SYS 12" NSD Upgrade Subjective Review - SVS 25-31PCi

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Phil Iturralde, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

On April 11, 2002, I received my first SVS 25-31PCi (SN 00034) and was completely blown away with the performance vs. powered-subs that cost $600 to $1,500.00! My criteria was 80% HT / 20% Music - Tom V. recommended the SVS 25-31PCi and I'm glad he did!!!

One of my original subjective comments (4-12-02) after I REF Calibrated my HT setup was

I honestly can say the 'lows' have improved in impact and resolution - so yes, I am 100%+ satisfied with the $129 +SH upgrade cost!!!

Many have wondered why I had this grin [​IMG] when I get a chance to DEMO my HT - Now that I can play back Dolby Digital Plus & TrueHD 5.1 (The Phantom of the Opera HD DVD), the upgrade lets me hear & feel the impressive full lower frequency lossless soundtrack vs. the ISD design limitations!!! This new NSD woofer just enhances that grin [​IMG] - to its now permanent (Joker) state!!! [​IMG]

So, if you own one of the original ISD equipped ...

... PCi powered-subs,

... Cylinder Series (CS, passive subs)

... PB12-ISD

... PB12-ISD/V

... PB12-ISD/2 ...

I highly recommend the NEW NSD 12" woofer upgrade(s) for the very reasonable cost $129 + SH, ... because the audible & tactile sub-sonic performance is outstanding.

NOTE: No Hearing Damage - last checked 2005. Background, semi-Pro modern Jazz Musician / Composer / Arranger (piano, keyboard, guitar, bass and drums); sound reinforcement and public address installer and HT enthusiasts since 1996.

Phil

2. Ron Temple

Ron Temple Stunt Coordinator

Nice write up Phil...I'm late to the party too. Should have me 12.3 on Weds. I'm looking forward to a nice upgrade too. Maybe, JG and I will come up with something to do with the 12.2 as well.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Phil, you still need to come by my place...[​IMG] Ron, let me know when that thing gets in so I can come hear it.

4. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Nice job Phil..I enjoyed reading your review in it's entirety. From day one you've been very impressed with the 25-31PCi (me to)and it's truly held your attention. It's nice to see that you made the decision to upgrade to the NSD though, also considering you deserve a upgrade imo, and a upgrade it is.
    Yip!

Congrats![​IMG]

5. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

Ne post, Phil. I have two questions:

1) your photo is of a JBL S-38 mid and high, no? I have three pair doing yoeman's duty in all five locations of my 5.1 setup. how sweet it is...

2) does this mean there are some 12" ISD drivers laying around needing a home??

6. timZa

timZa Stunt Coordinator

Phil, where did you get your center speaker stand at? i need one of those. is it adjustable?

7. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

I think I got it thru one of the Yahoo Shopping Vendor(s) or eBay - WOOD TECHNOLOGY CC-12E 12" CENTER CH STAND FREE SHIP ... I checked the vendor's rating and choose the best price including SH. My total price was around $37 shipped.

These Center Channel Stands are not adjustable, they do come in different heights which is part of the model number. I bought the 12" high CC Stand model CC-12. Other heights are CC-18 and CC-28.

Hope this helps,
    Phil