What's new

System on a budget (1 Viewer)

Tyler M.

Agent
What is your opinion on the Pioneer VSX-D412? I already have this receiver, although I didn't think it was good enough for my plans. But, I might use it, because it has enough power, and it'll save me a few hundred on another receiver, money I can spend on a good powered sub.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
I think you're pushing the envelope here. You said you're interested in floor standing speakers in a 400 sq.ft. room. If you like a big sound you could be in trouble.
Efficient speakers will help with a sensitivity greater than 89db.
There are referb receivers at ecost.com for $180 if you want to cut costs to get a better sub. I see threads by people saying they had no problems with buying referbs.

Tyler M.

Agent
I already have a decent receiver, and I'm buying a refurb player. I know I can't get the sound I want, but I want to be able to get the best for my money.

Donald_S

Stunt Coordinator
It's tough Tyler, this stuff is all so subjective. I really wanted to keep the audio costs down on my system, but still get something pretty decent. Here is what I did:

-Fluance SX-HTB set
-Dayton 10" Sub from PartExpress
-Pioneer VSX-912K (for the auto calibration and power).
-JVC XVN50 Progressive Scan DVD player (but there are a ton of good DVD players under $130).
-Smart Strip Power Strip 10 outlet strip from Bits Ltd. (auto power on/off for many devices, has some noise filtering, and it's very cheap).
-12 Gauge speaker wire from Home Depot.

Total cost including tax and shipping - $900. This is a great little system for movies. If you want to play music, I'd make changes, the Pioneer doesn't have the best THD specs, but it can deliver easily enough power to drive this system, and the autocalibration works very well.

Hope that helps.

Donald

Will Zog

Grip
Donald, you said:

"If you want to play music, I'd make changes, the Pioneer doesn't have the best THD specs, but it can deliver easily enough power to drive this system"

Can you explain re: THD specs and music? I'm looking at the Pioneer 912K, largely due to power and calibration, but I'm counting on it for music as well as movies (at least 50/50).

Given my current sound system is about 15 years old anyway (Onkyo reciever, and big ugly Design Acoustics speakers, although it's not bad, to my ears), I expect whatever I go to next will sound better...

Donald_S

Stunt Coordinator
THD is total harmonic distortion. Now I am *not* an audiophile and can't tell you all the ins and outs. But THD is a measure of how the receiver distorts sound. THD isn't audible for most people below 1%. At 8 ohms and 110 Watts, the Pioneer is right at 1% THD for surround. A receiver like a Denon 484 is under .7% at 110 Watts and at 75 Watts is under .1%. But it costs more and you have to calibrate it yourself or you'll get *real* distortion, speakers at the wrong relative volume and out of phase.

The thing is, for movies, what do you care? You didn't walk out of Return of the King and turn to someone and say "Gee I liked it but the mid-range was a little muddy and the highs were slightly tinny". With movies it's the surround, the bass, accurately hearing dialog, etc. But if you're quietly listening to a jazz quartet then *any* distortion matters. Actually the stereo specs for the Pioneer aren't bad, it's the 5 channel surround that's not as good.

You've now run off the end of everything I know about receivers, I hope it helps.

Donald

Tyler M.

Agent
I understand that it has a higher THD, but at what volume? All? I don't think it makes sense if the speakers were to distort without playing something they can't handle. I listen mainly to rock, also, so I don't think a bit of distortion would be a big deal.

Mark gas

Second Unit
It isn't rated for DVD recordables in any format (but I've heard most DVD players will play DVD-r).
My toshiba duel tray will not play DVD backup burns.

For speakers I would look at Paradigm.

You could pick ap a pair of Paradigm Titans CC170 for the center and a pair of atoms for around $500. I bought a pair of Titans for $269 can and they sound very good for a sub $300 speaker.

Patrick++

Auditioning
yea, i just got a pair of titans for $219... they're out there :)

as an alternative, i seriously considered Phase Tech's teatro 4.5's. great speakers for music, in my opionion. the only reason i went with the paradigm was that the quoted price i was getting was lower and my budget was already stretching :)

edit: i've seen the teatro 4.5 online for as low as $180/pair

Mark gas

Second Unit
THD is total harmonic distortion. Now I am *not* an audiophile and can't tell you all the ins and outs. But THD is a measure of how the receiver distorts sound. THD isn't audible for most people below 1%. At 8 ohms and 110 Watts, the Pioneer is right at 1% THD for surround. A receiver like a Denon 484 is under .7% at 110 Watts and at 75 Watts is under .1%. But it costs more and you have to calibrate it yourself or you'll get *real* distortion, speakers at the wrong relative volume and out of phase.
I don't think THD specs are a big deal. Could you tell difference in sound between a reciver that has a thd spec of .1% to a reciver that has a spec of 1%? For a reciver pick one that has the features you want and puts out a good amount of power.

cabreau

Second Unit
My first $1200 dollar home theater system was a Harman Kardon AVR-225 (now 230, which has 6.1) with 4 Paradigm Atoms, a CC-170 center channel, and a PDR-10 subwoofer. I aquired the whole set brand new from a local B&M for around $1200. It sounded spectacular. The nice thing was that one year later, the B&M gave me 100% of my money back in trade toward my upgrade.
I now have Studio 20's for the fronts, a CC-470 for the center, a PW-2200 for the sub, and I kep all four Atoms to use as my surrounds for 7.1. This was the right road for me to take at the time, I hope it helps you figure out what you need to do.

For $1200, the sound was outstanding. I really didn't even need to upgrade, but I'm addicted. :)

Tyler M.

Agent
I'm a big fan of Phase, my dad has an older Phase setup, about 1998. Sounds spectacular. His setup is what I'll be judging mine against. I know I can't beat his, since he spend way more than I have to work with, but I want to be as close as I can get for the money. What about the Teatro 6.5? Also, is the tweeter bright at all? Where can I purchase Phase products? Thanks to everyone so far.

Tyler M.

Agent
I just demoed some Infinity Primus 250's, and sadly, I wasn't impressed at all. The problem is, I can't really purchase speakers without listening to them, and all there is around here is Infinity, Polk, and Bose. So I'm kind of in a jam.

Donald_S

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think THD specs are a big deal. Could you tell difference in sound between a reciver that has a thd spec of .1% to a reciver that has a spec of 1%? For a reciver pick one that has the features you want and puts out a good amount of power.

Actually Mark that much difference does matter. Turn your receiver on with nothing playing. Is it absolutely silent? If it isn't, what you hear is harmonic distortion. 1% THD is audible, and as volume goes up, so does distortion. Even the non-audiophile (and I am not one)will here distortion and suffer from 'listener fatigue'. Does a difference of .1% and .2% matter? Not really. But 1% or higher is another story. And as I said, it depends on what you're listening to. If it's a movie soundtrack, so what? But if you're listening to a jazz quartet, you'll notice and it will really detract from the listening experience.

Donald

Mike^C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I just demoed some Infinity Primus 250's, and sadly, I wasn't impressed at all. The problem is, I can't really purchase speakers without listening to them, and all there is around here is Infinity, Polk, and Bose. So I'm kind of in a jam.
If you don't like em why go for em? Its seriously worth you while to visit a high end shop to look at all the other brands. I went with Paradigms myself but there are some great companies your passing up that deserve a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks