What's new

Sydney Pollack has passed away (1 Viewer)

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
To my mind, Sydney Pollack was a fine man, a good character actor, and one of our great contemporary directors. Not to mention a learned cinemaphile.

One of the articles I read on his passing stated that when directing a movie, Pollack didn't go for cinematic tricks; he let the dialog and the actors' emotions sell the scene. That's what I call good, clean story-telling, and above all else, Sydney Pollack was a master story-teller.

Jeremiah Johnson is one of my top-three all-time favorite movies. I also very much enjoy Three Days of the Condor, Absence of Malice and The Firm.

Rest In Peace Mr. Pollack. Thanks for sharing with us.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Big shock when I read about it this morning. We seem to be losing so many Hollywood greats.

I can watch his scenes in Tootsie over and over again and still have tears from laughing so hard. He was an incredible character actor. I just have to relive some of his classic lines. The way he delivered them, his body language was just hilarious.

Michael Dorsey: Are you saying that nobody in New York will work with me?
George Fields: No, no, that's too limited... nobody in Hollywood wants to work with you either. I can't even set you up for a commercial. You played a *tomato* for 30 seconds - they went a half a day over schedule because you wouldn't sit down.
Michael Dorsey: Of course. It was illogical.
George Fields: YOU WERE A TOMATO. A tomato doesn't have logic. A tomato can't move.
Michael Dorsey: That's what I said. So if he can't move, how's he gonna sit down, George?

Michael Dorsey: You should have seen the look on her face when she thought I was a lesbian.
George Fields: "Lesbian"? You just said gay.
Michael Dorsey: No, no, no - SANDY thinks I'm gay, JULIE thinks I'm a lesbian.
George Fields: I thought Dorothy was supposed to be straight?
Michael Dorsey: Dorothy IS straight. Tonight Les, the sweetest, nicest man in the world asked me to marry him.
George Fields: A guy named Les wants YOU to marry him?
Michael Dorsey: No, no, no - he wants to marry Dorothy.
George Fields: Does he know she's a lesbian?
Michael Dorsey: Dorothy's NOT a lesbian.
George Fields: I know that, does HE know that?
Michael Dorsey: Know WHAT?
George Fields: That, er, I... I don't know

:D :D

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
As directors like Clint Eastwood and Sidney Lumet continue to demonstrate, 73 is not old for a director -- which makes this, in my view, an incalculable loss for the world of cinema. I was too upset to say anything about this yesterday, and I'm not much better about it today.

M.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
As an 80s fan, he directed two of my favorite movies of the decade, "Tootsie" and "Out Of Africa". I haven't really seen any of his other movies, but I should probably make an effort to.

When I heard of his death, I thought of "Out Of Africa", and then this song, based on a theme from the movie, came to mind:

YouTube - Music of Goodbye - Out of Africa Theme

He will be missed.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I think that tonight I'll open my copy of "Tootsie" that I purchased at the Virgin Megastore at Downtown Disney's West Side.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Too bad about this great actor/director/cinephile. He was one of the few directors who was believable as an actor. Loved him in Eyes Wide Shut, loved his work in Tootsie, and Out of Africa.
I hope he's finally found peace, after his struggle with cancer.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
From Ebert's review of Michael Clayton:

This is pretty much my impression of his roles. He was effortless at those.

There is much of his work I've yet to see, looking forward to catching up.

RIP.

--
H

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I was thinking of a favorite moment from Out Of Africa.
Such a small thing.
Wanting to hear her name spoken by a beloved servant, she asks.
Finally Farah responds, "You are Karen".

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
aargh no not Sydney Pollack? What a terrible year it's been so far for film fans.

Not just a great director, I enjoyed seeing him on screen too.

:frowning:

RIP

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
He was one of Hollywood's best mainstream directors, and as an actor was always a welcome presence on screen. Pollack lent a touch of class to everything he was involved in, which is not surprising since by all accounts he was one of the industry's true class acts personally.

He went too soon, and he will be missed. R.I.P.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Very sad indeed :frowning:. A great actor, whom I most recently enjoyed in Michael Clayton, and a great director of not just the movies mentioned earlier, but also later things, such as The Interpreter, and Random Hearts, a movie nobody but me seem to like ;), where he directs as well as acts.
Maybe I'll just have to watch that in his honor tonight.

RIP, mr Pollack, and thanks for everything.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
A huge void has been opened in Hollywood, of classic film making, with intelligence and grace, which required the actor to do their craft, and not clutter up the works with special effects that the current crop will never be able to fill. IMO the best work the Redford did came from Pollack’s direction, and one of my favorite directors to step in front of the camera as well, always a spot on performance. Thank you for the legacy that you left, prayers for your family, and may you rest in peace.

ted:r

Second Unit
I heard the news this AM and was shocked and saddened. He directed one of my favorite thrillers of all time, "Three Days Of The Condor"* and many other wonderful films.

My deepest sympathy to his family, his friends and his fans. A dark sad day for all.

* I saw "Three Days" for the first time in a film class at Penn State, ca. 1980-81. The instructor said it was adapted from a novel "Six Days Of The Condor" which was the worst book he had ever read. I've never read the book, but the film is so wonderful, I've never wanted to. And never regretted it for a second.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
RIP to a terrific director and actor.

Sadly, not surprising since reports of his illness had been circulating the past several months. With Paul Newman also reportedly dealing with cancer and James Garner in the hospital with a stroke this is shaping up to be a potentially terrible year in terms of losing Hollywood giants.

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
It is sad to know that Sydney Pollack is gone. He was not only one of my favorite fillmakers or favorite actors, but he was also one of my favorite producers too. In fact, quite ironically, the last film he produced, the HBO movie Recount aired for the first time the night before he died. As I've said in a coupe of other threads, he went out with a bang with that film.

As for some of the other films he produced, through his Mirage company, he was responsible for films like King Ralph, Scrooged, and Michael Clayton. He was great at everything he did in his career.

And Mikael, I also loved his film Random Hearts. I still do not understand why it gets a bad rap either. It's a very good movie.

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
A fine actor indeed, one of those faces that pop up a lot and always does a good job. More kudos for him in Michael Clayton, and thats a hell of a picture Thi, good company all around. He will be missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks