What's new

Sword/Sandal/Biblical Epics missing on DVD (1 Viewer)

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Where are the following that are missing on DVD ??
"Samson And Delilah"
"Solomon And Sheba"
"The Egyptian"
"Quo Vadis"
"Atlantis, The Lost Continent"
"Sodom And Gomorrah"
"Esther And The King"
"The Last Days Of Pompeii"-1959
"Hercules"-1960-NOT THE VARIOUS PD COPIES THAT ABOUND A GOOD ANAMORPHIC WIDESCREEN TRANSFER
"The Land Of The Pharoah's"
Just to name a few off the top of my head.

Bill Marsh

Agent
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Sword and sandal pics need more and better qualiity releases. Spaghetti westerns have had lots of releases and they are in the same vein. As a kid I used to love these costumed hero pics with cheesy dialogue and mediocre budgets--it was the beginning of my love of epic movies like El Cid--LofA--Spartacus---10 commandments--etc etc.

Bring em on

Bill Marsh

Agent
Sorry if my last post indicated that i think all of these are cheesy---I don't ----some of those titles are really good films and deserve to be treated as such. I have not seen The Colossus of Rhodes but it sounds pretty awesome on IMDB.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Some of them are cheezy, and probvably entertaining because of the cheeziness. Quo Vadis is quite good, though, and I'd love to see a good release of that one, SE or no.

walter o

Supporting Actor

It isn't lost, as it played on Cinemax about 4 years ago, real nice print from MGM/Warner.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I have "COLOSSUS OF RHODES" on DVD. It is the uncut Italian version and is letterboxed 2.35:1 and anamorphic. It is a French release DVD from Canal+Video.
The DVD also has deleted scenes, trailerrs, interviews, and a gallery of photos.
Its great fun to watch...but alas there are no English subtitles.

I sure wish THE EGYPTIAN would be released on DVD!!!

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes

That's good to know. They need to get on releasing this (along with any other Leone movies that don't have a region one releas).

Charles H

Screenwriter
...and SAMSON AND DELILAH, although it ain't going to happen under the current Paramount regime of teenage temps. I believe that Sergio Leone directed THE COLOSSUS OF RHODES and "co-directed" (?) SODOM AND GOMORRAH with Robert Aldrich. Also the notorious THE SILVER CHALICE (with a fascinating production design) and THE STORY OF MANKIND (with a fascinating cast, including Peter Lorre as Nero).

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I forgot two,
"The Minotaur"-1960
"Revolt Of The Slaves"
These epics would be a good project for ANCHOR BAY to pick up or CRITERION

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
Solomon And Sheba (1959) played on the BBC over Christmas, a rather washed out print and pan/scanned I think, but still watchable. There is a British DVD but it is not supposed to be any good.

The film itself is interesting, with one big battle sequence, but hardly the best of the genre.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Land of the Pharaohs is also coming in the same set as Colossus of Rhodes, though releasing them as part of a "Cult Camp Classics" set denotes a certain lack of respect. And Quo Vadis was announced as a future film release during the last Warner Bros. chat. My hope is that the success of 300 and its release on DVD could inspire more sword and sandal films to be released.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to see a DVD(or high def) release of THE SILVER CHALICE. Not a good film at all, but the crazy igloo sets and Jack Palance's nutty performance make it fun to watch.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

TCM ran Colossus of Rhodes letterboxed about two years ago, although they aired a version that was a little under 130 minutes (I was still recording on VHS then and fit it in SP speed on a T-130).

john a hunter

Screenwriter
We sure do ! Weinstein reportedly purchased the rights to the Bronston classics last year. Hopefully we will get an announcement about release dates before much longer and in HD DVD as well as SD .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks