1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Swept Away to be a huge disaster?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DerrickRemmert, Jul 17, 2002.

1. DerrickRemmert

Dark horizons has just posted that Madonna is re editing the film because of negative reviews. Is she the editor for this flick? The report also says the director has lost interest in the project and has moved on to another film. This is starting to sound like another Glitter!

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

A link would be helpful.

It was almost guaranteed that this project would spark rumors of a flop in the making. There may or may not be any truth to them, but the notion that the star's husband (who's the director) has "lost interest" in the project seems a bit of a stretch.

M.

3. DerrickRemmert

I guess this is how you post a link. I hope it works!
    Forget it. The above link doesn't lead anywhere and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
    Hooray! I finally learned how to read and comprehend! Now my link actually works.
    link

4. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Madonna an editor? This is almost as funny as when Costner and Kurt Russell were supposedly "allowed" to edit their own versions of 3000 MILES TO GRACELAND.

5. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Is Madonna's Swept Away supposed to be a remake of the Lina Wertmuller film?

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Yes... it's a remake of that film.
    And it would seem that the hack Ritchie plus his wannabe actress/editor wife are creating something that just might set a whole new standard for ridicule and hilarity.
    So, don't fret no more, Kevin Costner. Relief may be on the way! [​IMG]

7. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit

It doesn't make any sense to me that they would remake this film in today's ultra-pc mind-set. It doesn't help that Madonna is a train wreck of an actor. Who was cast as the sailor?

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

9. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

10. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

11. Paul Chi

Paul Chi Stunt Coordinator

IMDB lists Jennifer Anniston as a cast member in the movie. Madonna is a good actress but she needs to do supporting roles. She does not have the capabilities to carry a movie yet. She needs to stick with supporting roles.

12. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I really can't agree with the assertion that Guy Ritchie is a hack. Even though Snatch was really a retread of Lock Stock it was still one of the funniest movies I saw that year. I can not stand Madonna's movies as well as her music but Ritchie's involvement has me somewhat interested. The original was so controversial but from stories I have read it almost seems as if they are trying to make this into a romantic comedy. I see the comic possibilities of the snotty rich girl and the lowly working man who hate each other being stranded together but the original was certainly not a romantic comedy. Didn't the male lead rape the woman
    in the movie? I don't remember. I saw most of this late one night on Bravo I believe.

13. DerrickRemmert

According to the official website says this movie has a completely different ending then the original. That can only mean one thing. "Hollywood ending" I liked Snatch but I think I'm going to skip Guy Ritchies latest.

14. Scott Thomas

Scott Thomas Second Unit

That scared for a minute, I thought you talking about "Spirited Away" the anime film by Miyazaki

15. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

I cherish my first view of Swept Away...by an Unusual Destiny in the Blue Sea of August - I was entirely unaware of this film, unaware of Lina Wertmuller, and unaware of Giancarlo Giannini. It flooded me with a feel of a soporific summer Sunday afternoon (for all of you Gabriel Garcia Marquez fans) and quasi-intellectual coffee shop idealism anchored in my college days.
    Do I think the remake of Swept Away will capture that magic and emotion evocative of my halcyon days? Probably not. If it's bad, than I'll have a good laugh at its expected and comparative camp. If it's good...well, we'll see. Who knows? Perhaps Madonna, given her long stretch of Anglophilia (living in London and marrying Guy), has finally discovered nuance, taste, and talent.
    I suspect the principals behind this production felt that since the original, enough generations have passed to successfully exorcise any lingering memory from the national zeitgeist. I'd have a hard time believing that Madonna's core audience is familiar with the original.
    Good luck Madonna...I hope you have the same effect on a new generation of Swept Away fans that Mariengela had on me during my adolescence.