What's new

Sweet Liberty? (1 Viewer)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Any chance of getting this 1986 Alan Alda movie on everyone's favorite shiny, round format? It's one of my favorite satires but is currrently only available on VHS. (Though the VHS is at least priced to own.) I think it's owned by Universal. Does this mean it a matter of wait and see?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm totally with you on this one, Dan. I saw this one in the theaters and remember really liking it. Excellent cast!

I believe you're correct in calling it a Universal title.

So that's TWO copies sold! C'mon Universal! :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
it was just on amc the other day and it is hard to turn it off because it's so good.

i turn it off do to amc's lack of showing commercial free and non wide showings of movies.
not to mention editing the movies, which i just did.

i'd buy it.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Nice little movie, although I like The Four Seasons a little more for a young Bess Armstrong in a bikini.:D

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Another fan of SWEET LIBERTY checking in.

Loved the scene where Alda takes over the scene in the director's film, doing the three things the director says everyone looks for in a film (Defy authority, destroy property, and take people's clothes off). Very funny scene.

Michael Caine and Michelle Pfeiffer are both very good in it too.

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
I found out that this is coming in a few weeks as part of Universal Studio Selections.

AND.....

ITS in FOOL SCREEN!!! 2.35:1 ->Full Screen?

Cloak and Dagger coming in....

FOOL SCREEN!

8 titles coming out. 3 in full screen. Way to go Universal!

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Whoa.... That REALLY pisses me off. I've been looking forward to owning both of those movies on DVD...and now I never will!

Thanks, Uni. :thumbsdown:

(Edit: I'll reserve my actual venom until this news is confirmed as fact. Nothing personal, Tim, but I'm holding out hope that you're wrong!) :D

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
Scott, for a little proof...look at the cover scan pages at the digital bits and then click on the covers to go to amazon.com:)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
tim, i couldnt find any info at amazon for cloak, or sweet liberty other then.....

"Product Details

Starring: Alan Alda, Michael Caine, See more

Director: Alan Alda

Encoding: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. This DVD will probably NOT be viewable in other countries. Read more about DVD formats.)

Rated:
Studio: (studio name not provided)
DVD Release Date: November 23, 2004
From IMDb: Quotes & Trivia
ASIN: B00049QJPM

Average Customer Review: Based on 11 reviews. Write a review.

Amazon.com Sales Rank (DVD): 4,974"

even dvdplanet and dvdempire,(they always have front and back) dont have a pic yet or screen format details.

Jimmy M

Second Unit
Man, I've been waiting for this one. Mostly because I was an extra in it, you can see me, and if you turn up the volume you can hear me say "No way." I guess I'll have to stick with my (also full screen) Laserdisc.

Here's hoping that somehow this gets a widescreen release...

Jimmy!

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
The pics say it all plus purchase info at Amazon....not to burst any bubbles:)

Thats interesting, Sweet Liberty has always been fullscreen on video. Hmm..

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i'm not seeing it anywere.

do you have a link?

purchase info?
i already posted the "product details" in an earlier post
what pics?

this one doesnt show anything.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Full Screen?
Not to defend Universal, but SWEET LIBERTY was not 2.35, and almost certainly was shot open matte. I agree it's not preferrable and it's too bad for 16:9 TV owners, but it beats AMC with commercials for me, not to mention VHS, certainly for $10 or under.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i enjoyed this film as well, whenever i've caught it on cable.
a purchase at the under $10 price point would have been almost a certaintity at some point...but the MAR presentation squashes that.
while i too doubt this was filmed in anything beyond open matte- what this, and the other December/January releases releases announced, augers though is very disheartening
months after the sale to NBC, one of the most reliable studios for OAR presentations is now serving up Wal-Mart friendly full screen pap.

this is not a good sign.
Universal was my wild card studio this year...just when they looked like they were going to be making huge strides (new monster titles, finally releasing some Noirs, finally getting in gear with their tv properties) they take a big slide backwards.

sad to see

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I guess with the under $10.00 price point you really get what you pay for. I'm saving money NOT buy Universal product that is hacked like the new crop of Studio Selections. I WOULD HAVE purchased this title along with ICEMAN, CHARLEY VARRICK, and COLOUSUS, THE FORBIN PROJECT. UNIVERSAL REALLY SUCKS!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks