switching from single to dual subs

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by DavidKelley, Jul 20, 2004.

1. DavidKelley

DavidKelley Extra

ok my current sub is a AudioSource SW15, i like this sub a lot but its a bit big and bulky for my room 11'x 11'x 8'.

I've decided to go with a pair of 10" subs these will be my first DIY project what im asking for is some great subs this size. As for budget im willing to spend 300$ for a 2ch Amp and 400$ for the Sub Drivers.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    David, you’ll have much better luck posting your question on our DIY and Advanced Projects Forum.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

Why 10" woofers specifically? Wouldn't it make more sense to set a goal for the size of the enclosure and then pick a woofer or woofers that will work with that, regardless of whether they are 10", 12", 15" or whatever. Or perhaps you have a specific reason for wanting 10's?

The reason I ask is that you can probably get more bang for your buck with two 12's or a single 15.

I assume that since size is an issue and you're planning on multiple woofers that you'll be building a sealed box.

I'd consider a pair of Stryke AV12's in a 65L box with a 500 watt/channel pro amp. The woofers are $175 each and www.musiciansfriend.com has the Nady SPA-1400 amp for $299 that puts out 2 * 500W @ 4ohms. That would be just inside your budget but I'm not sure if Stryke has AV12's on hand right now or not. If not you'd have to wait until their AV12 mk3 comes out.

Or perhaps a Blueprint 1503 in a 50L box with 1000 watts. That woofer is $240 from Acoustic Visions and the Nady XA-1100 is $279. You'd probably also need an equalizer with the Blueprint driver because of the high voice coil inductance. But still, we're talking about a heck of a lot of performance for your money here.

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons