What's new

Pre-Order Sweet Charity (1969) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Attachments

• 81UetiO7V-L._SX522_.jpg
    81UetiO7V-L._SX522_.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 203
Last edited by a moderator:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Too much. The movie really does not hold up well at all.

We are still a long way from street date so I expect that price to come down even more.

However, the fact that is is a 2-disc set won't help much.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The movie really does not hold up well at all.

I've lost count of the many times I've seen Sweet Charity since I first saw the original Roadshow presentation at the St. Francis theatre in San Francisco in 1969. Enjoyed Shirley MacLaine's superb performance, the thrilling Bob Fosse choreography, the Cy Coleman and Dorothy Fields songs, the poignant narrative etc. Now you've told me it does not hold up well at all. Oh dear, why didn't someone tell me? I had no idea. Thanks for that information. Now, I know.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Come on guys, all opinions are welcome on this forum. If you don't agree with a film opinion then counter with your opinion. If you think it's a trolling post then ignore it and don't respond to it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We are still a long way from street date so I expect that price to come down even more.

However, the fact that is is a 2-disc set won't help much.
I think it's going to come down some more too, but it's a film title that I can wait to buy during one of Kino's sales.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Come on guys, all opinions are welcome on this forum. If you don't agree with a film opinion then counter with your opinion. If you think it's a trolling post then ignore it and don't respond to it.
I did ignore it although I am intrigued that someone who had posted only three times in nearly seven years felt the need to make that point.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I have a somewhat counter-opinion about this one but please bear with me till the end of the story because I've realized it's indicative of WHO we are as part of HTF culture (I think.)

SWEET CHARITY is one of those movies I periodically put on over the years but realize I never really watch the ENTIRE thing and I sort of skip around to the parts I love.

A friend of mine and I were planning to watch FOSSE/VERDON as a team and HE had only previously seen PAJAMA GAME and CABARET. I determined we should probably watch DAMN YANKEES, SWEET CHARITY and ALL THAT JAZZ prior to the series so that it all made sense to him. YANKEES and JAZZ went over like gangbusters, but watching CHARITY all the way through I found a complete and utter slog. It felt endless and with so many production numbers that by the time "I'm a Brass Band" came on I thought I would go out of my mind. I stammered and explained that I usually only watch the parts of the movie I want to see and that I'm partial to and that it has been a long time since I've watched the whole thing with context and I'm sorry that the whole is less than the sum of its parts and blah blah blah.

He (who is all about streaming and makes fun of me for having so much physical media) says "Well, at least that's one that's so bad you won't need to buy the blu-ray."

I looked at him like he had two heads and said, "What are you talking about? OF COURSE I'M BUYING THE BLU-RAY!!" :)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Will - there are several musicals that I’ve either seen so many times or find then a little boring in the script that I just skip to the musical numbers and sometimes watch the numbers two or three times back to back, Sweet Charity is one of those and I have the Blu-Ray on order too.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I love the film of Sweet Charity from beginning to end. What it does very well for me is create its own world believably, despite being over the top in some cases. I got the French blu, and watching it projected in a dark room I felt like I was there with real people.

One scene that really gets me is when Charity goes to the job interview. Shirley plays that so well. I am sure we have all had a moment in our lives when we suddenly realized we were out of our depth, and that stunned feeling of disappointment. Again, IMO Shirley plays that so believably.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I love the film of Sweet Charity from beginning to end. What it does very well for me is create its own world believably, despite being over the top in some cases. I got the French blu, and watching it projected in a dark room I felt like I was there with real people.

One scene that really gets me is when Charity goes to the job interview. Shirley plays that so well. I am sure we have all had a moment in our lives when we suddenly realized we were out of our depth, and that stunned feeling of disappointment. Again, IMO Shirley plays that so believably.
And that scene was written for the movie. It is not in the Broadway musical and I agree that it is a great scene!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I've waited far too long for "Sweet Charity" to arrive on BD;
let alone as a 4K restoration, 2 Discs and an essay from our beloved Julie Kirgo;
so I'll be darned if I'm gonna wait an extra couple of months, just to see if I can save 3 more bucks.
"Chow me down, baby", it's a Day One deal.:)

Last edited:

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

I agree wholeheartedly. Love every scene and frame of the film, and the job interview scene is heartbreaking. I think Shirley is as great in Sweet Charity as she is in The Apartment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks