Synapse Films Press Release: Hands of the Ripper (Blu-ray)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
fncp_HANDSblu72dpi.jpg

SYNAPSE FILMS PRESENTS

THE HAMMER RAISES AGAIN! JACK THE RIPPER LIVES!
HANDS OF THE RIPPER
Wrap your claws around this creepy Blu-ray/DVD combo!

Another landmark title in Synapse Films' Hammer Films Collection! Peter Sasdy's HANDS OF THE RIPPER!

An infant girl watches in horror as her father, the infamous “Jack the Ripper,” brutally murders her mother. Years later, the damaged young Anna (Angharad Rees) is now under the care of a fake psychic and has been forced into a career of prostitution. At the end of a séance one evening, a woman is mysteriously killed. Dr. John Pritchard (Eric Porter) suspects Anna is the murderer but cannot understand how she could perform this unspeakable act. Using new Freudian psychoanalysis techniques, Pritchard experiments on Anna and discovers a shocking secret: the spirit of the “Ripper” is alive and well, and might well be possessing his own daughter! Can this evil be stopped before it’s too late?
Completely restored in high-definition and released uncut for the first time on Blu-ray in the U.S., HANDS OF THE RIPPER is a film widely recognized as one of the most gruesome Hammer horror films ever made.

Special Features:
• THE DEVIL’S BLOODY PLAYTHING: POSSESSED BY HANDS OF THE RIPPER – Featurette
• SLAUGHTER OF INNOCENCE: THE EVOLUTION OF HAMMER GORE – Motion Still Gallery
• U.S. Television Introduction
• Original Theatrical Trailer and TV Spots
• HANDS OF THE RIPPER Motion Still Gallery
• Isolated Music & Effects Audio Track

Disc Info:
Directed by: Peter Sasdy
Starring: Eric Porter, Angharad Rees, Jane Merrow, Keith Bell
Run Time: 85 minutes
Release Date: July 9, 2013
Language: English
Subtitles: English
Aspect Ratio: Widescreen 1.66:1
Format: Blu-ray / DVD Combo
Region: 1 / A
UPC: 654930315293
SRP: $29.95

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Yes, and we all know if there is an image on the film, it was intended to be seen! :)

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Bob Furmanek said:
Yes, and we all know if there is an image on the film, it was intended to be seen! :)
I certainly never suggested such a thing. I simply pointed out that Synapse was supplied with completed HD masters from MGM to work from, and said masters were all 1.66:1.

Vincent

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I know that, Vincent. Just making a little joke.

Sadly, many of the MGM masters for post-1953 widescreen films are in the wrong ratio.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Gottcha.

Vincent
Bob Furmanek said:
I know that, Vincent. Just making a little joke.

Sadly, many of the MGM masters for post-1953 widescreen films are in the wrong ratio.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Synapse are standing their ground. This from Synapse from their Facebook page:
Well, last night, I asked my supplement producer to inquire with Peter Sasdy in regards to the aspect ratio of HANDS OF THE RIPPER. I got this email this morning: "Since the film was made without U.S. distribution partners involved initially during production, the 1.85:1 aspect ratio was not considered. 1.66:1 is the correct aspect ratio, and the ratio in which Hammer released the film theatrically."
EDIT: I have to say, having read the whole of that FB thread now, that, as I feared, Hammer have much to answer for on the whole AR front. Synapse now appear to have shifted their position to one of 'director preference' which is a whole new ball game...

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I don't see that they "shifted their position". Don reached out to the director and asked him to confirm what the aspect ratio for the film is, and the director said 1.66:1.

Vincent
John Hodson said:
Synapse are standing their ground. This from Synapse from their Facebook page: EDIT: I have to say, having read the whole of that FB thread now, that, as I feared, Hammer have much to answer for on the whole AR front. Synapse now appear to have shifted their position to one of 'director preference' which is a whole new ball game...

TheSteig

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Im getting the Blu Ray but I cant retire the Network DVD since it has a commentary that Im going to listen to .If its boring Ill get rid of the DVD ..

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Interesting. On FB from Synapse:

Here's a comparison of our transfer vs. the UK DVD. Ours is shifted up a bit vertically so to show a bit more on the bottom than the top. The right side is nearly identical and the left side is just ever so slightly different, but even the UK version has a slight black vertical matte running down the left side, too. Interesting when you look at the UK one and notice that it looks slightly horizontally stretched, as well. http://tinypic.com/r/4zti6v/5

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
It's a real shame if the long held "fact" that the UK was primarily 1.66:1 is actually fiction, and that 1.75:1 is more likely correct for most British films from that era. But here you (seemingly) have the director himself saying 1.66:1 is correct, I don't think we can really expect Synapse, MGM or Hammer to go against what he is saying.

And for other 1.66:1/1.75:1 controversies, I'm not going to lose sleep over them. As I said, it's a shame, but that sliver of extra headroom can be lopped off with your TVs overscan anyway without compromising the image quality.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
David Steigman said:
Im getting the Blu Ray but I cant retire the Network DVD since it has a commentary that Im going to listen to .If its boring Ill get rid of the DVD ..
I didn't know the Network DVD had a commentary. Who by?
If it's by Peter Sasdy I should get it.

I've been watching Hands of the Ripper in the HAMMER HORROR COLLECTION box-set released by MRA Entertainment in Australia. The box-set consists of the three titles later released on blu by Synapse: Hands of the Ripper, Vampire Circus and Twins of Evil. The set comes in a fold-out inside a slip-case with a nice glossy booklet. The aspect ratios are 1.85 > 16 x 9. The transfers are sharp, the color is true, and the density is correct. This is how I remember them from repeated theatrical screenings.

HammerHorrorCollection.jpg
HammerHorrorCollection-back.jpg

HammerHorrorCollection-3.jpg

Synapse's Hammer blus are disappointing. Vampire Circus is too dark. The densities are all wrong. Flamboyantly wrong. Trying to watch the film is exasperating. Twins of Evil has the same problem, only not as severe. I don't know if the problem originated with Hammer, MGM or Synapse. The transfers on the Australian DVD set are correct for brightness, contrast, black level and color.

Hands of the Ripper is character-driven tragedy with a literate script. I've always thought it was one of Hammer's best Gothics, and their most atypical film. It would not be out of place on Masterpiece Theater. I'll buy the Synapse blu-ray because I'm a Hammer completist, but I expect the transfer will be exactly like their other Hammer titles -- it will have more resolution than any previous release and be overly dark. I'll end up watching the Australian DVD to enjoy the film.

Reactions: WadeM

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
Richard--W said:
I didn't know the Network DVD had a commentary. Who by?
If it's by Peter Sasdy I should get it.
The commentary is by the two British critics and horror enthusiasts Kim Newman and Alan Jones. These two also contributed commentaries for the R2 DVDs of The Possession of Joel Delaney and another title I can't remember at the moment.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
We were told, what, two years ago that HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD was coming...? As Jeff Goldblum said in JURASSIC PARK, "Eventually you do plan to have dinosaurs on your dinosaur tour, right?" so I would ask of Synapse, "You do plan to have Blu-rays in your Blu-ray release schedule, right?"

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Synapse never planned to release HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD - that was Severin. And the rights shifted to Hens Tooth, who has zero interest in releasing a bd.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
I've only seen this one once, but I seem to recall it standing out among the latter Hammer films, so I definitely want to get this blu-ray.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shiggy6581