`System Balance' in money terms

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yee-Ming, May 30, 2002.

1. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Is there any convention as to how much money one should spend on each component for a "balanced" system? e.g. in hi-fi, conventionally some might say that of the entire budget, say $1,000, spend 10% (i.e. $100) on cables and accessories, and split the rest equally (i.e. $300 each) on source (CD player), amp and speakers.
    in the HT context, obviously it would be overkill to mate a flagship receiver, or separates, with an entry level speaker package, but is there any "ideal" balance?
    in my case, I've settled (partly on WAF grounds) on the Mission Cinema 8 series of speakers (782s + 78C + 78ds), haven't decided on sub yet (but leaning towards SVS25-31PCi -- thanks Tom V. for all your help!) , and at the moment am "committed" as part of the package with the HT shop to a Marantz SR7200 -- the total package was S$3,550 (that's Singapore dollars, about US$1 = S$1.8, if it matters). but looking at the price division, in effect the allocation is around S$850 to the receiver, and the speakers are around S$2,700.
    I've been considering going up to the SR8200 (which will cost an extra S$900 or so). for "system balance", does this make sense, i.e. it'll be about $2,700 to speakers and about $1,650 to receiver.
    for that matter, how does price of subwoofer then come into it? an SVS25-31PCi will cost me (including shipping) around S$1,330, i.e. half the price of the 5 speakers. an REL Q201 will also cost about the same.
    and cables/speaker wire? arrghhh, help! [​IMG]

2. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

I think you're worrying too much! It certainly isn't an exact science. I spent $3300 on speakers and $1k on my AV Receiver and that seemed reasonable to me. There certainly isn't any reason to upgrade your amp if you don't need the features.
    I went with MIT T2's for all of my interconnects (and the main front speaker cables). I've probably spent $700 or so. That might be overkill but I was so impressed with the first set of interconnects that I decided to replace all of them. That is why it is dangerous to buy ONE nice interconnect....suddenly you'll have a NEED to replace the rest. [​IMG]
    I haven't bought a sub yet, myself. I already have the SVS 16-46PCI on my wishlist! It looks really nice.

3. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Any home theater is a system of components working together. Obviously, a weak link can inhibit the performance of a better component.
    I forget who came up with this, but here's a good why to go about allocating the funds for your home theater purchases.
    Start with the TV. Because this will represent roughly half of the audio/video experience in your home theater, you'll want to spend more money on this than you do for any other of your components.
    Next is the receiver. Spend roughly half the cost of the TV on the receiver and/or pre-pro, amp combo.
    Then you think about the speakers. Spend a minimum of one-fourth the cost of the receiver for each speaker. Because these are so important in the chain, you may spend more money on these if you wish.
    When you look at subs, spend about one-third the total cost of all your speakers on the subwoofer.
    There were also recommendations for the total amount of money you should spend on a DVD player, but I forget what it was.
    Have I followed this same pattern myself? Pretty much, yes. I will be breaking from it in the next few weeks when I get my Outlaw 950 pre-pro to replace my current receiver. My television cost me $1,900 shipped and the total cost of the pre-pro and the amp will run me a little over $1,750. I just hope that this won't throw my system off balance, so to speak, because I don't want to go through another set of upgrades for a long time! [​IMG]

4. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    thanks for your thoughts gentlemen!
    I'm not actually at the stage of "upgrading" the receiver in the true sense of the term, I've just ordered the speakers which was "packaged" with the SR7200, but before I take delivery I have the option of "upgrading" to an SR8200 instead and paying the difference. I'm wondering if Cinema Re-EQ is worth it/necessary? strangely it doesn't seem to be present in the SR7200, whereas it is present in the cheaper Onkyo 595 (we haven't got the 600 yet here), and of course is present in the SR8200.
    from the numbers suggested by Jeff, my speakers are much more expensive than the receiver "merits", and the potential subwoofer is about half the cost of the other 5 combined. once again proving that SVS is "too much" subwoofer [​IMG]
    (of course, that's because the price advantage of SVS is wiped out by paying hefty shipping, making it more expensive than it would be to an American customer.)