Sweet Charity- opinions on the movie and disc?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Paul_Scott, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i like McClaine, but the running time of this things sounds a little daunting.
    anyways, hows the movie, and the disc?

2. AlanP

AlanP Supporting Actor

Great DISC for 9.99 on a certain website, that will
    remain unnamed !!!!!
    The extras are great as it the sound and the disc
    itself, is as great as the day I saw it when it opened.
    Shirley looks smashing !!!!
    IF THEY WOULD ONLY RELEASE THE SOUNDTRACK NOW ????????????
    HINT HINT HINT !!!!!!!!!

3. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

Just finished watching this disk.

The picture is amazing, beautifully detailed and so bright and colorful!

But something is definitely wrong with the sound, and I wish someone could confirm what it sounded like in 1969.

The center channel seems too hot sometimes, or the background music too soft. Other times, the dialogue just drops out, and I didn't know if this was on purpose or not (notably, when Montalban brings out the dinner and says each dish, it can't be heard at all, suddenly the music track is too hot).

In one place, there is a garish note on a trombone? that seems wrong, out of place (at the end of If My Friends Could See Me Now).

Otherwise, this is a fine disk, I really had no idea what a good movie this is.

4. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

5. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

Sweet Charity is a musical adaptation of the Fellini masterpiece, Nights of Cabiria starring Fellini's wife, Giulietta Masina in one of her greatest performances.

If you're a fan of Sweet Charity , you owe it to yourself to see the original.(Cabiria is available on DVD from Criterion.)

6. Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi Supporting Actor

Joe Bernardi
    I like Shirley McClaine too, and have the DVD on order, but I was spoiled by seeing Sweet Charity on Broadway with the original Charity, Gwen Verdon.

I absolutely loved Verdon, quirky voice and all. I remember seeing her on the Ed Sullivan Show in scenes from Damn Yankees and Sweet Charity.

7. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

8. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    If everyone loves this film and Shirley so much, how about spelling her name correctly ?

It's MacLaine !!!

[​IMG]

Sounds like a blind purchase to me - but maybe I'll wait until Joe Caps sounds off on this one.

9. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

I'm in the minority on this I know, but if it weren't for the alternate ending option, I would never be able to enjoy this movie on repeat viewings. The first time I saw it on VHS with just the original ending I felt ripped off. The alternate ending, while not "artistic" was better and funnier IMO.

10. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

11. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

We can just be happy both are there then. Now if only there were a seamless branching option to let those of us who really feel strong about the alternate ending see it in proper film context!

12. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

I prefer the alternate ending- besides, I hear it's what Fosse really wanted as an ending to the film. Either way, Charity Hope Valentine lived hopefully ever after!!!

13. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

picked it up tonight and chapter skipped a bit thru it to check the transfer.
    actually, when i said i was a fan of MacLaine, that was based on The Apartment and Irma La Douce.
    i got a bad feeling from the little snippets i saw here, but i'll try to keep an open mind when i do sit down to watch it.
    at the least, it seems to have some good late 60's NYC location work.

even if it doesn't end up being my cup a tea, hard to get too upset since i only spent $10.
    shouldn't lose too much when i sell it.

anyways, thanks for the opinions

14. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

The alternate ending is a travesty and Fosse certainly didn't want it and the film's ending stays faithful to the play's ending which Fosse also directed as well as the original source material's ending, Nights Of Cabiria.

15. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

The original ending may still be faithful to the play, the source material and Fosse's favorite, but it's still a gyp IMO.

16. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

Actually, the play's ending is quite different, although they don't end up together. In the play's ending, they meet at the bridge, and that's where he gilts her, accidentally pushing her off the bridge. The actual ending of the movie, with the flower children, isn't very successful, but the point remains that she is optimistic despite the difficulties of her life. It's quite similar to Gone with the Wind.

I think Shirley MacLaine is tremendously effective in this movie. If you watch the scenes and skip the very effective dances, Shirley gives an Oscar-winning-calibre acting performance. Just watch two scenes: when she's conversing with Montalban and when she's breaking up with John McMartin. Her character is very successfully developed as a mixture of brightness and undereducation, shyness and gregariousness, pathos and strength. Her phone call back to her friends (after the breakup) is a paragon of good acting. I wish she hadn't always worn those false eyelashes, but I suppose that was what normal women wore in the 60s... but they hide her eyes, a lot of the time (on my big screen).

This movie was overlooked because when it opened, its style was already dated (it seems more like 1965 than 1969). Now, of course, it out-60's Austin Powers -- the costumes in particular seem hilariously right-on.

Bob Fosse alone among Broadway choreographers knew how to use the camera (his early career was in Hollywood musicals like Kiss Me Kate). Note the deep focus which really livens up his original choreography for "Big Spender." And he makes sly allusions to that other New York musical of the 60s: West Side Story. The number "There's Gotta Be Something Better Than This" is a Latin-flavored dance very reminiscent of "America" from WSS. Fosse sets it on a rooftop! like the original, and there is the original Anita from the Broadway show, Chita Rivera, to help the audience connect to the parody. In another allusion, after the "Rich Man's Frug," Montalban asks Charity to join him on the dance floor. She quietly walks up, and the music cue is an unmistakable pickup from "Dance at the Gym" from WSS, as if she is Maria and he is Tony. They slowly come together while other dancers are frenetic around them, and then Charity steps on his foot. Parody ends with a hilarious punchline.

There are some sound problems on my DVD, but otherwise, I'm absolutely thrilled to have this. But why no commentary? Certainly Shirley herself is available, and so is Chita and John McMartin. Fosse and Verdon are sadly, gone.

One more thing: having not seen this movie for 15 years, I was quite surprised how much Renee Zellweger (in Chicago) reminds me of Shirley MacLaine, in her mannerisms and even looks.

17. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

Finally saw it last night and was floored by both the performances and the dance numbers. This movie seems to either hold up well with age or the style has just made a comeback with the popularity of Chicago.

18. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I despise MacLaine, but despite her presence in every scene I like this movie quite a lot. It's well-staged and the musical numbers are knockouts. I haven't picked up the disc yet, but intend to do so. For under $10, if you do like MacLaine, you won't be sorry.

19. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

20. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    The first thing I have to do when I finally
    pop the shrink wrap is go to the Sammy Davis Jr.
    number. One of my all time favorites!