What's new

Switch vs. router (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I currently have a long Ethernet cable going from my router to another part of the house (my main stereo closet). This cable was necessary to get my Tivo connected to the internet.

I now would like to have more than one device in the stereo closet hooked up to the internet (or, more accurately, to my home network). Can I just attach another router to the cable, essentially using the router as a splitter? If so, would I need to use a cross-connect cable instead of the current cable?

Or is there a better way?

Thanks

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
Just add a switch in there, and you are done the easy way. if your gear has auto mdi/mdix it wont matter if you use a crossover or straight through cable.
decent switches are super cheap nowadays, no reason too waste time setting up another router when you dont need to.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
A switch will work. I've got a simple hub distributing ethernet to all the devices in my living room. A cable leads from the hub to the router in my office. It works, though a switch is most likely preferable to a hub.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Switches send traffic from one port to the other, whereas hubs sort of send everything to all of them. Hubs are pretty old tech these days, you'd probably have to look to even find one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks