Switching Multiple DVI Sources

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by David_Rivshin, Sep 17, 2003.

1. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

Dale,
    Unfortunately I can't help you with your needs, but for the record Sony's newest top-of-the-line receiver has 2 in 1 out DVI switching capability. As far as I'm aware it's the only receiver or pre/pro with that capability.

I am curious, however: what equipment do you have, or plan to buy, that has DVI outputs? I am aware of some DVD players with DVI output (or you could use an HTPC with DVI output), as well as some ATSC and satellite tuners, but that only brings the count to 2. I could imagine in the future some game consoles might support DVI, but I didn't think any do today. Perhaps PS3 or XBox2 might. I can't think of much reason to convert analog signals (NTSC (which will soon be dead anyways), VCR, LD) to digital, as I'm sure the display device would be able to do almost as good a job as most transcoders anyways. By the time I got to more than 2 digital video sources I'm sure cheaper solutions would be available...
    So if you could fill us in on what you had in mind, I'd be interested in knowing.

Good luck in your search,
    -- Dave

2. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

Re: DishDVR 921 - Look for at least a limited introduction in early November (yay!). I've been eagerly awaiting this product as well. BTW, the 921 has 1 ATSC tuner as well, and can even record ATSC broadcasts. Supposedly they will be integrated with the guide to some extent as well.
    Given that, I'm not sure what the need for an NTSC tuner is. My area isn't exactly top on the HDTV list, but all the local stations are now, or will very soon be, broadcasting an ATSC signal. That is what I meant by NTSC being soon dead. Many people will still have NTSC display devices, and alot of stations will still be broadcasting an NTSC signal. But if I had the choice between using the ATSC or NTSC (even processed by the best transcoder money can buy) signal I'd definitely choose ATSC, especially when I was concerned about using DVI as interface to the display.
    At least for me the 921 will take over all "TV" duties, no need for any other tuners. Let's hope the silly thing works [​IMG]

I'm also puzzled by your desire to use both a DVD player and an HTPC. You could use the HTPC for your DVD duties as well, unless you wanted to have a DVD changer of some form. But then the only other thing I can imagine using the HTPC for is playing games on a big screen, not something a G4 cube would excel at... Just curious here [​IMG]

I have to agree with your D-VHS choice, that does make at least 3 sources to deal with (TV, DVD, and D-VHS). I wonder if D-VHS players with DVI output would output regular VHS and S-VHS tapes via DVI? That require a built in transcoder, so probably only on the higher end models. In any event transcoding VHS to HD-DVI is basically useless except for convenience, you know what they say about polishing a turd... Might be better than via composite, but still nowhere near even standard DVD and much more expensive.

Signal generator: would love to have one, but certainly can't justify the cost for myself... Avia will have to suffice for me at least [​IMG] I wonder if anyone will put out a test D-VHS tape? Would certainly be nice.

As for Sony.... eh, basically fits the pattern. As soon as they figure out they need to upconvert composite and S-Video to component, they come out with DVI switching, but forget to transcode to DVI! There goes that supposed convenience right out the window... I think the same thing happened when composite to S-video upconversion started to appear, they added non-upconverted component at the same time. I wonder if convenience will ever catch up to technology... of course they also just figured out that they need at least 3:1 component switching... Only a year or two too late for most people who would care...

-- Dave

3. John KG

John KG Auditioning

I have only been able to find one DVI Switcher specifically designed for use with HDTV. Check the Gefen site for the "HDTV Switcher." Unfortunately, it only accepts two DVI inputs while providing one DVI output. It is supposed to be HDCP compliant, something those DVI Switchers designed for computer use may not be! Don't know if you could "pyramid" seven units to make eight inputs--at $250 each that cost $1750! still cheaper than $4000 for the new Sony 9000ES receiver that has only two DVI outputs. If the Gefen HDTV Switcher sell, it will be only a matter of time before units with more inputs become available.