What's new

Switching out a speaker in a sub (1 Viewer)

Steven_B

Agent
I received a KLH 10in 120watt sub recently, and am not impressed. I understand that it's a discount brand, but could I take it apart and replace the individual speaker with another. I understand that there is a crossover to contend with. Do they have to match in some way? I have a decent 10in speaker I could try, but it is from a regular home speaker. I would get another sub all together, but don't have the money. I would just go ahead and try my little plan, but I don't want to mess up the sub so I end up with nothing.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The bottom line is no (especially since the replacement driver is coming from a tower speaker). It would be easy enough to do, but you most likely won't get any worth while gain in performance. If you can give us the box volume type and tuning (if applicable) along with the T/S specs of both drivers then we can answer your question (only the box info is something you could find since you can measure it directly). Try the search feature if you would like some more detail on why we need that info, this topic comes up every once and a while.

But, if you don't have to screw the baffel up to badly making new holes for the other driver's mounting screws (assuming they are the same size, different 10" drivers don't have the same flange diameter), only thing you'll lose by trying is time. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks