the Denon 5800 or the 4802), but I was looking at the Diva 5.1s which are 6ohm, and the dipole R3s which are 4 ohms speakers. How will all that work together with the R1's I was planning on using for the rear/rear-center surrounds and the C3 (all of which have an 8 ohm impedance) or will it work at all?

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Ed,

Did the Divas blow away the Paradigm (60 & *40) and B&W (600's and 800's)? And how? I'm going to audition those 2 monday? Thanks and I'm happy your happy, b/c if your response makes me happy then I can be happy w/ the same happy that made you happy and be happy that I saved money which makes everyone happy.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, how about some details concerning the total cost of that there receiver you got there. Canadian price? You know us Canucks. We get the crappy pricing for these deals. I even do the conversion and its way off. Like 3 or 4 hundred dollars more in converted Canadian than what the US pay? Whats up with that?

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
Re: Diva's vs Para S60's....
I can not speak from personal experience, but I had one guy over to audition my 6.1's that had S60's. His primary comments on why he liked the 6.1's over the S60's were bass extention and a less fatiguing tweeter. At louder volumes, he thought the tweet on the S60's tended to be a bit harsh and the bass was not as powerful. He is now selling his 60's in favor of the 6.1's....
Maybe he will post a reply here to better convey what he liked...I'm just trying to remember :)
Sean
edit
Ouch, that font was too big

Ed C

Stunt Coordinator
Canadians buying Diva, SVS, and Denon from a US retailer:

I believe you will be charged the following:

Swans Diva: Price + shipping + 6.5% duty + GST/PST (on top of the duties)

Denon: Price + shipping + 6.5% duty + GST/PST (on top of the duties)

SVS: Price + shipping + GST/PST

The exchange rate fluctuates however it is currently approximately CDN$1.62 per US$1 charged to your credit card.

If you ship via UPS, they will charge you a fortune in customs brokerage fees, advances on the duties and taxes paid, etc...

If you can ship to a US address near the border and transport these yourself, you will save on the brokerage fees (you still have to pay the taxes and duties).

If you can spend at least 24 hours in the US before returning to Canada, you will qualify for a CDN$50 exemption. If you stay 48 hours, you will qualify for a CDN$200 exemption. 7 days and you get a CDN$750 exemption.

Once again, check with your nearest customs office for details as there are special duty rates and other conditions that may apply to you.

Ed C

Stunt Coordinator
The B-stock Diva 6.1's came at a $200 discount as part of a package with the 2.1's and C3. Check AV123.com for their "Summer Sale".

The Denon AVR-3802 was $747 + shipping at MyDigitalUniverse.com. Go to their site to find out the shipping charge to your location. Note that the price of the AVR-3802 seems to have gone up at most e-tailers during the last week. For example, the same unit now sells for $799 + shipping at MyDigitalUniverse.com.

Another good source for pricing including shipping is PriceGrabber.com. Enter your zip code and it will sort the list of merchants according to total price including taxes and shipping.

Ed C

Stunt Coordinator
Did the Divas blow away the Paradigm (60 & *40) and B&W (600's and 800's)? And how?
First off, I've never listened to the B&W 800's. I also did not listen to the Studio 40's much because I prefer floorstanders for my mains.
Although I did audition the Paradigm Studio 60's and B&W 603S2's at length prior to purchasing the Diva 6.1's, it is difficult for me to provide an accurate comparison of the 6.1's to the others because:
1) I auditioned the Studio 60's and 603's in store whereas I've listened to the 6.1's only at home.
2) There was a two week period between my last audition of the Studio 60's and 603's before I listened to the 6.1's for the first time.
That being said, I can confidently say that:
-the 6.1's have far greater bass extension than the Studio 60's which had better bass extension than the 603's;
-the 6.1's are the nicest looking speaker of the bunch;
-the build quality of the Studio 60's and 6.1's felt comparable - they are both very solid speakers;
-the soundstage from the 6.1's in my room is wider than that of the 603's at the store which was wider than that of the Studio 60's;
-the imaging of the 603's was more accurate than the Studio 60's. I can't give an accurate comparison of the 603's vs. the 6.1's.
That's my quick assessment. Once again, note my two disclaimers at the top ;) .

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Did you slouch real low in your seat when listening to the 60's? :)
They are pretty short and need to be boosted. It makes a world of difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks