Sybil on dvd?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeremy_Z, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Jeremy_Z

Jeremy_Z Agent

Anybody heard anything about this coming to dvd? Would love to see a dvd of this great tv movie.

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

How on earth did you read my mind?
    The other day my son brought home two scribblings from daycare: one was a green crayon scribbling and the other was, naturally, purple crayon.
    Every since then I was thinking that Sybil really needs to be on DVD! [​IMG]
    This would be a street date purchase for me and my wife, if it was ever available. Who owns the rights?

3. Jeremy_Z

Jeremy_Z Agent

I saw it on tv the other day and it had a somewhat new looking Paramount credit at the beginning. So I would guess that they own rights to it.

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Yeah, but I put in my Universal-issued Rear Window DVD the other day, and it ALSO had a Paramount-looking credit at the beginning! [​IMG]
    What studio produced it unfortunately doesn't mean jack in terms of present-day rights owners.
    But the fact that it looked "new" to you MIGHT mean something. Martin, are you reading this?

5. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Having the 200-minute miniseries of this rather than the 132-minute video edition would be great.

6. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I want it also just so I can see Sally Field's stunning performance again!

7. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

8. ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa Cinematographer

With the real "Sybil" now deceased, there may be legal issues with the estate for some reason.

9. JeffMc

JeffMc Supporting Actor

jeffmc

The 2-hour version of the film WAS released on video back in the 80's from CBS-FOX VIDEO. It's been out-of-print for years, though. Many of the titles CBS-FOX released on video years ago remain out-of-print to this day - don't know why. Don't know if Fox has any rights to "Sybil" anymore or not. It's amazing so many of these classic 70's tv movies (which would still have a HUGE following) remain in some weird limbo. Why are they out-of-print?

I've sold the "Sybil" tape on ebay countless times in the past and it always ended in a bidding war. People want this movie. And yes, it would definitely be preferable in the 4-hour version.

10. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    I would buy this also. This was Sally Field's breakthrough performance, where she proved she could play something besides the cutie-pie girl next door.

11. Kelly V

Kelly V Stunt Coordinator

It was available on VHS - my Psych teacher owned a copy and showed in his classes. I get at least one inquiry per month on this title, and I personally would love to own it! I've not seen the 4 hour version. I hope it will come that way. If it is the family holding it back, please know how important this story is to many people. Along with "The Bell Jar" - also unavailable, I believe - it has been an inspiration for so many who are similarly afflicted. Those who ask me about the availability of this title tell me that they want it for/because of a loved one with Psychological issues. It is an important story and a great performannce by SF. [​IMG]

12. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

Did anyone else read the Subject header and think Sybil Danning?
    [​IMG]
    Man... of all the early 80s B-movie starlets, she was by far the most spankworthy!
    I- I need more Golan-Globus films...

13. Graham Greenlee

I saw the full four-hour (with commercials) version of Sybil on the WE (Women's Entertainment) channel back in early February, and was absolutely captivated. It holds up REALLY well, and a DVD version is sorely missed.

At the end of both parts, there was a Paramount distribution credit, so I'd say that Paramount still owns the rights to it, if it's airing on cable. I wrote a letter to Paramount, noting interest in a DVD release. In the past, I've sent them a letter requesting "Leap of Faith" with Steve Martin, and there's a rumor of it appearing this September, so....

I'd love to see a two-disc edition with both parts on separate discs and a few extras. An original documentary with a number of participants would be great. Paramount has done great work with the recent releases of Roman Holiday and To Catch a Thief, so they can do good SE work on classic releases. I'd love a commentary with Sally Field and maybe Joanne Woodward or director Daniel Petrie, who recently directed the wonderful Showtime movie Wild Iris with Laura Linney in an Emmy-winning performance. And speaking of Emmys, Emmy-award footage would be nice, as Sybil won four Emmys awards. (Best Special, Best Actress, Best Writing, and Best Dramatic Underscore)

But, a one disc edition with the complete series would be fine.

14. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

It would really have to be the full version. A truncated version would be a travesty.

15. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

Count me in as another who would buy this. I saw the original when it aired and read the book. It's fascinating stuff, very disturbing (true or not).
    I always wondered if the little girl who played the child Sybil grew up with any mental problems. The behind-the-scenes I'd like to see is how they filmed those horrifying scenes with her (such as being tied to the piano) without causing permanent damage to the poor child's psyche. The actress (Natasha Ryan, born in 1970) was also in Mary Jane Harper Cried Last Night which was pretty disturbing too, Good Against Evil, Kingdom of the Spiders, The Day Time Ended, The Entity AND The Amityville Horror, all before she was 12! According to IMDB, she hasn't acted since 1983. Who can blame her?! I hope she's not serial killing somewhere.

16. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

That is indeed an interesting resume for Natasha Ryan. Maybe she got tired of type casting.

17. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

For those asking about the rights to "Sybil"...

This was originally a Lorimar production, and WB has since acquired Lorimar's holdings, so it would be Warner Home Video which would now have the rights.

Be nice if they did this, seeing that they had success with their "V" DVDs.

18. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

I saw the full version on WE also,

and was amazed, having known it only from

the edited version.

It should be released on dvd.

19. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

20. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Fantastic news. WB just continues to amaze us with the handling of their film library. I'd pay twice the price for this release. Too bad other Studios can't seem to learn anything from WB!