System for +/- 60K? in VERY LARGE living room

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by jcklaus, Sep 9, 2006.

1. jcklaus

jcklaus Auditioning

I am a relative novice to the AV world, but my wife and I are looking to install a nice home theater system in a room which is 45'x25' with 17' cathedral ceilings. This won't be a dedicated home theater room, but a living room where we'll watch movies/listen to music. We're trying to balance getting as nice of a system as we can without overspending unnecessarily as the space that will never be acoustically or visually "perfect" We know we'd like a projection screen (120"x67.5") with a 7.1 setup, and we've agreed to spend up to $60,000 on the equipment. Do any of you have suggestions in terms of equipment that you'd recommend taking these parameters into account and the fact that the space will never be "reference" quality? We have an AV guy helping us out, but as he always tends to push the envelope pricewise, I'd love to get second opinions on products that I can investigate. Thanks.

2. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    My suggestion is you are spending too much. Based on how you describe the quality you want in the space I would say that 20-30K would get you a fantastic system--three chip 1080P projector, retractable screen, high quality components and speakers. Spend the extra 30K on a nice whole house audio system or send my kids to college [​IMG]. I would recommend that you go to find two or three CEDIA member companies to give you a bid. Tell them that your entire budget for the room (parts and labor) is between 20-30k. Get two or three bids from people who have seen the room and can ask you more questions about the project. You can find CEDIA member dealers here: http://www.electroniclifestyle.com/f...panies_new.php

If you post pictures of the room so we can see the ceilings and the walls we could give more specific recommendations, but with that budget I would hire a pro.

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I agree with Adam, $60,000 is way over the top. Do you plan to do any of the install yourself ?

4. jcklaus

jcklaus Auditioning

Thank you for your responses. I've posted pictures of the space at the following address:

http://web.mac.com/jcklaus/iWeb/Site/Media%20Room.html

I am hiring someone to do the installation, and his equipment suggestions were what was making me feel the units he was suggesting were overkill. The one item that I'm tending towards through my own research is the Sony VPL-VW100 SXRD (Ruby) projector (the installation person suggested some 20K Runco). I'd love any/all advice on other components/speakers, etc. to look into -- I'd like as high fidelity a system as I can get without having that be the total focus/obsession of the space. Thanks again.

5. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

Yes, Unless you are including the price of special theater seating, etc. 20K -30k will buy an awesome surround room. That would include an Touch screen remote like the MX-3000 and tons of $$$ for high quality speakers, subs, etc. That should also include All the parts, labor, installation. (start to finish).