1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Blu-ray Review Sweet Charity Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Matt Hough, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Cinematographer

Brad
    For that matter, lets just go all the way back to1955 (in the DeLorean :rolling-smiley:) to Artists & Models (1955) and a young Shirley MacLaine (The Bat Lady) pursuing a young Jerry Lewis.
    Dang, she was cute back then.

ahollis, JohnMor and PMF like this.
  2. Message #22 of 30 Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Shirley was probably unavailable, off on a set somewhwere. She’s still cranking ‘em out every year, God love her. :wub:

PMF likes this.
  3. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    She watching Hadestown with me in late May. She enjoyed it very much and had know idea Charity was coming out on Blu-Ray. I asked her. Lol

Will Krupp and JohnMor like this.
  4. Gary Press

Gary Press Auditioning

Got my copy yesterday and am deeply disappointed by the very low audio level on the dialogue track. I'm fortunate to have an excellent 5.1 system and have never had this problem with other musicals, concerts or operas on Blu-ray. When I first noticed how low the dialogue was, I immediately fired up test tones and everything was fine. I also checked out the Roadshow's 2.0 track - it was slightly better. I then switched to the Alternate Edition disc. Same problem. Even checked out the Dolby Commentary track - that track was very loud. Something is very wrong. I've been a television producer for years, having worked on a number of musicals - and I do know audio mixes.

JohnMor likes this.
  5. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    If you go to the Robert Harris thread you will see I said this exact thing yesterday. Put your response there because that's where the discussion is ongoing. I had to crank the volume up about ten db to get it to my normal listening level for other films. The French Blu-ray's sound isn't low - it's perfect.

MatthewA and JohnMor like this.
  6. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    So essentially we have perfect video on the Kino and perfect audio on the French. Ugh! Well, the French will have to see me through until I get a really good sale price on the Kino.

PMF likes this.
  7. warnerbro

warnerbro Supporting Actor

Darrell
    The good news is it looks and sounds beautiful! It looks like 70mm. Visually it is absolutely stunning. The colors and detail are incredible perfection. You can see every freckle on Shirley MacLaine. I enjoy the vintage documentaries and value their inclusion. It’s strange that on the roadshow version, they have the same title card and black section that is on the bootleg version on YouTube and the previous versions — minus the music! It’s like they just decided to leave it off. Very disappointing. Also, I don’t understand why Kino has decided to use commentators lately who only want to discuss the psychological and social meanings of the story and give you very little background on the actual production or the actors. I don’t think she even mentioned Stubby Kaye’s name.

Richard M S and JohnMor like this.
  8. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    My “favourite” part of the commentary was the interminable comparison with the Fellini original, which I have heard of but never seen. How about including it for an extra if so many references were to be made. It certainly was valuable to see Lillom on the Carousel Blu ray.

9. usrunnr

usrunnr Writer

usrunnr
    "Got my copy yesterday and am deeply disappointed by the very low audio level on the dialogue track. I'm fortunate to have an excellent 5.1 system and have never had this problem with other musicals, concerts or operas on Blu-ray. When I first noticed how low the dialogue was, I immediately fired up test tones and everything was fine. I also checked out the Roadshow's 2.0 track – it was slightly better. I then switched to the Alternate Edition disc. Same problem. Even checked out the Dolby Commentary track – that track was very loud. Something is very wrong. I've been a television producer for years, having worked on a number of musicals – and I do know audio mixes."

I agree. This is the worst sound ever. Muffled, it sounds like it was recorded/dubbed in a tiny room far away. Music overwhelms dialogue.

10. Marco S

Marco S Stunt Coordinator

Yeah-Wasn't that part of the Blu Ray experience?

warnerbro, MatthewA and Richard M S like this.