What's new

Swingtown (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I took a look at this out of curiousity. What struck me more then the business about swinging, was the music!

This was music from my highschool years. I wondered if they'd use the real music and it appears they did. I got a kick out of the Gerrard turntable, the avacado kitchen appliances and the cars!

It will be interesting to see how this series does, aside from the timeperiod, it seems like any other drama about several families and their lives.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Nelson, I agree. I am curious to see if the producers will be able to maintain the level of music through the series. Some of the choices were a bit obvious (I liked the daughter asking her father if he was being ironic while listening to Chicago on the eight track.) Other observations:

Loved the retro CBS fireworks logo going into the first scene.

The editing between scenes was fairly strong although I hope they employ other techniques and don't have the one 'go to' edit. Using the egg on the plate was a nice touch at the breakfast scene near the end of the show.

The haircuts (especially the men's) brought back some '70s memories.

- Walter.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I'm surprised no one mentioned the music...advertisements. There's nothing better than watching a show and having a pop-up tell you how great that song is and where to go and buy it...

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
My wife noticed that.

I did notice an anachronism: An electrical socket in the kitchen had a ground-fault interrupt, which was not built into receptacles until the early 1980s.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Did this show get cancelled after one episode? Did CBS cancel this or has our local CBS channel decided to not air anymore episodes. At 9:45 pm Central time I turned to our local CBS channel and they were showing a Time-Life infomercial instead of Swingtown. My wife predicted this show would only last one episode even before the first episode aired.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
There was a time life --Commercial-- shown, that didn't last but a minute. The episode played as normal. I've no idea if the show will, or should, stick around but the pilot did quite well.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

Yep.

I'm a little tired of the former neighbors (the wife) playing the "hurt" card against Susan.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Watching last night's episode, I found that it contains MOSTLY original music. The one that stuck out as a remake is "Love Grows" by Edison Lighthouse (Susan at the train station). Whether it is them in a remake or some other group, definitely not original. It was not listed in the end of songs you can buy on-line. There may have been some other remakes, but some of the music was buried in the background and hard to tell. There was also bits on generic music in the background, too.

This show should be called "Desperate Housewives in the 70s". Not quite a comedy, not quite a soap opera. You have the swinger couples, the straight laced couple and the couple in the middle who are not sure which way to swing. So many references to things to make you notice this is the 70's, borrowing a dime to use the payphone at the Playboy Club all rolled into one. The scene at the stock exchange, no computers, just slips of papers, yelling and phone calls. What did look out of place was Trina jogging. Her outfit (tank top and shorts) did not look like something from the 70's more like the 90's.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The show is continuing to track the main character's reactions and changes to their lives as they met the swinging couple and experience their lifestyle and how it affects their best friends who are appalled at the life style.

I hope that was the intent as you can only go so far with the swinging. The lives of the kids are of interest too.

I thought it was mighty odd to see a Time Life commercial for the music of the Psychodelic era and Peter Fonda fronting it on a major network broadcast instead of on a local station during syndication repeats!

I think this show could be interesting. Is it the Wonder Years for this season or nostagia?

phil-w

Stunt Coordinator
I am really enjoying the show. Waiting an eternity for Big Love to return, this is the next best thing, in somewhat the same vein. The music of the 70's really makes this show special for me.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
sounds to me like most of the music is either fake bands or re recorded original
band.

the Heart song was heart but an obvious re-recording.
was it Crazy on You?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Finally got around to watching the second episode earlier today. This is rapidly becoming a favorite. The show is not taking itself too seriously with scenes like the opening dream sequence and the juggling of melons at the super market.

- Walter.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
The songs at the Playboy Club were a mixed bag. The Bee Gees "You should be dancing" sounded original (although it was already used in a dance sequence on That 70's show). "Rock your baby" by George McCrae also sounded like a remake, but it could be they added echo to make it sound like a dance club situation. All those little bits on various radios sound like they could be subbed out when it comes out on video and replaced with generic music if they needed to.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Episode 3, Double Exposure; Susan and Bruce and delving more into an alternative lifestyle after all.

Again, I was surprised, the music did for the most part sound real, and I was surprised by the caliber of the actual songs used like Bob Dylan and The Rolling Stones and Earth Wind and Fire. Wasn't entirely sure, but the Paul Simon song could have been real too.

Fondue, reminds me of an episode of The Odd Couple.

Joe:C

Second Unit

....and Enik the Altrusian :)

But seriously, I've liked the show so far. It's been interesting following the 3 main plotlines (parents, son, and daughter).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Molly Parker is one fine looking woman. Just waiting for her character Susan to get it on with her best friend's hubby...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Righ
Recent bookmarks