Switch Box....or new reciever?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Wil_J, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Wil_J

Wil_J Stunt Coordinator

Okay everyone, I have a question. I have gotten to the point that instead of running everything through my reciever (Onkyo 494) I am now needing to start switching feeds through the TV, sometimes bypassing my surround speakers all together.

My question is this, should I buy a seperate switch box and then plug that into a port on the reciever? Or should I just bear it for now, and start saving for a new reciever?

Money is a definate concern right now and either route I will need to save for a bit to get the equipment needed, But I want to know what you all reccomend. Thanks!........Wil

2. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

what type of inputs do you need, and how many?

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Are you talking about just the video signals? If so, it gets real expensive to find a reciever that has more than 2 component inputs - and many of these are not designed for HD signals.

A inexpensive switch is $40 from MadCatz. I saw a remote-controlled 4-in-1-out switch at Radio Shack for about $70. The better (designed for HD frequencies) video switch (that includes optical and coaxial digital jacks for each source) is available from AudioAuthority. It runs about $220 - but this is a lot cheaper than having to go to a $2,000 reciever to get a third component jack.

4. John_RO

John_RO Stunt Coordinator

Get a switchbox. I run all my s-video through a sony swithchbox so I can use all my game consoles with s-video. I would look for a model that has automatic switching for convenience.

5. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Many of this year's entry level models feature three component inputs-- e.g. Onkyo's TX-SR503...

6. Wil_J

Wil_J Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the suggestions. So, it looks like a switch box is where I want to go. Digital audio switching would be a plus, but is not required. It is mostly for my gaming systems, and HDTV is not an issue.

Now that I've decided on a switch box, any links to some suggestions would help. Thanks!............Wil

7. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Radio Shack 15-1987 I see these every time I go to radioshack (I have one in my hometheater) usually for sale for $79.99 on clearance. 6 in 2 out, AV switcher that switches composite, S-Video, analog stereo, and digital optical with learning on the input. On top of that it also upconverts composite to S-Video and analog to optical for wire maintenance.

8. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
  9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

best buy sells a pretty good one by pelican. supposedly it passes hd (just kinda good to have i guess...)