System for $500

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by RichardJB, Dec 29, 2005.

1. RichardJB

RichardJB Stunt Coordinator

Hello, I an building a new house and I want to have a complete 5.1 system for my great room. So far i have purchased the Denon AVR2805. I have 4 Acoustic Research tower speakers. I want a complete home theatre speaker system including a quality sub. My budget is $500. I like the Hsu and SVS subs. My room is 23.4 x 18.2. Any of you
    HT gurus can please point me in the right direction on speakers. Thank you

ps I ma not going to be using the AR towers, I will sell them or put them in garage with a Sony rec.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

So you need new speakers, a sub, and what else? A DVD player? Hmm, that's going to be kind of tough.

You might consider the Hsu Ventriloquist. That's the only way you can get a Hsu or SVS sub along with other stuff in your budget. If you need a DVD player too, you might consider the Sony NS-50P which can be had for under $70 and is a pretty decent player.

The Ventriloquist setup, with their smallest sub, and the Sony DVD player would probably put you just over $500.

3. John S

John S Producer

The best $500 system with speakers???

Consider 3 pair of JBL E30's for full 6.1 from (BestPriceAudioVideo) and dual 12" Parts Express subs, the Advent's for $99.95

That would make your Denon AVR's impressiveness shine through for sure.

That put's you at $620 (No Tax and free shipping)... But the extra sub would be sooo worth it performance wise.

That system would perform very well against some pretty high end systems out there in all honesty.

4. RichardJB

RichardJB Stunt Coordinator

Thank you for your responces, no I do not need a DVD, I am
    just looking for a $500 speaker system that will go well
    with the 2805. The ventriliquist system looks good to me
    but can it handle all the 2805 has to offer? I like VERY
    loud hard rock and loud movies. I hope a $500 or so system
    will be ok.. I may be able to raise my budget if need be. I dont want to go overboard cause I still need a 60"display

5. John S

John S Producer

loud music, loud movies...

Raise your budget some but go with a meaner JBL front pair maybe. The E30's with the 6" driver are exteremly capable and play loud real well.

I don't think many if any packaged 5.1 speaker systems are going to come even close to meeting your demand.

6. OlegT

OlegT Auditioning

I would reccomend the Athena Micra 6 5.1 system, you can find more info at athenaspeakers.com.

You can get the set for under $500 for sure, and in that price range, this is about the best sounding speaker system you'll find. There are various reviews out there that support that claim. Though they do tend to start to lose it a bit with VERY loud music.....The other benefit is that they're very small, 7" tall I believe.

I'm waiting for mine to come in, as Future Shop was out of stock, picked 'em up for $300CDN, on sale from $700 CDN, they should be in the $500 or less range in US funds.

Check 'em out, you'll be impressed....I'm not sure but I think BestBuy in the states carries these speakers, which by the way are made by the same company as Mirage and Energy.

7. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

Richard,

Athena AS-B1s, 2 pairs for $200 shipped
    Athena AS-C1 center channel, $100 shipped
    from audioadvisor.com

Dayton 12” subwoofer from partsexpress.com, $145 shipped

if you're willing to stretch your budget a little, I'd get a B-stock Hsu STF-2 for $350 shipped instead of the Dayton, you'll get better music performance out of it. For HT only the Dayton will be ok.

8. Rob White

Rob White Stunt Coordinator

I've been trying to choose speakers in the same price range (around $500 for 5.1). The speakers that have been recommended to me here are:

-JBL e30's
    -Infinity 150's or 160's

Any reason to choose the Athena's over the other two? I do like the fact that they are smaller. BUT, will that mean that they don't sound as great????

Thanks,
    Rob

9. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

I personally find the JBLs to have an overly harsh treble and weak midrange.

The Infinity 150s sound good for low/moderate volume use, at higher volumes they tend to fall apart. The Infinty 160s slightly less so due to the larger mid woof.

The Athena B1s are sometimes called "bright" but this is less of an issue with HT than it would be for a music-oriented system. Combined with the right receiver (warm or neutral) they can be very pleasant.

10. Rob White

Hey eddie,

You mentioned pairing the Athena's with a warm or neutral reciever. My reciever's an Onkyo TX-SR502. Does that help me determine which speaker to get?

Thanks,
    Rob

11. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

Yes, the Onkyo should go nicely with the Athenas. Most people would say that Onkyo is on the warm side.

12. brendy

brendy Agent

Assuming 8' a ceiling height this about 3400 cubic feet and you like "VERY loud hard rock and loud movies".I really think a $500 system will not be enough.Also,I own the Ventriloquist system.It is more suited for medium to small rooms at moderate levels.I have an Onkyo 602 powering mine.

13. Rob White

Hey Brendy,

I really don't need my music too loud. I'm an old guy (42) and most of my really loud days are over. I want my Xbox 360 games to sound good. Upgraded to an HDTV recently and I'd like better sound for sports and movies. But I'm not a big action movie guy, so again loudness isn't really huge.

Are you saying that you would recommend the Ventriloquist system over the JBL, Infinity, or Athena?

Rob

14. Rob White

New problem.

While in New York City, my wife waited in the van while I listened to the JBL E30's for the first time. They didn't have the E35 center channel, so I only listened to the E30's and the E10's (possible surrounds). Here's the problem: My wife is very much against mounting any speakers on the wall. She let it go in our bedroom, but is completely against it in the living room. Big problem because the spot where my front left and right (the old Bose's) are is just inches from the ceiling. Buying new speakers and leaving them way up high would pretty much defeat the purpose, I'd say.

I might be able to to convince her if the speakers were really small, but the E30's are pretty large for bookshelfs. And so are the Infinity 150's or 160's. The Athena's are a bit smaller, but their modern design wouldn't fit our room much.

Anybody know of any smaller speakers that are worthwhile?

Plan B (if my wife stands firm and I can't find smaller, quality speakers):
    •Buy a sub
    •Maybe buy a center channel, since there's an easy space for it and I don't have one. Would it make sense to buy the JBL E35 center channel and just put up with it working with the old Bose fronts? I know it's not as good as having matching speakers. Please be honest, because there's no use spending the money if it's not going to work well.

Sorry for the wrench in the machine. My wife's terrific, but the thought of a "bigish" speaker hanging on the wall is not making her happy.....

Thanks in advance,
    Rob

15. Rob White

Alright, I screwed up guys. For some reason I thought I was typing in a thread that I had started earlier. Sorry for the confusion. Please carry on. I'll be serving my punishment in time-out....

16. berk@g

berk@g Auditioning

for $500 it's going to be streching it...but possible.

sounds like an adequate sub is a must for your listening style (and 60" screen!!!). with that said, i'd suggest the ventriloquist system (w/stf-2) for $559. second option would be the athena point 5s and add an STF-2 or PB-10isd. also, you could consider buying used/b-stock to save some money.