What's new

Synching iMac to PS3, How would I do this ? (1 Viewer)

Rakie

Agent
Real Name
Tim
Anybody have this going ? I've read on another forum (Reef keeping forum) that a guy had his mac stream music to his PS3 so he could play though his stereo and get a really nice clean signal (Rather then running a little 1/8" mini jack from the headphone output to my receiver which sounds pretty awful)

Thanks a bunch.
~Tim.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I would love to know how to do this too. AFAICT, the PS3 needs to recognize the iMac as a media server on the network. I played around with this a bit when I got my iMac and Airport Extreme, but didn't have any luck. I'm guessing it is a settings issue.

I don't know if this may be a cause, but one thing I notice that's different about my setup now using the iMac/AE (versus an old Linksys router connected to Vista box) is that there is no UPNP support on the PS3. Not being network-savvy, I don't even know what that means. I just know that with the old configuration, the PS3 had it.

The other thing I notice is that downloads seem to take considerably longer than they used to. BD-Live content in particular is agonizingly slow, sometimes taking 15-25 minutes to complete. BTW, I have 10 meg DSL service that is pretty much rock solid 24/7, so I am inclined to think it is a configuration issue on my end, but since everything else appears to be working, I have been reluctant to tinker any further.

Rakie

Agent
Real Name
Tim
About the Download speeds, I've got 15 or 20meg Cable and it still takes a long time to download sometimes, even vs my little brothers 10meg DSL...

I think location in conjunction to something I'm not aware of (On the ISP's end) is an issue. My brothers house couldn't really get internet so the ISP came down and installed something physical under their house specifically for him, and it's locked so no other user could take advantage of it. Even my fathers clunky old computer is lighting fast there.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for, but I have found that this solution works very well. I can stream from my MacBook to the PS3 and listen through my HT setup.

Nullriver Software : Products : MediaLink

It has a trial mode that is limited to 30 minutes so you can give it a try.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i just dl'd that and it works easily.
i turned it on and turned on the ps3 and my itunes popped right up.

Maybe becuase i was in 30 minute trial, it couldnt find any video or pictures on my macbook.

if i can find out why that happened and fix it this will work exactly the way i would like.
music, video and pics from my macbook right to my ps3.

I am leary of this because the web site is essentially void of, well of anything.
there is no directions or even a Faq on there as far as i can tell.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Yeah, there isn't much help available, but it is fairly intuitive or can be figured out through some trial and error. I'm not sure why you couldn't find the photos. I have subfolders within the standard photos folder, but I think I've been able to navigate to other locations too. My old TV used to have a memory stick slot and I loved being able to show photos to the family on the TV. I lost that when I upgrade the TV, but I've now got that back plus some with the PS3 and MediaLink. Wait...that sounded to much like a promotional blurb...sorry. And they do need some documentation.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I troll around a lot of boards and have come across people
successfully using MediaLink with their PS3. It seems to be
recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads