Switching Receivers with DirecTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jin E, Mar 4, 2001.

1. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

My brother has decided to get a DirecTV system. I was thinking of using this as an opertunity to upgrade my DirecTV receiver to one with Dolby Digital capabilities. Is this as simple as just switching receivers (and keeping my card)... or is this more complicated then that. Is the card locked to the receiver? I read a post in the After Hours lounge where DirecTV would not let the poster use his old access card in a new receiver.
    ------------------
    -Jin
    My Theater

2. Dan Coughlin

Dan Coughlin Extra

Unfortunately it is more complicated than that. DirecTV will not let you just move your card to another receiver - they are "married." If you buy a new receiver you just call DirecTV with it hooked up and give them the receiver serial number and the card number. They'll activate it and de-activate your current card.
    If your brother wanted to use your current receiver what you would do is have DirecTV send him a new card, for which they'll charge $90. If you return the old card to them they refund $50 (I think, might only be $40 though). With the price of basic receivers new right take a close look at that before you do it - it might be cheaper for him to just buy a new receiver.
    Dan

3. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

Jim,
    See my story in the After Hours Lounge - here. Directv won't let you do this unless your current receiver dies. I'm not happy with them.
    Regardless, best of luck.
    ~~Nathan
    ------------------
    All your base are belong to us.