What's new

Sword and Sandal wishlist (1 Viewer)

ptb2007

Agent
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale

And the battle apart is one of the most turgid movies ever made, a total waste of 70mm and everybodies time!! Good for insomniac though!
IMO of course!

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
I know Quo Vadis? is coming, but does anybody know when? This year?

Also would like to see The Egyptian get a nice disc. Haven't seen it in a long time, and never in widescreen (!).

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Yes, the Steve Reeves films should be all restored and given their proper release ASAP. Hope whomever holds the distribution rights are you LISTENING ?? LONG OVERDUE !!!!!!!!!
Also,
"REVOLT OF THE SLAVES"
"THE EGYPTIAN"
"SOLOMON AND SHEBA"
"THE MINOTAUR"-61
"ATLANTIS, THE LOST CONTINENT"
"ESTHER AND THE KING"
"SODOM AND GOMORRAH"
"SAMSON AND DELILAH"

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
Well quite a few of the Steve Reeves films are available on DVD in Europe and I've just reviewed four number of them available (and still in print) on great looking DVDs from Germany.

* Hercules Unchained (1959)
* The Last Days of Pompeii (1959)
* Romulus and Remus (1961)
* The Trojan Horse (1961)

Plus if you want to learn more about the films, I have detailed guides to Steve Reeves and The Peplum.

Still there are many of his most interesting sounding titles missing-in-action, including his final film, the self-penned Spaghetti Western 'A Long Ride from Hell' - lets just hope that these come to DVD in 2008.

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
Two more Steve Reeves films from Retromedia in a double-bill release. Picture quality is not the best but they are at least in original aspect ratio.

Giant of Marathon - which was mostly helmed by Mario Bava and comes highly recommended.
War of the Trojans - not so well made but still worth watching for genre fans.

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
Some more R1, OAR Pepla have been released in the shape of Goliath and the Barbarians and Goliath and the Vampires from Wild East (available at Amazon.com).

Some good news, MYA communications have announced a DVD release of the very little known 1971 post-peplum Ritorno del gladiatore più forte del mondo, hitting DVD in May and hopefully with a nice OAR print based on their recent work.

Less good news, the Retromedia latest Peplum DVD is a release of Riccardo Freda's Samson and the 7 Miracles of the World (1961) - it is in OAR but print quality is low and the print is truncated by around 20 minutes. It is doubled with 'Ali Baba and the 7 Saracens' which is full length but cropped to fullscreen. They are promising a release of Alfonso Brescia's Il magnifico gladiatore (1964) which apparently looks infinitely better, but no release date set yet.

ptb2007

Agent
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
We have a tv channel in the Uk called Movies for men that shows the occasional wide screen 60s epic. Last week we had 'The Warrior and the Slavegirl' and Robert Aldrich's dire but compulsive 'Sodom and Gomorrah'. Both were dodgy prints though shown in full wide screen, with the occasional wobble you get when transferring a vhs to dvd format. But better than nothing. Sunday they are showing War of the Trojans. I'm desperate to get a decent widescreen copy of The Trojan Horse but can't find it anywhere.
Tim you recommend a German dvd on your web site but it seems to have disappeared. There are a couple on amazon-de but neither say what ratio it is in and look a bit suspect.
About time more of these wonderful 60s movies got decent treatment on dvd.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Received this yesterday, it is cropped to 16x9 and has Italian and French languages only and no english sub-titles.
,Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen PI

I just ordered "Son of Spartacus" from Amazon.fr. I hope it's 2.35:1.

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
I have been out of the loop for a while, just wondering if any good Peplum titles with English sub or dub have snuck out in the last 12 months? Cheers.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
FYI- TCM is having a "SWORD AND SANDAL" month and showing some real rare titles like
"Revolt Of The Slaves" ,"Atlas", and "The Minotaur" set your DVRS..........

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Revolt of the Slaves is now one of the only peplums to make it to blu-ray in the States. Better luck overseas with a gorgeous region free BD of Sign of the Cross available from Elephant Films in France along with a region free BD of Sirk's Sign of the Pagan, also from Elephant, and the Kirk Douglas Ulysses from Germany (region B). A really nice region A blu-ray of Ulmer's Victor Mature Hannibal is available from Amazon Japan. In DVD land, the Intergroove German Hercules Unchained is as gorgeous as I've ever seen it, 2,35:1 and almost BD quality. Wishing for Romulus and Remus, Seven To Thebes, Le Baccanti, Journey Beneath the Desert and Constantine the Great. Great thread, let's keep it alive!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I see there's a release of Duel Of The Titans (1961) ( Romulus & Remus) in Germany in January. I don't think this has been released on Blu-ray, I can't find any signs of it.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I see there's a release of Duel Of The Titans (1961) ( Romulus & Remus) in Germany in January. I don't think this has been released on Blu-ray, I can't find any signs of it.

Thanks for "bumping" this thread. Some very interesting comments from people who posted just a few times and then disappeared.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I want Blu-rays for Medusa Against the Son Hercules aka Perseus, Fire Monsters Against the Son of Hercules, Hercules and the Captive Women and Hercules and the Princess of Troy

This thread was from 2004 ! 16 years old :)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Revolt of the Slaves is now one of the only peplums to make it to blu-ray in the States. Better luck overseas with a gorgeous region free BD of Sign of the Cross available from Elephant Films in France along with a region free BD of Sirk's Sign of the Pagan, also from Elephant, and the Kirk Douglas Ulysses from Germany (region B). A really nice region A blu-ray of Ulmer's Victor Mature Hannibal is available from Amazon Japan. In DVD land, the Intergroove German Hercules Unchained is as gorgeous as I've ever seen it, 2,35:1 and almost BD quality. Wishing for Romulus and Remus, Seven To Thebes, Le Baccanti, Journey Beneath the Desert and Constantine the Great. Great thread, let's keep it alive!

There's a handsome blu ray of Messalina with Belinda Lee available from France with optional French subtitles rather than burned in. Lovers of peplum should enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks