What's new

Switched or Unswitched (1 Viewer)

Trevor L

Auditioning
I have an old NAD 1155 Pre-Amp (and NAD 216) powering a second zone with my Cary Cinema 5 and Cinema 6 Combo.

I plugged the Amp into the Pre amp (due to no space left in the line conditioner/powerbar) and it has both Switched and Unswitched plug ins.

My question is - what is the difference and which should I plug the amp into?

Thanks.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The difference should be obvious - the switched one turns on and off when you turn on and off the pre, the other is always on.

The answer is: probably neither. Check your manual to see what the current rating is for those outlets. My guess is it will not be sufficient for an amp. You could plug something else such as a DVD or CD player into it, but any high current device is not usually a good idea.

Bryan Pape

Auditioning
Agreed. NEVER plug in a high power device like that into a switched or unswitched outlet on the back of another piece. If you MUST plug a piece of equipment into it, make it something like a tuner, CD Player, etc. - something relatively low power.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Not a good idea. Those outlets are not designed to supply power amps and may or may not be fused.

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks