Switchable rear surrounds:Does anyone *OTHER* than Denon enable this???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelly Scott Rickards, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

I do know that Yamaha has a provision for two additional front effects channels, but I'd really like how you can hook up 2 sets of surrounds (say, some dipolars to the sides and direct radiators in the back corners) and switch them on the fly on all the 7 channel Denons (3802,4802,5800 and 5803)
    I understand the Sunfire III pre/pro offers something similar. Does anyone else provide this option for 9 speakers??
    PS: Is Denon the only one(reciever or pre/pro) in their price range (5803) to offer a dual-differential DAC setup (very nice feature, IMO)?
    What about slightly more expensive (i.e Tag McLaren, Aragon One,Proceed, Krell, Lexicon, ect) do they offer products with dual-diff dacs?
    Just some questions, no flame wars *PLEASE* [​IMG]

2. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm, what about splitting the Right Surr / Left Surr signals with Y-Connectors from the preouts, and have two separate two channel amps. One amp could drive one set of surrounds for movies (dipoles etc). And the other amp could drive some direct radiating surrounds for music. Then you just switch on the amp for the speaker set you want to use if you don't want to buy a new receiver with Surround A/B switching like Denons. This way anyone with a 5.1/6.1/7.1 system can have 2 sets of side surrounds, and some might have multiple rows of movie surrounds if they have a very long room, or want the place to look more movie theater like.

3. AustinKW

AustinKW Stunt Coordinator

Ouch! Kind of kludgy, no?

I think the dual surround issue will be addressed as more hirez multi-channel music is deployed. The optimum setups for HT and MCM are VERY different. That Denon supports both and has for some time is a nice feature, IMO. I suspect others will join in as time goes on.

Austin

4. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

Geoff:

Very clever idea. I might make use of it in the future. Thank you.

5. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I thought there were some speakers on the market that you could set for either? Would that work?

6. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

Yes, there are a few switchable bipoles/dipoles, such as my Polk LSi surrounds.

I might utilize Geoff's idea if I add a pair of back surrounds to my system in conjunction with the current side surrounds. For instance, I may not always desire all four surrounds running simultaneously, such as for 4.0 music (e.g., classical, where I sometimes prefer dipolar surrounds, which can often convincingly reproduce hall ambience).

Another solution, depending upon one's speaker impedances (that is, to avoid a combined load under about 3-4 ohms), is to use only one stereo surround amplifier plus a speaker switchbox to select between the various surround speakers. Some switchboxes (such as the Adcom models I've seen in the past) even offer protection circuitry to maintain impedance at a safe minimum level.

If I decide to try 7.1, I will probably simply add another stereo power amp and two LSi surrounds in back. This would be the easiest arrangement for my wife to operate on her own.

7. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

Many manufacturers (Niles, etc) carry speaker switch boxes for different power ratings. I have one by Bryston taking the outputs from a pair of 7B-ST's to switch b/w two pairs of speakers without any problem. You can go to the Bryston website and check it out.

PF

8. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

9. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

If you are willing to add another amp for your front mains, then another option may open up for you. If your receiver has an A/B switch for mains (most Yammies do, for example), preouts for all the channels, and main L/R channel amp inputs, then you can take the surround pre-outs, and loop them into the main L/R inputs. You can then run your different surrounds off of the main amps, using the A/B switch in the receiver. Of course, this only works if the efficiency of the sets of surround speakers are similar.

Wow, that was a mouthful. Of words.

Martin.

10. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

AVR307 allows for side surrounds and allows for the rears to be either the 6th and 7th speakers ala EX/matrix or they can be an additional surround pair playing in addition to or insted of the sides!!!
    surround side 5
    surround back 5
    surround 6 (ex/matrix)
    surround 7 (two pair of surrounds doin' 5.1)