What's new

SWING SHIFT: An Argument Against OAR (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Yeah, but people still wont care if said full frame version ends up showing zombie boobs:D

I'll stop now...

:b - What the hell is this emoticon? Is it blushing? Is it a clown? What is it?

Rolando

Screenwriter
holy cow what happened here? I leave you kids alone for a while and you are on page 3 already and preparing to round up P&S advocators into OAR camps?

easy guys, easy.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

Ah, yes....the epic moral battle that will inspire a generation....I can see the image of Robert Harris at a studio not supporting OAR with his head on the editing block, waiting for the ax to fall, while having a bunch of celluloid clasped in one hand and yelling FREEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!;)

....too abstract for an effective joke?

Juan C

Second Unit
When shooting The Opposite of Sex, director Don Roos was fully aware of this phenomenon, so he shot the movie in open-matte with the exception of the shot where Christina Ricci drops her towel. He put hard mattes for that shot because otherwise the full-frame version would have had underage nudity.

For another example of full-frame extra content ;) in Mean Streets, see here and scroll mid-way.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
And actually my expression was, "Did everyone eat their crazyflakes except me this morning?" which I stole from Xander on Buffy. :)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
John, I just read the "Land Of The Dead" thread, Woah! You win, dude. What I've learned is that some people can't just read and accept another's opinion if it differs with theirs. They either belittle you, "That's silly." "You're nuts!" or they try to change your opinion by saying that you're wrong. They can't just state their own, respect yours and leave it be. I think "Gladiator" had a crap job done on it's new DD track. You won't buy LOTD because the theatrical version is not OAR. Fine. Those are our views. I am actually VERY pissed at Anchor Bay for releasing syndicated versions of "ROSEANNE", one of my favorite shows. One reason I am pissed at them is that they have "The COMPLETE first season!" on their DVD packaging which I feel is misleading and is even false advertising. I have made my opinion known and have been told to "get over it!" Why? It's my opinion. I am disapointed. And if I choose not to give Anchor Bay any $ for awhile, that's my choice. And I'm SURE someone will think I'm nuts and not only have a different opinion than me, but will not hesitate to specifically let me know this.

:) d

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Yeah, that thread proved to be an absolute nightmare, and the amazing thing is all of the worst parts of it are gone now, it got extremely unpleasant for me in there and almost prompted me to quit posting here at HTF altogether.

Of course, loving this place like I do, I quickly just sucked it up and moved on, happier days would come and they have thankfully. :)

I kid with you, Dave, about who got it worse you or me, but in all seriousness I make no comparison, having a bad time here at HTF, no matter to what degree, is never fun.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Don't forget the extra shots of the Terminatrix in Terminator 3's widescreen release... :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Haden,
do you mean the fullscreen release of T3?

I have the dvd in it's OAR and I saw no extra shot's of Kristana's below area, except her rear, and believe me i've looked. ;)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
John, it has been argued that in the theatrical version, the AR that played in theaters, you could see more of Kristana's.....area, and that when it was mastered to DVD the AR was altered so as not to see this extra.....area. Perhaps for the reasons that Robert Harris mentioned, her contract stated that we wouldn't be able to see her.....region?

Whether that is true or not I can't say but that was the rumor at the time.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
As I recall someone used the theatrical trailer as proof, if you do a google I'll bet you will find this somewhere.
But again, I don't know if that is true, I just remember this debate going on around here after the DVD was released.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I didn't think the fullscreen (open matte - super35..whatever) version had it either, I thought the point was that the director purposefully composed it for DVD so you couldn't see her because he was contractually obligated to do so....I think that was the discussion at any rate.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Definitely in the first "Vacation." There's a scene after the shower where she's starting to get dressed and you see hear full breast area in the mirror. Everything "nipple-down" is matted out, if I remember correctly.

Of course, the fullscreen version of the shower scene itself reveals a memorable goof: Beverly taking a shower in her (admittedly skimpy) bikini panties. I don't think this goof was ever corrected in any of the video versions that were released in 4:3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks