What's new

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
And about halfway between those two came a little thing called Steel Magnolias. Even that would have been more relevant to a commentary that's supposedly about Sweet Charity. Where do they dig up these people? Couldn't they get, oh gee, just for an example, Shirley freakin' MacLaine? She's still alive, you know.
For that matter, lets just go all the way back to1955 (in the DeLorean :rolling-smiley:) to Artists & Models (1955) and a young Shirley MacLaine (The Bat Lady) pursuing a young Jerry Lewis.
Dang, she was cute back then.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
And about halfway between those two came a little thing called Steel Magnolias. Even that would have been more relevant to a commentary that's supposedly about Sweet Charity. Where do they dig up these people? Couldn't they get, oh gee, just for an example, Shirley freakin' MacLaine? She's still alive, you know.

Shirley was probably unavailable, off on a set somewhwere. She’s still cranking ‘em out every year, God love her. :wub:

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Gary Press

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary Press
Got my copy yesterday and am deeply disappointed by the very low audio level on the dialogue track. I'm fortunate to have an excellent 5.1 system and have never had this problem with other musicals, concerts or operas on Blu-ray. When I first noticed how low the dialogue was, I immediately fired up test tones and everything was fine. I also checked out the Roadshow's 2.0 track - it was slightly better. I then switched to the Alternate Edition disc. Same problem. Even checked out the Dolby Commentary track - that track was very loud. Something is very wrong. I've been a television producer for years, having worked on a number of musicals - and I do know audio mixes.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Got my copy yesterday and am deeply disappointed by the very low audio level on the dialogue track. I'm fortunate to have an excellent 5.1 system and have never had this problem with other musicals, concerts or operas on Blu-ray. When I first noticed how low the dialogue was, I immediately fired up test tones and everything was fine. I also checked out the Roadshow's 2.0 track - it was slightly better. I then switched to the Alternate Edition disc. Same problem. Even checked out the Dolby Commentary track - that track was very loud. Something is very wrong. I've been a television producer for years, having worked on a number of musicals - and I do know audio mixes.

If you go to the Robert Harris thread you will see I said this exact thing yesterday. Put your response there because that's where the discussion is ongoing. I had to crank the volume up about ten db to get it to my normal listening level for other films. The French Blu-ray's sound isn't low - it's perfect.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
If you go to the Robert Harris thread you will see I said this exact thing yesterday. Put your response there because that's where the discussion is ongoing. I had to crank the volume up about ten db to get it to my normal listening level for other films. The French Blu-ray's sound isn't low - it's perfect.

So essentially we have perfect video on the Kino and perfect audio on the French. Ugh! Well, the French will have to see me through until I get a really good sale price on the Kino.

Reactions: PMF

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
The good news is it looks and sounds beautiful! It looks like 70mm. Visually it is absolutely stunning. The colors and detail are incredible perfection. You can see every freckle on Shirley MacLaine. I enjoy the vintage documentaries and value their inclusion. It’s strange that on the roadshow version, they have the same title card and black section that is on the bootleg version on YouTube and the previous versions — minus the music! It’s like they just decided to leave it off. Very disappointing. Also, I don’t understand why Kino has decided to use commentators lately who only want to discuss the psychological and social meanings of the story and give you very little background on the actual production or the actors. I don’t think she even mentioned Stubby Kaye’s name.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
My “favourite” part of the commentary was the interminable comparison with the Fellini original, which I have heard of but never seen. How about including it for an extra if so many references were to be made. It certainly was valuable to see Lillom on the Carousel Blu ray.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
"Got my copy yesterday and am deeply disappointed by the very low audio level on the dialogue track. I'm fortunate to have an excellent 5.1 system and have never had this problem with other musicals, concerts or operas on Blu-ray. When I first noticed how low the dialogue was, I immediately fired up test tones and everything was fine. I also checked out the Roadshow's 2.0 track – it was slightly better. I then switched to the Alternate Edition disc. Same problem. Even checked out the Dolby Commentary track – that track was very loud. Something is very wrong. I've been a television producer for years, having worked on a number of musicals – and I do know audio mixes."

I agree. This is the worst sound ever. Muffled, it sounds like it was recorded/dubbed in a tiny room far away. Music overwhelms dialogue.

MaxMorrow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter Roberts
Albeit, there's no one right way to record one. But, by most accounts, there's definitely a wrong way; and Kat Ellinger is it.:D

By some accounts, maybe. But Ellinger is rather well-respected in other circles, and certainly is held in high regard amongst a sizable group of her peers. Obviously, we're all entitled to our opinions, but know that there are plenty out there who would disagree with the vitriol being thrown her way here.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
By some accounts, maybe. But Ellinger is rather well-respected in other circles, and certainly is held in high regard amongst a sizable group of her peers. Obviously, we're all entitled to our opinions, but know that there are plenty out there who would disagree with the vitriol being thrown her way here.
Vive la difference, for I have zero issues as to where others may find their pleasures.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Good review Matt. I share the disappointment with others re the omission of the entr'acte and exit musix. Both have terrific orchestrations of songs from the excellent score.
I found the commentary well-researched ( aside from the errors you cited), comprehensive (especially regarding the original stage show) and enthusiastic. Kat Ellinger did another good commentary for UNDER CAPRICORN. I enjoy her colloquial British accent too. I am surprised that the commentary was not combined with the longer, Roadshow cut which has the original, sad ending.
I have always admired this innovative, highly cinematic musical which was sadly underrated and under-appreciated on first release. I believe in Australia both versions were shown in 70mm. I have only seen the shorter cut in 35mm (and got a shock when the sad ending occurred in the premiere tv broadcast, as I did not know as a teen that two endings were filmed).

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
I wonder if anyone else has my problem with this disc:

It plays perfectly on my Panasonic Blu-ray machine but on my Cambridge Audio Azur 650BD (ten years old and related to Oppo) it does something I've never seen before.

Whatever I choose from the menu it plays the sound but doesn't switch the picture from the menu display. On a few of the Special Features it switches to static information or the Gallery but refuses anything that moves!! And that's my main system with a projector.

I looked at the software version but it's the latest so I'm baffled.

I'd be grateful for any useful comments. Many thanks.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
UNANSWERED QUESTIONS.

The previous post is mine from November 14 last year and nobody has commented since.

What's more disturbing is that several weeks ago I wrote to the disc producers describing the problem, also without an answer.

Can it be that my machine is the only one in the world that won't play this film? And that the producers would rather conceal the problem than discuss it ? - or send me a replacement in the hope that the set I bought was a fluke?

I'm supposed to settle for buying an expensive set that doesn't work and no other buyer has experienced it and the manufacturers would prefer to ignore it.

THERE HAS TO SOMETHING BETTER THAN THIS .....

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Odd that there should be issues with the Cambridge, one of the better brands out there.
For audio I use my Cambridge 99, which plays HD audio (24-96) which I record on bland DVD discs to perfection. And its DVD output is fab too. For blu rays I have an Oppo 83 for Region B and an Oppo 203 for Region A and UHV.
What a shame Oppo has left the scene!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks