System calibration.. Low freq. Xover

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by scott cerv, Mar 27, 2002.

1. scott cerv

scott cerv Stunt Coordinator

I've been reading all about this Rotewl and all the features and think I might want to look more into it.

Anyway, when setting up your system, if the processor allows, how do you setup the xover. I'm thinking that if I buy the B&W DM-604S3 I like the bass resonse, but need that fat bottom end. So, let's say I use the HP filter and let the speakers pump out down to say 60Hz. Do I then allow the sub only 60Hz or would you give it a slight overlap?? Say to 80Hz?? I'm thinking that the ovelap might cause a funny sound as the same freq. is coming from 2 places.

Also, ya think the Rotel 1066/1075 combo is too strong for a B&W 600S3 system?? I'm thinking about the Outlaw as well, but wondering which will give me better 2 channel sound? Never heard the Outlaw.

SC

SC

2. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Scott,

When you set the xover in the prepro (at say 60Hz) then both your mains and sub are crossed at the same 60Hz.

You don't want to set the xover on the sub, you want it turned off or set to it's highest level.

I don't know the bass output (-3dB) of the B&W DM-604S3, but you want the prepro's xover to be higher than the B&W low frequency -3dB spec.

A 60Hz xover would probably work best for a main speaker that has a low frequency -3dB in the 30Hz-45Hz range.

If the mains have a low frequency -3dB above 45Hz, then maybe a 70Hz or 80Hz xover would be better.

This all depends on the speaker's low frequency -3dB, speaker location from the walls, listening position in the room and size of the room. It takes experimentation to get it right.