Sweeney Todd & The Last of Sheila - April 20

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Kenneth_C, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Kenneth_C

Kenneth_C Second Unit

According to Playbill.com, Warner Bros. will be releasing DVDs of both the 1982 production of Sweeney Todd (starring Angela Lansbury and George Hearn) and the 1973 Herbert Ross film The Last of Sheila (written by Sondheim & Tony Perkins) on April 20.

Sweeney will be full frame (which is OAR), with "restored and remixed" video and audio (Dolby 5.1). Unfortunately, there are no special features. List is $24.98.

Sheila will include commentary from Richard Benjamin, Dyan Cannon and Raquel Welch [​IMG] and list for $19.97. No mention in the article of audio or video specs, however.

Full article at http://www.playbill.com/news/article/84077.html

Both are MUST BUYs for me.

2. Kenneth_C

Kenneth_C Second Unit

Whoops. Was in the wrong forum when I posted this.

Mods please move.

3. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

Glad that Sheila is coming out since that's another essential own for Raquel fans (coming on the heels of Fox's boxed set).

4. Claude North

Claude North Second Unit

The Last of Sheila is indeed great fun, and will be a most welcome DVD release. Interesting that three cast members will be providing commentary. According to Split Image, Charles Winecoff's biography of Anthony Perkins, there was considerable tension behind the scenes. Furthermore, in Boze Hadleigh's Hollywood Gays, Joan Hackett is quoted as saying, "That film was a nightmare for all concerned. Most of the cast and crew hated each other's guts..." I wonder if the commentary tracks will provide any insight into the alleged animosity.

5. PaulEB

PaulEB Stunt Coordinator

At last Sweeney Todd with George Hearn on DVD!

6. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

The press release has stated that SWEENEY TODD will be widescreen, which is sadly MAR.

For someone so enamored with the camera work, it's a shame it's being cropped.

7. Conrad_SSS

Conrad_SSS Second Unit

I think it's very likely that the reference to widescreen is a publicity mis-print.

8. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

The info at DVD Planet says The Last of Sheila will be 1.85, anamorphic, if that can be trusted.

9. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    So, is 1.85 the proper aspect ratio for The Last of Sheila ? I thought the AR is part of imdb information, but I couldn't find it.

10. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Sweeney Todd? I've wanted this for a very long time.

11. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

You're right, Randy, IMDb only says that Sheila was filmed with Panavision cameras and lenses, it does not give an aspect ratio. Maybe one of our resident AR experts with greater resources at his or her disposal can answer this one for us.

12. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    I hope that the AR being issued is correct. I haven't seen this in widescreen since 1973.

13. Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks Second Unit

Scott Shanks
    I saw The Last of Sheila a couple of months ago on HDNet Movies. It was 1.85:1. There were quite a few print flaws in that tranfer, but overall looked very good. Can't wait to pick up the DVD. I wasn't expecting any extras when this was released. Yahoooooooo!!!!

14. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

picked this up a couple weeks ago and just thought i would mention that it was a blind buy, and i thoroughly enjoyed it.
    great fun.
    i fancy myself a film buff, but i was completely unfamiliar with the title.

great job by Warner on this disc.
    i very much appreciate the fact that they go to a little trouble for catalog titles like this.

its great to be able to finally catch up with good movies from decades past and see them in a format that attempts to replicate the original theatrical experience as much as possible.

also- besides this film and Sleuth and probably Deathtrap- does anyone have any other reccommendations for 'puzzle' films?
    i was excited to finally see Sleuth some years back after hearng nothing but good things about it, but it left me really cold.
    maybe i should give it a second chance.