What's new

SyFy's Alphas (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The cast is almost too good for the material. I haven't seen anything like it, within the X-Men framework or otherwise, though like you I didn't get any sense of where its headed.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
So far, good reviews.

http://www.slate.com/id/2298961/

I do realize this is a very different kind of show. The superpowers aren't "INCREDIBLE" superpowers. They are superpowers, but just minor differences from normal people that seem to all have drawbacks and significant limits. Which could make this pretty interesting if handled well.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The premiere was OK. The back-and-forth between Gary and Bill will get real old, real fast, so I hope they do that sparingly.
The death by plastic bag near the beginning was a little ridiculous. Why would the guy stand there and be suffocated? Why not just poke some holes in the bag, and/or at least fight back somehow?
Also it seemed unlikely that Rachel would have been alone in Hicks' apartment. If it's known that she "zones out" and does not respond to anyone when she's using her abilities, why on earth would they send her into any situation/location without a partner? It seemed like a purposeful error on the part of the writers just to add some tension to the scene.

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
The big black dude who sweats profusely who also has enhanced strength can be overcome quite easily if you just provoke him for long enough. With enough time he'll reach 'overload' and won't function at all. Kind of a double edged sword. Do we have to see him sweat like that every episode ?
The hypnogirl, whatever her name was, is smoking hot. That's all I'm going to say. The artistic kid is the worst character in this series. Very irritating.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Finally saw it last night. It was an interesting premiere, especially since we are brought in the middle of this group's fight against Red Flag. They have been going up against them for some undetermined amount of time and Red Flag was trying to strike back directly at them here. So there is quite a bit of history here that they know, but we don't.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I thought it was pretty entertaining. I actually like the concept of the show where as the characters have limitations to their powers. I do not like the rain-man character, he is annoying.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Was it just me or did it seem that they toned back Gary's autism a bit? Probably a smart move, it was a little overdone in the pilot.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if they toned down Gary's autism, but they definitely toned down the antagonism between Gary and Bill. They also made Bill come across as smarter and more competent.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Joe_H said:
Was it just me or did it seem that they toned back Gary's autism a bit? Probably a smart move, it was a little overdone in the pilot.
Yes, I think it was toned down. I was surprised as to how much younger he looks than his character in Bones.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I've enjoyed it so far. Thee will be inevitable comparisons to "Heroes", but I think this show is holding its' own.
"Heroes" was one of my favoirtes, despite the rambling and the up and down writing, but still pretty decent. Alphas have powers, but they're much more subtle, not so over the top as "Heroes" characters.
Can anyone explain the plastic bag of death to me? Accidently recorded the first episode off USA so maybe some editing? I rember Alphas opening with all the time to kill stuff and the guy getting off the impossible shot. Unless I dozed off I recall nothing of a plastic bag in the episode.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
So in the first episode, the girl with heightened senses can't hear anything when she's doing her vision. They seemed to have forgotten about this a little, there was something in the second episode that didn't quite continue this, though I don't remember what.
Now in the third episode, she's doing her vision thing on the subway, and then she's disgusted by the smell of something. A show like this really needs static rules for it to work, in my opinion. I know the pilot was probably made a while before the rest of the episodes, but still.

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
I've given up on this show. After only three episodes. It's just crap, in my opinion. As we were watching the second and third episodes it just dawned on me how irritating the spastic kid is. Also, the mentor of the group, the Xavier if you will be is annoying. If they cast Dustin Hoffman in the same role I would have spontaneously combusted. Looks like his older brother. All he needs to do is to smoke 1000 packets of cigarettes.
Moving on to the positives -- the two chicks are kinda hot, especially the mind reader. The other chick looks like a darker coloured Sara Michelle Geller. A darker skinned Buffy. I could live with that. I could. However it's the small things which are off putting. The acting for one is terrible. The characters themselves are annoying. The big dude who keeps on sweating ? Really ? Do we need to see that every darn time ? It's off putting.
I think that The Cape was more enjoyable after three episodes and I consider that show to be one of the worst ever shows. Frankly I've been enjoying Falling Skies a hell of a lot more than this.
Just my opinion.

xfile94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jennifer Colbert
I've only watched it once, and the same points you made irritate me too. After following Heroes all the way through, I really don't want to waste my time on a show I really don't like.Plus, I'm tired of the hype on this show. Why?

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
So in the first episode, the girl with heightened senses can't hear anything when she's doing her vision.
I don't think supersmell is the best power to have. Imagine all the really smelly stuff to us magnified 10x or 100x over. If the smell of blood is too much for her, well.....you can imagine.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I was kind of ticked that they killed off Don Wilson. He was the most interesting character on the show, and very much went against the grain of what you expect from that type of character. I really enjoyed that he barely tolerated the Alphas, and I enjoyed the actor (one of the Cylons from "Battlestar") who played him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks