What's new

Sweet Charity (1969) coming to Blu from Kino (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Given what I feel is the disastrous 4K "restoration" that was Irma La Douce, I'll wait from some reports on this. The French Blu-ray, which is, I believe, region-free and therefore has been available to everyone for a few years, is obviously not a new transfer, but it looks pretty spiffy.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The Pre-Order price of "Sweet Charity" is asking for 40 bucks.
For KL they seem to be reaching higher than usual and on the lines of a Criterion.
At this price, definitely no Pre-Order until the reviews are in, as there's always France as the back-up and for $10.00 less.
Nonetheless, I wonder if a 40 buck price-tag is any indicator that a lot of extra work went into this particular transfer.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Pre-Order price of "Sweet Charity" is asking for 40 bucks.
For KL they seem to be reaching higher than usual and on the lines of a Criterion.
At this price, definitely no Pre-Order until the reviews are in, as there's always France as the back-up and for $10.00 less.
Nonetheless, I wonder if a 40 buck price-tag is any indicator that a lot of extra work went into this particular transfer.
Any thoughts?
It's $10 more than their usual $29.95 MSRP so what do you think?;)

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
It's $10 more than their usual $29.95 MSRP so what do you think?;)
Like Charity Valentine, herself, my middle name is Hope.
Furthermore, unlike France, it comes with an essay of favor;
ergo, most likely, I'll go where Kirgo.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
With most initial listings, the price usually drops substantially by release date. I expect SWEET CHARITY will be no different.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don’t know anything about this film; why is it so popular? What’s so great about it?

Wow. Opinions will vary.

I think the hype is mainly due to the fact that fans have been waiting a very long time for a U.S. release.

Is it a great musical? IMHO not when you line it up against the greatest movie musicals ever made.

However, on its own merits, its a pretty good film that most of us grew up with or saw in film school.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Wow. Opinions will vary.

I think the hype is mainly due to the fact that fans have been waiting a very long time for a U.S. release.

Is it a great musical? IMHO not when you line it up against the greatest movie musicals ever made.

However, on its own merits, its a pretty good film that most of us grew up with or saw in film school.

Thanks, Ron!

I know a lot about a great many films, but that one passed me by...

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I don’t know anything about this film; why is it so popular? What’s so great about it?
"Sweet Charity" is a diamond in the rough;
yet, there is far more about this film that is pitch-perfect and simply fantastic.

Historically, we've got Bob Fosse's foray into film directing. When first viewing "Sweet Charity" in 2019, it's important to note that this work was released in 1969. Up until that time, when a motion picture was being released and promoted as a known musical - and a Roadshow, to boot - then this signaled to parents that they were in for an afternoon or evening of "family" fare. Well, hold onto your hats kids; for "Sweet Charity" the film was a cleaned up version of a Broadway musical that catered to the grown-ups and was based on Fellini's "Nights of Cabiria (1954). Paraphrasing a Bob Fosse interview, "How do you make a G-Rated musical about a prostitute?" IMHO, the film of "Sweet Charity" is a patch-quilt example of a genius at work; especially when factoring in these very constraints and obstacles that the studios had imposed upon Mr. Bob Fosse. Always, always; from his very first film; he pushed the envelope. And three years later, upon the release of "Cabaret", one gets a stronger idea of exactly where "Sweet Charity" might've landed, if its director were given freer reign.

"Sweet Charity" marked the transition of film musicals; flaws and all

Now, without any spoilers, here are the strengths and pleasures of "Sweet Charity":

Bob Fosse's choreography, as captured through the wide lens of 3-time Oscar winner Robert Surtees.
Edith Head's costumes, as worn by each of the Fosse dancers and getting a darned good workout.
The Sound, as you just can't beat a score that's been arranged by the legendary brilliance of Ralph Burns.
Shirley MacLaine's dancing, as co-choreographed by Gwen Verdon who originated the role on Broadway.
Sammy Davis, Jr. going in for the kill and nailing it with his rendition of "Rhythm of Life".
Ben Vereen, in some youthful and early career moves; so keep a sharp eye out;
as you'll spot him in the episodic "Rich Man's Frug" nightclub numbers and "Rhythm of Life".
And then there's Chita Rivera, Broadway's original Anita of "West Side Story" finally getting her due in a film musical; while, ironically, strutting it out on yet another NYC rooftop.

Again, "Sweet Charity" may have its few certain flaws;
but at the heart of this film there is a far greater strength, exuberance and vulnerability;
not unlike Ms. Valentine, herself.

Last edited:

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher

Sweet Charity is adapted from a hit Broadway show that is more or less itself an Americanized adaptation of the Fellini film Nights of Cabiria. The stage show starred Gwen Verdon and was directed and choreographed by her then husband, Bob Fosse. (They are the subject of the current mini-series being discussed in another thread here on HTF.) The score is by Cy Coleman and Dorothy Fields, and is full of energy and melody. (In fact, it is being presented in a special concert version this June in NYC.)

Sweet Charity was Fosse's first film (he later directed the Oscar winning Cabaret). The film includes much iconic Fosse choreography, especially for Big Spender, There's Gotta Be Somewthing Better Than This, and Rich Man's Frug. It is both a heart warming and heart breaking story. One thing this film does very well IMO is create the world that the characters live in. It is very atmospheric and evocative of its time. Outstanding performances IMO from Shirley MacLaine, Chita Rivera, John McMartin and Stubby Kaye.

The film was released on laserdisc in its roadshow version, complete with Overture, Entracte and Exit Music. The musical numbers only were presented in semi-widescreen. When the DVD was released, it was in full widescreen, however, the Entracte and Exit Music were missing, as was a crucial several minutes of the film itself (I am sure that was a mastering error and not intentional). Therefore, fans like me have been hoping for a high-def release that fixes those problems. I am fairly happy with the French blu, although it does not contain the Exit Music. I will gladly buy this one if it improves on the French release, but I will wait to read reviews here first.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Enough of the outstanding Broadway score remains to retain the "feel" of the stage musical (though neither of the 2 1/2 new songs equals any of the stage score's numbers). Shirley MacLaine was the best available Hollywood star name who could sing and dance the part (though I saw a national tour with Gretchen Wyler that put Shirley's singing and dancing to shame, and I also saw Gwen Verdon on Broadway, enough said). Fosse's major missteps in the direction are because he's learning his craft AND trying to be innovative at the same time, and sometimes those elements are at odds with one another.

I'll have more to say if I (a) get to review it, or (b) buy and watch it later.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
"Sweet Charity" is [...]
Sweet Charity is [...]
Wow, if one were to look at the time stamps of both posts; being only 4 minutes apart;
it would reveal that we were actually writing our takes on "Sweet Charity" at the exact same time.
That kind of stuff on timing and coincidence has always intrigued me.
Anyway, I gave yours a "Likes" because it was tighter and, well...because I liked it, too.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Wow, if one were to look at the time stamps of both posts; being only 4 minutes apart;
it would reveal that we were actually writing our takes on "Sweet Charity" at the exact same time.
That kind of stuff on timing and coincidence has always intrigued me.
Anyway, I gave yours a "Likes" because it was tighter and, well...because I liked it, too.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Thanks, I liked yours, too! Very good analysis IMO. And yes I noticed the timing as well.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
After finally getting to see it for the first time recently, I enjoyed it far more than its reputation led me to believe I would. In fact, I really, really liked it. It isn't perfect, as it starts to drag a little in parts, IMHO, but for lovers of Musicals, it's absolutely worth watching for Fosse's choreography and glimpses of his directorial talents that would blossom fully in Cabaret and All That Jazz. I just wish that he had gotten more opportunities to direct. While I'm not a big fan of Star 80, I adore Cabaret, All That Jazz, and Lenny.

bestactor

Agent
Real Name
TJK
Watching Fosse/Verdon brought reminds me how deeply I've been attached to Fosse & Verdon since childhood, watching their movies on TV, getting to see their live productions as a young adult, etc. I loved the movie of Sweet Charity when it had already been cut. When I finally saw a fully restored roadshow version I was astounded by how much material Fosse was inspired to "reflect" from Fellini's Cabiria. I think Fosse's film of Charity is a masterpiece. The sum of its parts may be greater than the whole, but the parts are so powerful. Amazon keeps changing the release date. Now it's Aug. 20. I'll keep waiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks