What's new

International Sweet Charity comes to blu ray France August 24th (1 Viewer)

babsdude

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Got it!!

This Blu-ray is gorgeous. The sound is really spectacular, too.

Playing it on my Oppo player, I have no Region problems. The only annoying thing was that there are French subtitles over the musical numbers only. Using my Control4, I could not shut them off. I had to get out my original Oppo remote and press the 'subtitles' button, and that took care of them: "Off."

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Got it!!

This Blu-ray is gorgeous. The sound is really spectacular, too.

Playing it on my Oppo player, I have no Region problems. The only annoying thing was that there are French subtitles over the musical numbers only. Using my Control4, I could not shut them off. I had to get out my original Oppo remote and press the 'subtitles' button, and that took care of them: "Off."

While I only use the Oppo remote, once I'd selected English audio and no subs I had no such issue as subtitles over musical numbers.

Reactions: PMF

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I'm guessing there are two sets of French subtitle tracks: one to be used with the English track and one to be used with the French dub as the songs were not dubbed in French?

Real Name
adr
My copy arrived tonight! Holy cow! What a brilliant transfer! The soundtrack rocks in all the right places, check out the separation in "The Rhythm of Life" fro a fine example. No intermission music, but a slug. Beautifully done. Thank you HTF for pointing out this disc to me! Next up are BFI'S WOMEN IN LOVE and Crriterion's VALLEY OF THE DOLLS.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Here is a custom cover I put together for the new Blu-Ray

Sweet CharityHTF.JPG

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
Glad there's so many positive reviews. I think I'll hold off a few months though and see if it gets a domestic release. I like the film very much, but there are several elements that really don't work well for me and some that really date it badly. I would love to see an expanded version of the soundtrack CD released; the original is long OOP and was missing alot of great music.

kangaroo

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
Is my mind playing tricks or is the soundlevel 50% down during the line -even an African can learn (Theres gotta be something) I Take it that the line is a little insulting these days. On utube clips theres no soundlevel drop 5 second soundlevel drop 1.02.16sec

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just discovered this thread.

I take it this is available through Amazon.uk?

I am a bit hesitant. With such a wonderful transfer all around, I can't believe Universal won't release this domestically in the near future.

EDIT: Went back a few pages to see source of purchase. Now comparing prices between Amazon France and eBay.

EDIT 2: No eBay offerings. $31 total (with shipping) from Amazon.fr

Are there forced subtitles over the songs? Did I read that correctly?

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I have some information, but I have to stress to take this with a grain of salt. I know someone that works at Universal Pictures close to the home video department, and I mentioned the three musicals, Millie, Charity and Flower Drum. She would not say anything but at the end of the conversation she said I was going to be a happy man with Universal titles near the holidays. Now whether this means they will be releasing another round of classics, or those three titles in particular (which we discussed earlier in the conversation), I do not know and she told me she has to keep things confidential or it could mean her job. So I wanted to pass that along here because it sounds like good news either way, either it is more pre-1970 classics or the 3 musicals (she has known for a long time how much I want those 3 titles on blu-ray).

In thinking about this, doesn't the holidays seem like a perfect time to release musicals? Maybe a set of the three? And since Sweet Charity has released elsewhere in the world, this could be a reality here. Of course, at the same time it could mean, say, a set of Jimmy Stewart movies, or maybe a sci-fi Universal set with titles like Tarantula, This Island Earth, It Came from Outer Space, Mole People, ect.

So let's keep our fingers crossed and if she does let me know and says I can pass it along, I certainly will. In the meantime I wouldn't go cancelling any orders for Sweet Charity because we just don't know.
Well, well. The holidays came and went and there were no surprises from Universal.:(

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
This could be a variant of an old joke, where I defend the quoted post by noting that the poster did not say *which* holidays. Maybe the surprise will emerge, specifically, during the Thanksgiving holidays in *2019*!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Well, well. The holidays came and went and there were no surprises from Universal.:(

I'm glad you remembered this post also. I was somewhat disappointed when there was not an announcement. Well, I was majorly disappointed.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Titles always get pushed back. Universal had their big holiday release last year with The Marx Brothers Collection. I think there was something else, too.

Of course, I don't have any information. I don't talk to the Universal team regularly. Even if I did, we already know the studios keep everything close to their vest.

My personal opinion is that Sweet Charity is a forthcoming release. If this unbelievable transfer already exists internationally, I can't see Universal not releasing it domestically.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks