What's new

Switch Box....or new reciever? (1 Viewer)

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
Okay everyone, I have a question. I have gotten to the point that instead of running everything through my reciever (Onkyo 494) I am now needing to start switching feeds through the TV, sometimes bypassing my surround speakers all together.

My question is this, should I buy a seperate switch box and then plug that into a port on the reciever? Or should I just bear it for now, and start saving for a new reciever?

Money is a definate concern right now and either route I will need to save for a bit to get the equipment needed, But I want to know what you all reccomend. Thanks!........Wil

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Are you talking about just the video signals? If so, it gets real expensive to find a reciever that has more than 2 component inputs - and many of these are not designed for HD signals.

A inexpensive switch is $40 from MadCatz. I saw a remote-controlled 4-in-1-out switch at Radio Shack for about $70. The better (designed for HD frequencies) video switch (that includes optical and coaxial digital jacks for each source) is available from AudioAuthority. It runs about $220 - but this is a lot cheaper than having to go to a $2,000 reciever to get a third component jack.

John_RO

Stunt Coordinator
Get a switchbox. I run all my s-video through a sony swithchbox so I can use all my game consoles with s-video. I would look for a model that has automatic switching for convenience.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Many of this year's entry level models feature three component inputs-- e.g. Onkyo's TX-SR503...

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the suggestions. So, it looks like a switch box is where I want to go. Digital audio switching would be a plus, but is not required. It is mostly for my gaming systems, and HDTV is not an issue.

Now that I've decided on a switch box, any links to some suggestions would help. Thanks!............Wil

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Radio Shack 15-1987 I see these every time I go to radioshack (I have one in my hometheater) usually for sale for $79.99 on clearance. 6 in 2 out, AV switcher that switches composite, S-Video, analog stereo, and digital optical with learning on the input. On top of that it also upconverts composite to S-Video and analog to optical for wire maintenance.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
best buy sells a pretty good one by pelican. supposedly it passes hd (just kinda good to have i guess...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks