Sweeney Todd!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by alan halvorson, Mar 10, 2002.

1. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

A while ago I started a thread on the Holy Grails of the laser disc world. One of them was Sweeney Todd. I have never seen this title but the writeup in IMDB is so good that I just gotta have it. However, the LD is extremely rare and always goes for big bucks (there's one on Ebay now, ending today - the price is starting to rise). Dvd Price Search now lists Sweeney Todd as coming to dvd in May; however, unlike the LD version, this one stars Patti LaPone instead of Angela Lansbury.
    So, my inquiry is this: Anyone know anything about the Patti LaPone version? Is it comparable to the Angela Lansbury?
    Thanks

2. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

The Sweeney Todd laser disc which I happily own was an actual filmed performance of the show during its Los Angeles run (which I also saw).
    The Patti LuPone version that is coming out is a concert performance of the show shot in San Francisco, I believe. Which basically means little in the way of sets, costumes etc. In other words, the actors perform the show for you but in a more informal way that an actual production.

3. Sarah S

Sarah S Second Unit

That sounds a lot like Les Miseeable In Concert; something I avoided because I feel that if you are going to watch people performing the show, I want to see all the costumes, set pieces etc (performance) rather than people standing in front of microphones.

I guess I'll wait.

4. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I still have my VHS of SWEENEY TODD and watch it every now and again. It's a great show. Unfortunately, it's fast wearing out. It's not Macrovision protected, so I have a backup, but still. WHEN ARE WE GONNA GET THIS ON DVD? It's considered one of the best musicals ever written and the cast is superb! I wonder who owns the rights now? It was originally out on RKO video and then Turner. So maybe WB owns it now? It's worth writing someone at WB to find out.

5. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    The Sweeney Todd from SF IS a concert performance that the San Francisco Symphony put together. It's quite good but it's not performed on sets. The cast moves around on runways and platforms surrounding the orchestra. Semi-staged, as they say.

As in the LD Sweeney, you get George Hearn as Sweeney (he good but it's too bad there was never a video of Len Cariou who created the role). Patti LuPone has high and low moments as Mrs. Lovett, IMHO. The real high points of the SF performance for me are Neil Patrick Harris as Tobias and the great Tim Nolan as Judge Turpin.

Overall, the old LD is a much more effective performance but, of course, if you're a huge fan of the show, you'll want both. Too bad we can't GET both.

6. Alan Benson

Alan Benson Stunt Coordinator

Yeah -- the LD/VHS release was a performance by the original *touring* cast, so we got Lansbury, but not Len Cariou or Victor Garber (as Anthony...) Still, Hearn does a fine job, and I -- like everyone else in this thread, presumably -- am dying for a DVD release...
    I'm eager to see this in-concert version, too... I've been too broke to buy the 2nd soundtrack, which has been out for a while...
    Of course, what I *REALLY* want is for Julie Taymor (Titus, Lion King) to direct a gory, big-budget movie version starring psycho-song-and-dance-man Christopher Walken... [​IMG]