SXRD at HE

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Robert Holloway, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Robert Holloway

Robert Holloway Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone on this forum seen the new Sony projector at the San Francisco Home Theater exhibition this weekend.

Other sites on the net suggest this is the big breakthrough in projector technology.

Rob

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Could this possibly be a full 1080p display?

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Oh Crap! I forgot about that show this weekend. How was it?

4. johnbr

johnbr Stunt Coordinator

They are talking about 20 to 30k for it "BUMMER"[​IMG]

5. Richard Paul

Richard Paul Stunt Coordinator

John where did you here the price being 20-30 thousand?

6. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

There are several first person reports about SXRD at HE over at AVS. Stereophile also has a report. They all basically agree about the amazing picture quality (with some doubts about black level b/c most demo material was bright), and that the Sony reps were confirming that the projector is NOT going to be competing in the same price range as the HD2 DLP units (i.e. $6k - $15k), but a replacement for Sony's G90 CRT (around $35-40k). Big time bummer, and frankly while I can understand that there may be some good reasoning behind that price point it just doesn't seem competitive AT ALL. Without having actually seen SXRD and only going by reports... the HD2 DLP units are good enough that SXRD sounds like an incremental improvement, not a revelation. I just can't see many paying a huge premium for that when the performance at $6k - 8k is so good these days. (And I'm waiting for that level to drop below $5k before I bite.)

7. BillyH

BillyH Stunt Coordinator

As far as 1080P, doesn't TAW have a unit out there that does that at about half the price? DILA, right?

8. PaulHeroy

No. The TAW LCOS unit is SXGA, or 1365 x 1024. The retail is $25k so it's not much less than the expected price of the Sony, although it does include the Rock processor. But the 1080 LCOS panels are out there -- in the Toshiba RPTV and Sony's SXRD -- so I expect more products will start showing up with 1920 x 1080 rez.

9. Richard Paul

Richard Paul Stunt Coordinator

Well I guess many of us were being over optimistic of the price range of SXRD. It's not uncommon that new technologies are expensive since at first they are usually used to recoup the cost of the research. I must admit with Toshiba's 1080p LCOS with a price near $6,000 there is still good news. What I wonder is why has no manafacturer made a FP using 1080p LCOS?

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    As for 1080p, there are more and more displays (particulalry FPTV) that "accept" a 1080p signal but downconvert it to their native resolution. I know that Sony was working on a native 1920x1080 resolution chip so I assume that anything new from them, especially at that pricepoint, would be full HD resolution.

11. PaulHeroy

There's been an announcement by Sony Japan for an SXRD projector, along with a line of other products in a new "Qualia" series. There's a 36" direct view CRT, and LCD projector and what appears to be a stylish (stereo?) audio system.

It's in Japanese and is um, a little odd looking Flash design, but here's the scoop: Qualia intro

The Qualia 004 is the SXRD projector, approx. 20,300 in Japan. I assume US intro would be a little higher than that. It does look sexy as hell, though it's 88 pounds. Appears to be completely sealed, too.

12. PaulHeroy

Look like I may have misinterpreted the photo and some few numbers & acronyms on what I thought was an LCD projector, it may actually be a 2MP digital camera. (For a cool $3200?! This thing better have x-ray vision for that much! [​IMG] ) CNN has a story up so it looks like Sony is starting the marketing campaign, after being tight lipped at HE.