What's new

SXRD should I wait? (1 Viewer)

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
I personally picked the sony because it looked good on the floor, and the ratings for it around the net seem to be consistently high.

As far as SDTV I believe a good bit of that has to do with what you are piping in to it. I've been very impressed with some of the shows that I've watched. Others not as much, but nothing has really detracted me from whatever material I'm wanting to see.

If it's a crappy signal on your regular tv, then it's going to still look crappy on the sony.

However I find that dvd's looks outstanding. I couldn't be happier.

I do find that you need to find the magic distance from you tv set that will give the joy of the larger screen, but far enough to hide the imperfections of whatever signal you are watching.

If I sat 4 feet away from the screen I would see many flaws.

From 8 to 10 feet I don't notice it on a good signal and can just watch whatever it is that I'm watching.

How much is the JVC? I caught this sxrd for $1899 and tax.

I haven't noticed fast panning to be an issue. I've tested a few quick moving movies and things seemed fine to me.

Brian D H

Second Unit

The 56" JVC is about the same price as the 50" Sony that you got; while the 52" JVC can be found for around $1,400.

So, I can get a bigger screen for your price (If a 8-9 fooot distance isn't too close). But if I need to go with a 50" screen then I'll still be paying $1,800-$1,900 since I probably won't by a set without iris control.

So, it looks like I'm spending $1,800-$1,900 either way. Do I get a 56" JVC or a 50" Sony for that? Do I really need the iris control? Is 8-9 feet too close for a 56" screen on SD signal?

Thanks for you help, Clay. Anyone else?

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
I would take a trip to the store and see if they'll let you play a few dvds and sdtv on them both.

That's about the only way to decide what is big or to big.

I don't think I would have wanted the 56" based of what I saw when I was looking in the 8 to 10ft range.

Unless I was going to be a few more feet back I think the screen size may very well make the sdtv worse than if you went with a 50.

How good is your signal?

I've read that somewhere recommends 6ft for a 50" tv. I think that's just too close. Maybe not for a really clear and great HDTV signal, but for anything else a few more feet helps to keep it clean.

Then again I don't have the exp that everyone else may. :)

What's the bulb life rated for on the jvc, and the bulb cost?

The sony one is supposed to be available for 200ish.

leafswillwin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
i agree those suggested specs of viewing distances just arent right. i have a 60 inch sxrd and i have around 14 feet from it. i love the distance and going too close just strains the eyes. i dont see how people can sit soo close, there ruining their eyes IMO.

Brian D H

Second Unit
Alright, so the 56" JVC is out.

But, the 52" JVC is cheaper and when I compared it to the 50" Sony in the store I actually liked it better. Once I get it home how important will the lack of iris control be to me? This is not something I can compare in a store environment which always has the same lighting. (I was in Ultimate Electronics which has a fairly mid-level lighted showroom - not bright like Best Buy) I guess I can go from store to store.....

Opinions on iris control, please? In the long run, will I be satisfied with black-levels without it?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Next time you go look at the 52" JVC, turn the brightness and picture/contrast down almost all the way, and see what the screen looks like. You may see what happens with the absence of an adjustable iris, perhaps you'll see the screen still glowing due to the way the bulb just glows and glows.

Brian D H

Second Unit

Thanks. Will do.

(On an unrelated topic I'm a bit distracted right now. I'm a Virginia Tech Alum.)

Don T

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
Hello Everybody,

It has been a really long time since I posted. I am usually the kind of guy that does a ton of research before buying any new electronic equipment. But on Saturday, I stopped by the local BB and was blown away by a new TV. It was a Sony KDS55-A2020, it is 55" and a SXRD. I know that you can get the 60", but to be honest, the 55 might be a little too big on its own.

My previous TV was an excellent 36" XBR Wega CRT. I loved that thing and had flawless performance for about ten years, but I wanted to step into HDTV and widescreen.

I have not read any reviews about this TV and went with only my eyes. Here is what I have learned in the 1 day I have had the TV.

1. It is super light compared to my 36" XBR Wega (btw, I need to sell this thing on Craigslist or something, what is the going rate with a stand?)
2. With an upconverting DVD player, the picture is incredible. Great color and definition.
3. With standard Sat TV, picture is not as good as the 36" TV. I am upgrading to HD Sat this week.
4. Anything with subtitles is horrible. The text is very blocky.

I don't know anything about the A2000 vs XBR stuff. This is the first time I went in and judged soley on what looked best to me. For this size of TV, this looked best to me. I think it is important to always remember, what is one person's cup of tea, may not be yours.

Good day and it is nice to be back.

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
Hey Don,

My 55A2020 just hit the 30 day mark yesterday. Bought mine from CC. First set I received had a few issues with blacks and a green color in the center of the screen that never went away. CC exchanged it with no hassles. So far with the replacement I don't have any complaints. HDTV looks fantastic on it and so does HD-DVD on my HD-XA2 and BR via my PS3. I still adjust from time to time but now that I have the DVE HD-DVD disc I hope to dial things in a little closer.

For me it was the perfect size for our room. Price was a little high when I bought it but I had a CC AAA 10% off coupon that saved $269.00 and have since gone back twice for price adjustments and saved 400 bucks more. Love that 30 day price match.

Nice set and very happy with my purchase.

Jim

Don T

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
Hello Jim,

I have had no issues like that so far. The only issue I have had is after the HDTV sat was installed. I could see the foodTV channel in HDTV and wanted to eat everything. FoodTV in HDTV is like Crack, it should be illegal.

I will keep you updated if there is any issue. The settings listed above actually worked out quite nicely for me. I just ordered a Logitech Harmony 890 and cant wait to get it up and running so the wife can work it.

Talk to you soon,
Don

louky

Auditioning
Real Name
don
a2000 and a2020 are the exact same tv except for the silver/black frame. also, if you are considering one of these tvs don't think you need an upconverting dvd player, the picture is excellent from a standard progressive scan dvd player as well. the sony does a better job upconverting than most dvd players so your money is better spent on a different upgrade.

TedO

Stunt Coordinator
I am shopping for a new HDTV and am just about ready to pull the trigger on a 70" Sony SXRD. I have a Sony store near me and I can pick this set up (referb with warranty) for $4400.

Are there any other TVs I should look at before I buy this one? I want to stay in the 70" range and this seems to be the most bang for the buck.

I will be running Directv and plan to get a PS3 for the BR playback. Any advice would be great.

Joe Cole

Second Unit

This is the set I have set my sights on as well. Does any one have an insights as to the upgrades or changes coming on the A3000 models? I am also waiting for the price of the 70" model to make it below $4500. I am doubtful that the new models will be better and cheaper. I have tried to find out if the new SXRD sets will have the new double refresh rate [from 60 to 120 per second] but have not found out any thing except that this is most helpful for DLP and LCD models. If Sony adds a method for adjusting individual colors and HDMI 1.3 waiting would be worth it IMHO. Any inside info?

Brian D H

Second Unit

Update: Father's day sales have this set at $1,999 with an additional rebate of another $200 for signing up for various HD cable/dish packages. I saw this at both CC and Best Buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks