What's new

Pre-Order Sweet Charity (1969) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]One scene that really gets me is when Charity goes to the job interview. Shirley plays that so well. I am sure we have all had a moment in our lives when we suddenly realized we were out of our depth, and that stunned feeling of disappointment. Again, IMO Shirley plays that so believably.
I agree wholeheartedly. Love every scene and frame of the film, and the job interview scene is heartbreaking. I think Shirley is as great in Sweet Charity as she is in The Apartment.
I'm not coat tail grabbing, here, but I couldn't agree more. I found the interview scene to be painfully vulnerable, raw and multi-layered; as it was the epicenter of Charity's trap and tragedy in a life, to which even her dreams could not rescue her from. Now, with that said, between her dancing and the rest of her performance throughout, this interview scene should've cinched it for Shirley MacLaine to receive an Oscar nomination.

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I found the interview scene to be painfully vulnerable, raw and multi-layered; as it was the epicenter of Charity's trap and tragedy in a life, to which even her dreams could not rescue her from. Now, with that said, between her dancing and the rest of her performance throughout, this interview scene should've cinched it for Shirley MacLaine to receive an Oscar nomination.

Sweet Charity received three Oscar nominations:

ART DIRECTION
COSTUME DESIGN
MUSIC (Score of a Musical Picture--original or adaptation)

The Actress nominations that year were: (to include Shirley, which one would you eliminate?)
Genevieve Bujold, Anne of the Thousand Days
Jane Fonda, They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
Liza Minnelli, The Sterile Cuckoo
Jean Simmons, The Happy Ending
Maggie Smith, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

Shirley MacLaine's always been one of my favorite actresses. I've been thinking of getting the UK release of her brief TV series, Shirley's World.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero

ART DIRECTION
COSTUME DESIGN

The Actress nominations that year were: (to include Shirley, which one would you eliminate?)

Shirley MacLaine's always been one of my favorite actresses. I've been thinking of getting the UK release of her brief TV series, Shirley's World.
Not Fonda, not Simmons, not Smith; and Minnelli has that telephone scene...

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]The Actress nominations that year were: (to include Shirley, which one would you eliminate?)
[...]
Impossible to eliminate any one single actress from above;
so I would've opted to eliminate all five to make certain that Shirley got the edge.;)
No doubts, though, this is one of the tightest, most deserved roster of Best Actress nominees ever.:thumbs-up-smiley:
Perhaps they should've released "Sweet Charity" in the following year and had eliminated Ali MacGraw for Love Story.:D
FILE UNDER: Snubbed means never having to say you're sorry.:lol:

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Impossible to eliminate any of the above.
One of the tightest, most deserved roster of Best Actress nominees ever.
But, since you asked, I would've released "Sweet Charity" in the following year and had eliminated Ali MacGraw for Love Story.:D
FILE UNDER: Snubbed means never having to say you're sorry.:rolleyes:
I would eliminate Love Story from History. Period.

Reactions: PMF

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad

ART DIRECTION
COSTUME DESIGN

Yes I have a soft spot in me soul for Shirley MacLaine as well. If you’re interested in what a young Shirley was like, check out Artists & Models (1955), available online.

Compare that with her performance 34 years later in Steel Magnolias (1989). I’m still LMAO over Shirley’s locker room scene from that film.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Yes I have a soft spot in me soul for Shirley MacLaine as well. If you’re interested in what a young Shirley was like, check out Artists & Models (1955), available online.

Thanks, Brad...I love the "Bat Lady," LOL! Around three years ago a friend and I watched Artists & Models and I thought it was a hoot. And a year later AMPAS had a screening of it at their Goldwyn Theatre, so I decided to go see it on the big screen with a full house!

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I would eliminate Love Story from History. Period.

"There's gotta be something better than this..." Heh!

The interesting thing about Love Story that I read once is that Erich Segal supposedly had written it as a screenplay and shopped it around a long time and no one wanted it, so he adapted it into a book. The book took off big time and then they all wanted it.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I also skip scenes in 'Sweet Charity', just like Will. But hell, after watching a movie 20 times or more, it makes sense to switch to one's favourite musical scenes. I do that in the Fred and Ginger movies too, and in 'South Pacific' and 'Carousel' ... that's what chapters are for. Life's getting shorter and I need to see more and more favourite things!
At least, thanks to a cataract removal last week, everything's more vibrant. Next one in July. And the third in December. Maybe I'll be able to watch two movies at once.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I also skip scenes in 'Sweet Charity', just like Will. But hell, after watching a movie 20 times or more, it makes sense to switch to one's favourite musical scenes. I do that in the Fred and Ginger movies too, and in 'South Pacific' and 'Carousel' ... that's what chapters are for. Life's getting shorter and I need to see more and more favourite things!
At least, thanks to a cataract removal last week, everything's more vibrant. Next one in July. And the third in December. Maybe I'll be able to watch two movies at once.
Drei augen?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

Maggie Smith, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.

Honestly? All except Jane Fonda (who should have won). My own five nominees would have been:

Jacqueline Bisset The Grasshopper
Claire Bloom Three Into Two Won't Go
Jane Fonda They Shoot Horses Don't They?
Shirley MacLaine Sweet Charity
Barbra Streisand Hello Dolly

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
One scene that really gets me is when Charity goes to the job interview. Shirley plays that so well. I am sure we have all had a moment in our lives when we suddenly realized we were out of our depth, and that stunned feeling of disappointment. Again, IMO Shirley plays that so believably.
In my opinion, her very best scene in the whole movie. I got a huge lump in my throat the first time I saw it, and it affects me the same way every time I see it.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

ART DIRECTION
COSTUME DESIGN

I would eliminate either Simmons or Minnelli that year. I think both performances are somewhat overrated. Good, but just not on par with the other nominees that year.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Sat in behind Shirley MacLaine at the Walter Kerr Theatre tonight for the performance of Hadestown. Got one of those still pixie smiles when we were evaluating another theatergoer’s dress. A lovely lady.
So cool.
BTW, you should've slipped her a piece of paper with some HTF info on it, so she could've found this thread.
I bet Ms. MacLaine would be tickled pink to learn that 50 years later she's still currently in contention for a 1969 Oscar nomination
Regardless, ahollis, I'd rather be the recipient of just one of those "pixie smiles" over having 3840 pixels any day of the week.:cool:

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Dear Kino Lorber,

I would like to be the first to do a review on your upcoming 4K restoration of "Sweet Charity". Of course, with all the supplemental materials included I should need to take extra time and good care with these set of discs, to which your staff has prepared. Therefore, I would like to recommend that KL send me a single copy of "Sweet Charity" well in advance of the street date; maybe within this first week of July; in order for me to do my meticulous best within my research, prose and professionalism.

Sincerely,
PMF:)

NOTE: If anyone can think of a more creative way of coaxing a copy of "Charity" from Kino, prior to its tortuously long wait of August 20th, then please let me know. Darn it, maybe I should've offered to pay for the shipping, as well.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Dear Kino Lorber,

I would like to be the first to do a review on your upcoming 4K restoration of "Sweet Charity". Of course, with all the supplemental materials included I should need to take extra time and good care with these set of discs, to which your staff has prepared. Therefore, I would like to recommend that KL send me a single copy of "Sweet Charity" well in advance of the street date; maybe within this first week of July; in order for me to do my meticulous best within my research, prose and professionalism.

Sincerely,
PMF:)

NOTE: If anyone can think of a more creative way of coaxing a copy of "Charity" from Kino, prior to its tortuously long wait of August 20th, then please let me know. Darn it, maybe I should've offered to pay for the shipping, as well.:rolleyes:
So what you're saying is you've gotta have a gimmick ;) !

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
This is a fun movie with great dancing, great music, great numbers, great costumes. I saw it when I was very little when it first came out. There is a funny story that someone overheard a man say to his wife during intermission: "Barbra Streisand is so good in this!" His wife says, "That's not Barbra Streisand. She did Funny Girl." The man said, "I thought this was Funny Girl."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks